Couple of questions

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Jackofjr
Apprentice
kayak: Nil

Couple of questions

Post by Jackofjr »

Just wondering what you Blokes do to stop stuff from disappearing inside the hull , l have just stuffed a 13" inner tube in one of the hatches , the scupper tubes stop it expanding forward , l will see how it goes.

The foam blocks that come with the yak , do you stick em in place with silastic ?

I took my daughter for a paddle late Saturday arvo , l managed to tip the thing over ,didn't mean to , l was able to turn it back upright easy enough but getting back on was a different story , need to practice that .

I was a little surprised how much water got in the hull , it wasn't upside down for long .

I did a search before posting this and have seen Rhino's very good video , will watch it a few more times .

All suggestions / info much appreciated

Jacko
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: Couple of questions

Post by shane »

0408 565 763
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

I use a laundry basket in the Oasis (same hull design) cut to height and stuffed in the hatch hole in front of you.

Front hatch I just use dry bags as storage, a thick one with ice keeps fish cool and also stores drinks etc..

Was a hatch left open or even the front hatch not secured?
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

I had dry bags tied to carabina clips with different coloured ropes.
You can slide a few different dry bags in there and the pull them back out via the rope.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
Jackofjr
Apprentice

Post by Jackofjr »

Thanks for the tips and links , l will go have a look in Bunnings ,

All the hatches were closed when we went R/sup , l think maybe the front hatch could be pulled down a bit tighter , l will try and tighten the bungy cord .

Another question, has anyone fitted a couple extra handles to the front , l load it upside down , lifting the front above my head first , it's bloody awkward with nothing to grab hold of and its a slippery sucker , maybe it's me that's awkward and l have to refine my technique.

Jacko
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by Anthony »

I would recommend getting some of the weeping strap with rubber grip style handles. You can get them off eBay for less than $10 a piece. They're fairly rigid giving you a much more solid grip on the kayak. Installing them is easy, just need to use a few bolts, nuts and washers.

The seals on the hobie front hatch is very average. I use the gear bucket that comes with the PA in my front hatch so I just added some car door seals from Clark Rubber to the lip of the bucket but it would be easy enough to add some seals onto the the kayak its self. I've also made the bungees a bit tighter but that does make it a bit more difficult to access the front hatch on the water.
Jackofjr
Apprentice

Post by Jackofjr »

Thanks l checked out eBay , I will get a couple of the handles
Jacko
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

I put velcro tape on the inside of the hull and have a couple of tackle boxes specially for the yak with velcro on the underside so they don't slide out of reach while on the water. It's stood up well so far.
Jackofjr
Apprentice

Post by Jackofjr »

We plan on going away for few months next year , the Yak will be sitting on the top of the 4x4 out in the sun , should l get a cover .

Thanks Jacko
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

Not unless you have money to spare. Open a hatch to allow air expansion and loosen the straps so you don't deform the hull if it's sitting stationary in the sun for long periods. And think about a method of securing it to the vehicle if you will be parking it in popular holidays spots etc. A few go walkabout from car tops every now and again.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other