Kayak transport - bow/stern tie downs?

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Kayak transport - bow/stern tie downs?

Post by laneends »

I leave my folded vantage seat on, but load it backward so the wind doesn't have a tendancy to lift it. I also have it more securely leashed to yak than relying on standard mounts.

If carrying right way up then cradles or similar are essential.

Also when strapping down rather than running straps over the top wrap them fully around the yak crossing them over under the bars. Its far more secure and wont "squash" the hull down, which can slacken them off, and it eliminates any side to side movement. You may slightly longer straps using this method.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

clintos wrote:
frappa11 wrote:You leave the vantage seat ON the kayak when you rooftop it ?!

I asked the question from the hobie deal and they said "no no" to that !
Yes - this surprised me also! I went to remove it and the guy said they are fine, you just lay it all the way backwards and tie it off. It actually makes sense when you see it.
I had this in my cheaper chinese yak but not in the PA, i the trailer i strap it down, but as said i only live 500m - 1k from launch, if you can fold it all the way back then all the better, but it would depend on the material the seat is made from, if you get flapping then this will cause it to tear :cry: like i sead i dont remove mine but in reality i probably should, if i want it to last ;) btw i often head out off st leonards for squid and ting and the odd flatty, if you ever want some company dont hesitate to give me a call ;) it's also a good trip to head down to swan bay on the outgoing tide then come back via the incomming makes for a good day out :up:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

Always store/d my kayaks right side up so the wind is deflected by the bow.
Turn it upside down and the wind coming off the bonnet/screen is pushing up into a nice wind grabbing cavity.
Also adds to fuel consumption by increasing wind drag.
I understand some yaks sit better upside down (like rooftop tinnies) but it increases the upward force on the racks & will mean using more fuel.
Never used cradles either, just tie your yak in a few spots & don't overtighten.
Cradles/stirrups maybe for skinny yaks to keep them stable but the rest it's not necesary.
John 3.16/17
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

Yako wrote:Always store/d my kayaks right side up so the wind is deflected by the bow.
Turn it upside down and the wind coming off the bonnet/screen is pushing up into a nice wind grabbing cavity.
Also adds to fuel consumption by increasing wind drag.
I understand some yaks sit better upside down (like rooftop tinnies) but it increases the upward force on the racks & will mean using more fuel.
Never used cradles either, just tie your yak in a few spots & don't overtighten.
Cradles/stirrups maybe for skinny yaks to keep them stable but the rest it's not necesary.
Do you rooftop the PA? I've almost finished the T loader, while trying it out yesterday the PA kept sliding to one side, this is because my driveway is on a slight grade. So far im happy using the T loader and once it finished i think it will come in very handy, i must say the PA looks like a ship on top of my Fairmont lol :shock:
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

Seasherpa wrote:

Hi Clint,
Extra tie downs are never a bad idea, the front is security under acceleration and the rear under emergency braking. Even if you aren't using front and rear ties you can loop the centre straps trough a handle or scupper to help prevent a wet hull squeezing out from underneath the straps like a whiting. I wouldn't recommend bungee or ratchet straps for kayaks, use cambuckles for the cradles and either a rope with a truckies knot, or a purpose made tie down (avail for <$50 from Anaconda) will do the job.
In the transport world, ropes are no longer considered "load restraints". Bungees I don't think have ever been considered "load restraints" and in my opinion should not be used as such in any capacity on the road. A couple of years ago I roof topped my PA14 up the centre to Darwin, across to the Gulf and east coast Queensland and home....12000 kms on three roof bars with two ratchet straps. Had one issue with a strap chaffing through on a sharp edge along the corrugations of the Oodnadata Track but that was it.
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
Yako
Lord of the fish

Post by Yako »

peatop wrote:
I did car top using a T bar towball loader on my small hatchback but with this car it’s too high (if I was as tall as Shane or others 6’4 or more it would be no issue)
I build my own side loader with winch to draw it up (just copied what was on the market but a fraction of the cost)
I generally use a trailer much quicker to load & unload unless taking yaks & van together.
Attachments
071CD007-A834-492A-88FD-DFAD941F4382.jpeg
John 3.16/17
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

spider25160 wrote:
In the transport world, ropes are no longer considered "load restraints". Bungees I don't think have ever been considered "load restraints" and in my opinion should not be used as such in any capacity on the road. A couple of years ago I roof topped my PA14 up the centre to Darwin, across to the Gulf and east coast Queensland and home....12000 kms on three roof bars with two ratchet straps. Had one issue with a strap chaffing through on a sharp edge along the corrugations of the Oodnadata Track but that was it.
In my experience some in the transport industry know very little about how to transport kayaks, but that’s another story. I do agree with you on the bungees though. Interestingly our industry’s peak governing body Paddle Australia (formerly Australian Canoeing) still have a mandatory assessment at every level for securing kayaks for transport using ropes.
The reason I don’t like ratchets (for kayaks) is beacause they get over tightened particularly by beginners, causing stress cracks in composite kayaks and indents on the underside of plastic ones as I’m sure Ghurkin has seen his fair share of too.
What I was trying to convey was that to avoid this use cambuckles and failing that, that rope would be better than bungee.
Last edited by Seasherpa on 18 Dec 2018, 06:33, edited 1 time in total.
Yako
Lord of the fish

Post by Yako »

Seasherpa wrote:The reason I don’t like ratchets (for kayaks) is beacause they get over tightened particularly by beginners, causing stress cracks in composite kayaks and indents on the underside of plastic ones as I’m sure Ghurkin has seen his fair share of too.
What I was trying to convey was that to avoid this use cambuckles and failing that, that rope would be better than bungee.
Yup saw 2 kayaks last week that were flattened on the hulls, changing a nice cutting yak into flat bottomed punts due to being overtensioned with ratchet tiedowns.
They may return to form if placed on trestles in the hot sun (or if uniformed heat applied) to see if the "memory" is stil there to restore them.
I just shook my head and walked away.
John 3.16/17
clintos
Apprentice
kayak: Pedalfish 10

Post by clintos »

I have manual tie downs with the rubber covered buckles - used these for my surfboards in the past with good results. I have now fitted the kayak cradle mounts to the roof rack so the actual yak does not touch the roof racks and seems super secure for movement even before tie downs go on. I'll still definitely rope up the bow for any highway travel.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

With my old yak i used the ratchet straps, and yes over tightened them, when i bought the PA i also bought new tie down straps with cam locks, these work extremely well, on the trailer i only use the 2 but for rooftoping i use a 3rd on the T loader which i run through the rear handle, this seams to hold the PA down really well. Cam lock straps are definitely the way to go but test them to make sure they hold before buying, i found when i bought the 3rd one that many didn't work as they should.