Reminder re hot weather

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Reminder re hot weather

Post by laneends »

The nature of a big bay is to create an unstable swirling effect of weather patterns as opposed to a straight shoreline.

A small shift from a westerly to SWerly at Point Cook can cause all sorts of drama especially if you are out at the point. There you have a long fetch over water so it gets lump but it is blowing you out into the middle of Altona bay, not back towards land, and you typically have a long haul against it to get back to launch
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

I think as Brian said for a localized event point your nose into the wind and hold fast, although yesterday's event saw multiple changes in wind direction in a very short time, however i think it would have been quite manageable provided you did get your nose into the wind as it was short lived.
And like Owen said i saw the ripples then got the wind but my first warning was the noise, which made me turn around, then i saw the ripples, checked willy as it loads fastest and point wilson had 44 kph winds, they did reach 75 kph last i checked once getting into the habour.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

Do you think it had anything to do with not wearing sure glasses in the bright sunlight Keith?
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Reeling wrote:Do you think it had anything to do with not wearing sure glasses in the bright sunlight Keith?
Dont know. Wasn't facing towards sun most of the time. Problem with Sunnies is I cant read the dsi sounder with them. Ok for the regular coloured sounders though