Western re-entry practice

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Re: Western re-entry practice

Post by peatop »

Im pretty much good for any day but need plenty of warning so i have fuel to get there ;)
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Kamaukid
kayak: Osprey fishing kayak

Post by Kamaukid »

I'm in, I've done the re entry a few times but haven't noticed how much water intake there is from the hatches.
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

I fell foul to a capsize during NSC '18 when I was coming off the water after it was cancelled due to bad weather. Fully kitted out for offshore and managed to stay composed, re-right and climb back on board and not lose any gear...just took a while to pull all my leashes in haha

You can never say no to more practice though.
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Reeling wrote:I fell foul to a capsize during NSC '18 when I was coming off the water after it was cancelled due to bad weather.
the water was a little confused out there -- what caught you out and how would do it different next time you are in the same conditions to save taking the unplaned dip
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Reeling
Lord of the fish

Post by Reeling »

cheaterparts wrote:
Reeling wrote:I fell foul to a capsize during NSC '18 when I was coming off the water after it was cancelled due to bad weather.
the water was a little confused out there -- what caught you out and how would do it different next time you are in the same conditions to save taking the unplaned dip
Great question... I was heading towards the shore with the following sea.... Someone asked over the radio whether we were allowed to carry on fishing on out way in yo which the answer was along the lines of "yes, but don't take the piss"

Well I had one rod out trolling and thought to myself, "wind it in and just concentrate on getting back safely". So I leaned forward and started winding in with the rod in the holder. As I was winding in, the yak had turned slightly and without watching the waves behind me got flipped out on the side I was winding the rod in.

What would I do next time.... Either lift the rod out and wind in so I'm not leaning off center or even turn towards the waves and then wind in.
Either way I would probably take the rod out of the holder and always keep an eye on the waves!
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

cactus
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Revo 13

Post by cactus »

I didn't want to touch my rods when in the following sea that day, I only touched them when I could see what was coming and sometimes straddled the Yak to change rigs etc. Revo's feel rubbish in a following sea, I know your feeling.
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

cactus wrote:I didn't want to touch my rods when in the following sea that day, I only touched them when I could see what was coming and sometimes straddled the Yak to change rigs etc. Revo's feel rubbish in a following sea, I know your feeling.
I have never been terribly comfortable in a following sea and the PA14 is not the quickest boat to respond to the rudder so I towed a drogue all the way in. Managed a measurable pinkie at the same time. The trip was slow but at no time did I feel at all uncomfortable in some pretty ordinary seas.
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

spider25160 wrote:
cactus wrote:I didn't want to touch my rods when in the following sea that day, I only touched them when I could see what was coming and sometimes straddled the Yak to change rigs etc. Revo's feel rubbish in a following sea, I know your feeling.
I have never been terribly comfortable in a following sea and the PA14 is not the quickest boat to respond to the rudder so I towed a drogue all the way in. Managed a measurable pinkie at the same time. The trip was slow but at no time did I feel at all uncomfortable in some pretty ordinary seas.
Does the drift chute help to keep the yak straight (as this is what i imagine )? However could it also cause unwanted issues?
When i come in to beach i always pull my rudder up well before and use my paddle to steer as it gives me way more control over that of the rudder. Mind you my lack of experience doesn't help any, but so far i haven't flipped unintentionally ;) touch wood.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

it's a bit of a common theme hobies and following seas - high primary stability , not having a paddle in hand to brace with and a hull that turns side on to a wave quickly is less fun than you need with a following sea
peatop wrote: Does the drift chute help to keep the yak straight (as this is what i imagine )? However could it also cause unwanted issues?
When i come in to beach i always pull my rudder up well before and use my paddle to steer as it gives me way more control over that of the rudder. Mind you my lack of experience doesn't help any, but so far i haven't flipped unintentionally ;) touch wood.
Pete on a paddle yak your rudder is not really to steer it's to hold a heading while paddling , so lifting it is not a problem at any time
not only does your paddle steer better than a rudder it is also a very good outrigger when used as a brace ( something worth practising )

or

it's surprising how much weight you can put on a paddle while moving - when moving along in shitty conditions just using the back of the blade on the water for support works really well but it has to come as second nature - the better you get at bracing the more comfortable you become in these bad conditions
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Reeling
Lord of the fish

Post by Reeling »

ye, this is what I was planning on doing Cheater :shifty:

I just didnt get past step one of bringing my line in and getting my paddle out haha.

Whenever I come in withe a rough than average following sea, I also get my paddle out and have it on hand for balance.

I think I'd be better off practicing these brace skills with the bonus of re-entries when things don't quite go to plan :)