Warning: Pt Cook/Laverton BOM observations page wrong

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Warning: Pt Cook/Laverton BOM observations page wrong

Post by chrisw »

Just a heads-up that as of right now (and for some time going back I suspect) the real-time observation page for Laverton Vic (http://www.bom.gov.au/places/vic/point- ... /laverton/) is actually showing the data for Laverton WA (http://www.bom.gov.au/places/wa/laverto ... /laverton/).

The issue has been reported to the BOM, I presume they will fix it quickly but until then obviously it's unusable. Apart from the data itself there's no obvious sign it's wrong (it's correctly labeled as "Victoria >> Point Cook >> Observations for Laverton") so all I could suggest to tell if it's fixed is compare the above two pages (currently they show the same readings).

At this point I don't have evidence it affects any data feeds so it may just be a web glitch.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Re: Warning: Pt Cook/Laverton BOM observations page wrong

Post by peatop »

Lol another place I've lived ;) you wont be fishing anywhere near therei think the closest water is malcom dam, not even sure there would be fish in it! Only about 400k south the closest beach would be geralton bout 700k west. But watch the wind there it will blow you over and fill your kayak with red sand.
Oh and just for general knowledge Laverton in W.A. is pronounced lave - erton not lav - erton lol must be a sandgropper thing ;)
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
chrisw
Square eyes

Post by chrisw »

Additional info as I've been asked how I ended up on that page (there are others with the right data):

I just asked google for point cook weather bom and the first result for me is "http://www.bom.gov.au/places/vic/KFTV/" which in turn links to "http://www.bom.gov.au/places/vic/KFTV/o ... /laverton/" as the weather station.

While it appears there are other ways to reach the actual correct data, this is the route I took via google and then bookmarked the observations page from that point on.
chrisw
Square eyes

Post by chrisw »

peatop wrote:Lol another place I've lived ;) you wont be fishing anywhere near therei think the closest water is malcom dam, not even sure there would be fish in it! Only about 400k south the closest beach would be geralton bout 700k west. But watch the wind there it will blow you over and fill your kayak with red sand.
Oh and just for general knowledge Laverton in W.A. is pronounced lave - erton not lav - erton lol must be a sandgropper thing ;)
Lived in WA myself many yonks ago, though never in the interior. Would visit Port Hedland and Karratha from time to time. I remember PH in particular had spectacular fishing.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

chrisw wrote:
peatop wrote:Lol another place I've lived ;) you wont be fishing anywhere near therei think the closest water is malcom dam, not even sure there would be fish in it! Only about 400k south the closest beach would be geralton bout 700k west. But watch the wind there it will blow you over and fill your kayak with red sand.
Lived in WA myself many yonks ago, though never in the interior. Would visit Port Hedland and Karratha from time to time. I remember PH in particular had spectacular fishing.
All W.A. fishing was awesome, i never came home without catching heaps ;)
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

That'll explain why its been a bit of an anomaly for when I've been checking Williamstown to Point Wilson.

Another reminder to always check the forecast for surrounding areas in the bay to get a 3d understanding of the weather.
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish