Reminder re hot weather

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Reminder re hot weather

Post by laneends »

Now the warm weathers here keep hydrated and covered up. I think I got a bit of sunstroke/dehydation today. Felt sick, got the cold sweats and became very weak. Hauling kayak up the beaches nearly made me throw up. luckily wasn't far out doubt i could have managed a long haul back

This despite being covered with full frill neck hat and not facing into sun. It was probably not drinking enough, I have a habit of doing that. :roll:
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Re: Reminder re hot weather

Post by Seasherpa »

As well as hydration we are also heading into seabreeze time of year. Land breezes in particular are something to be aware of for guys chasing snapper up to sunset. If you see this on the water, head for shore!
Sea Breeze.jpg
A sea breeze or onshore breeze blows from a large body of water toward or onto a landmass; it develops due to differences in air pressure created by the differing heat capacities of water and dry land. As such, sea breezes are more localised than prevailing winds. Because land absorbs solar radiation far more quickly than water, a sea breeze is a common occurrence after sunrise.
A land breeze or offshore breeze is the reverse effect: dry land also cools more quickly than water and, after sunset, a sea breeze dissipates and the wind instead flows from the land towards the sea.
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

When you've been out on the water all day and you have a sail on your yak, that is exactly what you want to see! :-)

Mike.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Seasherpa »

mingle wrote:When you've been out on the water all day and you have a sail on your yak, that is exactly what you want to see! :-)

Mike.
Only if you don’t want to go home - If you’ve been out all day it will be blowing you in the wrong direction, offshore breeze in the arvo.
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

Seasherpa wrote:
Only if you don’t want to go home - If you’ve been out all day it will be blowing you in the wrong direction, offshore breeze in the arvo.
That's not my understanding or experience of a sea breeze on the bay, as the land heats up during the day and creates a temperature gradient it pulls in the cooler sea air creating an onshore breeze that starts up in the early afternoon. In Melbourne if the bay temp is around 18C and the overnight low is about the same then after sunset it will glass out. In Autumn sometimes you'll get an overnight low in the low teens and the water temp is still up around 18-20C you will get a bit of an offshore breeze but nothing substantial, the bigger the temp gradient the stronger the sea breeze. In Portland you will get more of an offshore usually early in the morning when the land is at its coolest and the water temp is maybe twice as warm but by the time you get to the arvo it will swing around to a S, SE or SW depending on the weather pattern.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

The afternoon southerly wind we've had consistently at the top of the bay in recent days has been the seabreeze. It usually occurs right through spring and summer unless there's high cloud or a wind system that overpowers it.
0408 565 763
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

Also a reminder. Yesterday was a nice day. Forecast winds was ok to be out on the water. I saw a Spike at St.Kilda and Fawkner beacon which didn't last long and wasn't predicted. Gusts at Fawkner beacon 56knots and St.Kilda 45knots roughly between 4 and 5pm. Very unusual but this is what this hot weather mix with potential thunderstoms can do.

Hopefully no one got caught out as would have been hell out there.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Seasherpa »

Smish wrote:
Seasherpa wrote:
That's not my understanding or experience of a sea breeze on the bay, as the land heats up during the day and creates a temperature gradient it pulls in the cooler sea air creating an onshore breeze that starts up in the early afternoon. In Melbourne if the bay temp is around 18C and the overnight low is about the same then after sunset it will glass out. In Autumn sometimes you'll get an overnight low in the low teens and the water temp is still up around 18-20C you will get a bit of an offshore breeze but nothing substantial, the bigger the temp gradient the stronger the sea breeze. In Portland you will get more of an offshore usually early in the morning when the land is at its coolest and the water temp is maybe twice as warm but by the time you get to the arvo it will swing around to a S, SE or SW depending on the weather pattern.
I had heard of sea breezes but hadn’t heard of land breezes and hadn’t paid much attention to them until last year I got hit by a big one at Campbell’s that was very definitely offshore and had a fair bit of power to it. It was just a word of warning particularly those heading out in less capable yaks because there was no big front traveling over or other signs until I saw the ripples on the water and then it hit.
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

One of the words which stuck in my head when I got my boat licence was what to do with sudden wind changes. they are often short lived.;
- Point nose into the wave and hold position (easier with a boat of course) OR
- Anchor up and wait it out (I now have an overkill of an anchor on my yak).
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

vicyak wrote:Very unusual but this is what this hot weather mix with potential thunderstoms can do.
Seasherpa wrote: I had heard of sea breezes but hadn’t heard of land breezes and hadn’t paid much attention to them until last year I got hit by a big one at Campbell’s that was very definitely offshore and had a fair bit of power to it. It was just a word of warning particularly those heading out in less capable yaks because there was no big front traveling over or other signs until I saw the ripples on the water and then it hit.
A big cumulonimbus can switch on and turn into a storm cell in a short space of time causing a localised strong low pressure system which will suck air toward it creating powerful winds and depending on where you are relative to it you could get either an onshore or offshore wind. Eoin it's hard to say what happened to you at CC but you don't get wind without either a temp or pressure gradient, it's unlikely the water suddenly got hotter so it could have been some sort of localised low pressure system.