Almost speechless ...

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Almost speechless ...

Post by chrisw »

At least they were in a boat ... operator of speedboat was alleged to have been texting.

Those prop marks at the end ... :( :wtf:

Also, this:
"Larsen, a Roseburg resident, told The Oregonian/OregonLive by phone Friday that he wasn’t using his cellphone while driving his Bayliner and referred to such allegations as “fake news.” Larsen also said a lawsuit seemed unnecessary because the people in the Weldcraft weren’t hurt badly.
The criminal case is ongoing. Larsen has pleaded not guilty to the misdemeanor crimes of reckless operation of a boat, fourth-degree assault and recklessly endangering the lives of others."
I carry a manually pumped air horn but something like this makes me want to mount one from a Mack truck on my hatch cover with a button somewhere close at hand!
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Re: Almost speechless ...

Post by Tim399 »

That is some scary stuff :shock:
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

The dick-pole in that cruiser should be keel-hauled...
time2fish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2018 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Post by time2fish »

videos been all over facebook ive watched it several times cant believe no one was hurt .crazy and lucky
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

He probably wasn't asleep on the job but elsewhere at the time.

The following (subject to my lousy memory) appeared about 4-5 years ago and may give an explanation. It was possibly on KFDU or the other forum that disappeared in record time into history:

A kayaker was paddling along and saw a boat heading his way at high speed. The kayaker adjusted course to get out of the way. The boat changed coarse. He adjusted again. The boat changed course again. The kayaker bailed out and was resued by the offending boatie who admitted he was doing something else, not watching with the boat running on auto pilot. The changes of direction were caused by the auto-pilot adjusting course direction. Coincidence made it aim at the kayak.

The collision wasn't caught on film but there was a photo of slices through the hull made by the propeller. The slices ran almost straight along the hull. It was a frightening sight, let alone being in the kayak out to sea when it happened. If it was KFDU, I cant find the thread.

The implications for the future are scary.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Steve_R wrote:He probably wasn't asleep on the job but elsewhere at the time.

The following (subject to my lousy memory) appeared about 4-5 years ago and may give an explanation. It was possibly on KFDU or the other forum that disappeared in record time into history:

A kayaker was paddling along and saw a boat heading his way at high speed. The kayaker adjusted course to get out of the way. The boat changed coarse. He adjusted again. The boat changed course again. The kayaker bailed out and was resued by the offending boatie who admitted he was doing something else, not watching with the boat running on auto pilot. The changes of direction were caused by the auto-pilot adjusting course direction. Coincidence made it aim at the kayak.

The collision wasn't caught on film but there was a photo of slices through the hull made by the propeller. The slices ran almost straight along the hull. It was a frightening sight, let alone being in the kayak out to sea when it happened. If it was KFDU, I cant find the thread.

The implications for the future are scary.
This one?
http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/yak ... cape-death
0408 565 763
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

My memory had the slices running closer to straight along the hull but there can't be two stories like that sound so much like that... we hope!

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Only takes one fuckwit too busy looking at the sounder
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

4liters wrote:Only takes one fuckwit too busy looking at the sounder
Yep. As of seeing this today I'm gonna change the layout of my yak. I used to keep my horn stored in the back - easy to get to but not in the few seconds these guys had. It's a manually pumped air one that's bloody loud; one pump stroke per 120db honk.

The horn can already unscrew from the can so it's possible to have the can in one place and the noise somewhere else on the yak.

So I'm gonna see if I can find a way to install the cylinder itself behind a bulkhead or at worst inside the floor with only the button and shaft exposed. Combined with a return spring then all I gotta do is thump or stomp on it in order to wake some blind as a bat mariner so that he hopefully do more circumnavigating than slicing of my humble intrusion into 'his' waterspace.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

They won't hear a air horn over the sound of an outboard. You'd have more luck getting one of the horns that have the can full of ether and lighting it up. A 3m tower of flame out the corner of their eye would be hard to ignore.

Or you could let off a parachute flare in their general direction.