which flares

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

which flares

Post by laneends »

Inshore kit $66, or offshore kit with the para flares $110?
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Re: which flares

Post by bunyip »

I use the inshore and a LED 'flare', without checking the regs I think a parachute is required for 5nm offshore.
The LED is quite impressive and very bright with 3 output levels, it is not legal alone but I figure it won't hurt, cost about $170.00.
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

you doing NSC18 Keith?
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Post by Rhino »

bunyip wrote:..........without checking the regs I think a parachute is required for 5nm offshore.
Powerboats and Yachts require a red star parachute rocket flare when venturing greater than 2nm offshore.

Minimum safety requirements don't require a human powered vessel to carry one. I guess they didn't consider that yaks would venture out that distance.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Reeling wrote:you doing NSC18 Keith?
No, wife sitting duties dont allow for trips like that at the moment. Just a good idea to have them anyway, and you never know what may happen down the track
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Regs for human powered vessels are 2 red distress and 2 orange smoke hand held flares when operating greater than 2nm offshore. This generally corresponds to an inshore flare kit sold by retailers.
http://transportsafety.vic.gov.au/marit ... -equipment

The thing I'm not sure about is would an AI be classed as a human powered vessel or an off-the-beach sailing yacht? :?: If it's the latter then I would need to add a red star parachute distress rocket to my safety kit. :?
0408 565 763
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

shane wrote:
The thing I'm not sure about is would an AI be classed as a human powered vessel or an off-the-beach sailing yacht? :?: If it's the latter then I would need to add a red star parachute distress rocket to my safety kit. :?
I would argue that due to your pedals a Hobie AI is human powered and sail assisted where as an off the beach sailing yacht like a Hobie Cat or sailing dingy are sailing craft that are assisted by possibly oars or a small motor.