orange safety flag

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

orange safety flag

Post by Ghurkin »

Im making up an orange hi viz safety flag today, if ever I needed proof that they can be seen from some distance away it was yesterday at a gummy hunt on Westernport Bay. As I paddled out with Squid ink and Justo something caught my eye at what Im guessing is about 2- 3 klms away, the channel between French island and Jam Jerrup is just under 3klms and the flag was north of me.

I guess the pictures speak for them selves, get a flag, take it with you, I know I will from now on :up:

P.S. I suspect it was Luckyjack's flag as he often fishes up that way
Last edited by Ghurkin on 04 Feb 2012, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: orange safety flag

Post by cheaterparts »

I must say Ghurk me oid mate on the way over to you guys yesterday I couldn't see you or squidly blue kingfisher or robs outback but the yellow PA stood out very well

inside about a km the blue yaks could be seen but the yellow yak easy over twice that distance
it is interesting how hard yaks are to see even when you know where to look and in daylight on a smooth sea

I know I didn't put a flag on yesterday but the proof is there we all should
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

cheaterparts wrote:I must say Ghurk me oid mate on the way over to you guys yesterday I couldn't see you or squidly blue kingfisher or robs outback but the yellow PA stood out very well

inside about a km the blue yaks could be seen but the yellow yak easy over twice that distance
it is interesting how hard yaks are to see even when you know where to look and in daylight on a smooth sea

I know I didn't put a flag on yesterday but the proof is there we all should
well that basically confirms what Im saying here :up: Im thinking hi viz orange flag with reflectors and small mirrors mounted on the light pole up high, that way the flag will be about 2 mtres above the water.

stay safe people, be seen 8-)
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
CabinetMaker
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback - Ivory Dune

Post by CabinetMaker »

I ( well ok my Mum :shhh: ) made my flag cut out of an old Hi Viz vest with the reflective tape. Works a treat :thumbsup:
viperdevil
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Hobie Outfitter & Sevylor Pointer K2

Post by viperdevil »

cheaterparts wrote:I couldn't see you or squidly blue kingfisher or robs outback but the yellow PA stood out very well

X2

I could not see any other Kayaks apart from the Yellow Yaks for a while and the safety flag is well worth for the safety and comes in handy for locating. Kayak sits so close to the water and it is hard to see at times especially by the stinkers when they are chatting with their mates onboard and cruising at 1000knots .....
Praz
Justo
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by Justo »

cheaterparts wrote: but the yellow PA stood out very well
Yeah buying it in yellow was a very conscious decision, after almost being run over by a stinker off Ricketts whilst sitting in my previous aqua coloured yak. I reckon the visibility is also due to the extra freeboard of a PA, they seem to sit a bit higher out of the water than other yaks.
momunny
Square eyes
kayak: Yakless

Post by momunny »

Yep Time to make a new Hig Viz safety flag....mine is 2m below the water line... :lol: :lol:

Hey Ghurkin,

Can you post a close up of your flag. Thanks!
Cheers,

Momunny
viperdevil
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Hobie Outfitter & Sevylor Pointer K2

Post by viperdevil »

Couple of sample pics.... Can be made with a thin PVC pipe or a yard stick from bunnings I guess
Attachments
pic2.jpg
pic2.jpg (11.75 KiB) Viewed 17395 times
pic 1.jpg
pic 1.jpg (7.76 KiB) Viewed 17395 times
Praz
snapperboy
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback red

Post by snapperboy »

were do you guys mount yours do uyou just put it in a rod holder or something like that
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

I got orange safety flags for both my yaks from Bunnings at the trade desk. Nice size and tough material on a wooden stick for $2.50 each.

The wooden handle slides nicely into a piece of PVC pipe that can be mounted into a scupper hole or attached to a rocket luancher etc.
0408 565 763