Lights for snapper season

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Mordy
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback Yellow

Re: Lights for snapper season

Post by Mordy »

Jesse,
I'm in the same boat as you , just looking around at the moment.
Want to make sure that they are waterproof not just water resistant.
Or at least have one that is water proof and others not so.
Tekatite 4 led has been recommended before and sounds like a good product. around the $40-50 mark

No good your lights going out when you need them the most!!!

http://www.rowingboatlights.com/generallights.html
http://www.tek-tite.com/src/product_info.php?id=33
Some great design fellas (I'll be back! :evilgrin: :evilgrin:
Tony
Tickers
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie PA

Post by Tickers »

How do you find the lights go with battery life? What battery is being used? I have a 12v which runs my finder.. I have some water proof led's which I am going to install on the deck for vision while baiting etc. I'm playing with ideas like this with a few left over led strips possibly. I have not been out nights yet as Im still setting things up for it and getting to know the areas i will be fishing better during the day. Am i missing anything else anyone can suggest apart from 360 viewable light above yak, lighting for deck and a led head lamp. Navigation wise at night do you just rely on land based vision and your gps?

Cheers
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker ~
Ron Burgundy
vikodin
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

Tickers wrote:How do you find the lights go with battery life? What battery is being used? I have a 12v which runs my finder.. I have some water proof led's which I am going to install on the deck for vision while baiting etc. I'm playing with ideas like this with a few left over led strips possibly. I have not been out nights yet as Im still setting things up for it and getting to know the areas i will be fishing better during the day. Am i missing anything else anyone can suggest apart from 360 viewable light above yak, lighting for deck and a led head lamp. Navigation wise at night do you just rely on land based vision and your gps?

Cheers
Just a warning about putting LED lights in front of you on the deck, this usually blinds you from seeing anything, in my experience you would want them behind and slightly above you.
Tickers
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie PA

Post by Tickers »

vikodin wrote:Just a warning about putting LED lights in front of you on the deck, this usually blinds you from seeing anything, in my experience you would want them behind and slightly above you.
Thanks HOPEFULLY this is not an issue, I was going to mount the ones on the deck under the black mounting brackets on either side of the PA. This will mean the light is not direct just reflected light and if too bright i can remove some of the lights to tone it down a little.
Warning noted tho, you may be entitled to an i told you so soon :lol:
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker ~
Ron Burgundy
HaTTerS
kayak: None (temporarily)

Post by HaTTerS »

A self contained option along the same lines:
http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... +pole#p194
Poised on the edge of sanity.
Darren
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Darren »

I didnt read every post here so not sure if its known or not but i was in BCF warrni today and they had those light strips there on a roll with all the ropes. Buy as much as you like and think it was $39 per metre.
vikodin
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

HaTTerS wrote:A self contained option along the same lines:
http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... +pole#p194
I reckon that's where I borrowed a few of my ideas from although thats a lot more sufisticated.

I would love to see a group of us who have these lights on the water at night at the same time, would be like the sun came up again!
HaTTerS

Post by HaTTerS »

vikodin wrote:I reckon that's where I borrowed a few of my ideas from although thats a lot more sufisticated.
That's ok, because I like the way you spaced the wrapping out on yours and made the viewable surface area ten times bigger. I'm borrowing (read stealing) that off you :thumbsup:
vikodin wrote:I would love to see a group of us who have these lights on the water at night at the same time, would be like the sun came up again!
I'd love a photo of that!
Prangler
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

Post by Prangler »

vikodin wrote:
jessejaay wrote:This weekend I will be heading to bcf to get some nav light and what not for my hobie sport,
So if anyone can tell me or show me some photos of how they have rigged up safety lights that would be great,
Look forward to your feed back
Hi Jesse,
I decided that I needed light for safety and for seeing at night so killed two birds with one light, found a 12v waterproof flexible led strip on ebay and spiraled it down a pvc pipe.
It's ridiculously bright as you can see by the photo's
DSC00373.JPG
DSC00374.JPG
DSC00345.JPG
Since these pic's I have been more ridiculous and added more leds
here's an updated pic
I took these pic's with the flash off
I just slide the pvc pipe in one of my scupper holes and have a loop of bungy holding it secure
It's connected to my sounder battery, it's one of the best things I did to the yak as I love night fishing.
All up cost me about $20.
I have seen this light pole, and there is no possible way you can miss this man! :up: 8-) :up:
"If the fish are biting, i'll be home late...If they aren't biting, I'll be home late!"
HaTTerS

Post by HaTTerS »

As snapper season is heating up, I thought it a good opportunity to give this thread a :bump:
Be Safe, Be Seen.