All members please read!

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

All members please read!

Post by Widsa »

Please take the time to read through Elm's tips below regarding safety, it could save your life.
Also see here http://www.transportsafety.vic.gov.au/m ... d-kayaking
And read this http://www.transportsafety.vic.gov.au/_ ... ochure.pdf
ELM wrote:With the 2011 - 2012 Snapper season falling quickly upon us, it is probably a good time to make sure you are well prepared. Last season there were a lot of reports pf kayaks on the water after dark with no lights, people not wearing PFD's etc.

Don't be inconsiderate of others, or ignorant of the regulations and more importantly, don't put yourself or anyone else at risk.
Governments impose stupid regulations, when people do stupid things. Don't be stupid and have stupid regulations imposed on this great, relatively free sport.

If you don't have lights, get them. While the regulations state all you need is a torch. A torch is not nearly enough to be seen and safe, get yourself some decent lights and reflective tape. The brighter the better. Will your lights survive a dunking and keep you illuminated after a capsize or signal help if needed. Even if you only plan to fish the evening and be off the water before dark, you never know what may happen, better to be safe than sorry.

Make sure your PFD is in good order, safety knife fitted, a torch or strobe or both, a whistle or horn, maybe a UHF or VHF radio, dry bag/case for your mobile phone?

Make sure your Mirage drive or paddle is in good condition, and how about a backup stored inside your hull?

Do you have a bailer of some type (required by law),small bucket, hand pump, electric bilge pump (is your battery big enough and in good condition)?

Do you have flares, are they still in date? No they are not a requirement, but handy to have all the same.

Are your kayak clothes up to scratch, will they keep you warm in an extended immersion and then once wet, protect you from the wind chill if you do go in. It also gets darn cold just sitting out there in the dark when you have baits soaking, will you be warm enough? Would be a shame to have to quit just as they come on and your toes are frozen and killing you.

Have you practiced re-entry yet, no good waiting for the water to warm up, half the season will be over by time that happens. Get out there and get wet with a buddy. Also practice saving others, how to approach, how to assist a recovery.

No booze, booze and kayaks don't mix. Save it for when you get home.

Remember to take some spare clothes and towel with you.

Make sure you have a good ruler and know the regulations. Measure fish from tip of snout with mouth closed, to tip of tail. 28cm - a Maximum of Ten (10) of which no more than 3 fish may be equal to or exceed 40cm in length.

Do you have an emergency plan ready, emergency phone numbers in your phone, emergency contacts listed and somewhere in or on your kayak in case it or you are found in trouble alone.

Make sure someone knows where you are going and an estimated time of arrival back.

By all accounts, it is going to be another cracking season. I hope you all get to make the most of it, but more importantly, do it safely year after year.
Guys/Gals, have a great Red season :yahoo:
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
koucs
kayak: hobie pro angler & wavedancer

Re: All members please read!

Post by koucs »

Great safety tips. appert from all the useful tipswhich i mostly follow.since safety is very important.i have one more to add to your advice, I tied a 3 mtr safety line with a carabina at its end ,next to my seat .The last thing i need to to if i capsise or fall overboard is to chase my kayak which drifts a lot quicker than i can swim. Its simple & at the end of the day it is easier to spot a kayak from the distanse,than a head in the water.
snapperboy
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback red

Post by snapperboy »

thanks heaps for that there are a few things i will do like i will get some flares and a bail bucket (i didn't know that was compulsory) also are the lights only compulsory if youre out at night?? thanks heaps
Widsa
Site Admin

Post by Widsa »

snapperboy wrote:thanks heaps for that there are a few things i will do like i will get some flares and a bail bucket (i didn't know that was compulsory) also are the lights only compulsory if youre out at night?? thanks heaps
You should always carry a bailer of some sort, it has saved my ass once!

In regards to the lights, only a waterproof and bouyant torch is required by law but you would have to be absolutely mental to only carry that during low light.
It is simple IF YOU GO OUT IN LOW LIGHT CONDITIONS A BRIGHT ALL ROUND WHITE LIGHT IS NEEDED.
Yes you may not get fined for not having an all round white light but you stand a good chance of getting run over by another boat.

I know the temptation to stay out when there is a hot bite and the sun is setting (usually a great bite time) but dont do it!
Get your lights ready before you go so you can fire em up BEFORE dark.
Also take a headlamp to see what you are doing, and if a boat is coming too close give them a couple of flashes.

Sorry to ramble on here but we have all seen yakers without light far too often.

Widsa
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
Widsa
Site Admin

Post by Widsa »

Updated original post with links to transport safety Victoria website and their guide to kayaking safely.
I think a waterproof VHF and All round white light should also be recommended in their guide.
manonaquest

Post by manonaquest »

there's gals on this site..... where?????
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

ELM wrote: Are your kayak clothes up to scratch, will they keep you warm in an extended immersion and then once wet, protect you from the wind chill if you do go in. It also gets darn cold just sitting out there in the dark when you have baits soaking, will you be warm enough? Would be a shame to have to quit just as they come on and your toes are frozen and killing you.
although the water is quite warm atm over winter and early spring I know WP gets down to 10 deg less ( about 50 deg in the old scale )
not sure what PPB temps are around then but its cold enough

http://gcaptain.com/cold_water/?11198

this is worth a read
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
JackCracker
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie PA

Post by JackCracker »

As well as my anchor light (attached to flag), I also have a navigation light (green one side ,red the other, makes it easy for boats to distingish what direction you are travelling) wich easily fits on the bow with a suction mount, they are quite cheap found mine on ebay for about 20 bucks.In terms of bailers there are plenty of fold away models ..as we know space isnt a luxury yakkers have
Chevvy
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA14, Riot escape 12, Wavedance Calypso

Post by Chevvy »

Technically displaying an all round white light as well as coloured directional lights identifies you as a powered vessel. By only displaying all round white light you have right of way from every vessel under 25m so boats don't have to expect you to move or expect you to be able to give way if the situation arises. I'm pretty sure this is right, correct me if I'm wrong
Salmon 50cm, squid 40cm, port Jackson 110cm, KGW 37cm, elephantfish 53cm, Snapper 53cm, ling 39cm
JackCracker
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie PA

Post by JackCracker »

You are probally right , i just like the idea for visability reasons