Pbb beginner

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
timgu
kayak: Tarpon 120

Pbb beginner

Post by timgu »

I've done a bit of freshwater kayaking looking to get into fishing and trips to on this summer.
Im planning to do a course any recommendations ive seen a few places run them.

Im reasonably new to kayaking and look forward to getting out there and having a crack. Apart from a course what else should I be considering or good calm places to practice

Cheers tim
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Re: Pbb beginner

Post by vicyak »

if you want a one on one course Eoin on this forum offers this. (I'm booking as well shortly - just waiting on the water to get a bit warmer) A few of the guys also do surf practice later in the year. Also tag along to one of the posted fishing trips. From now onwards there will be plenty of yaks on the water.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Tim as Brain said Eoin ( seasherpa ) is worth chasing up - he is based in the Altona area and can point you in the right direction with all aspects of fishing the bay safely

read the safety section on this site most things you can do wrong has been tried - it's much easier learning by other guys mistakes

make sure you can remount in deep water - there are a few of us that have taken the unplanned dip ( not by choice ) and knowing how to get everything up the right way and back on is much better done if you already have the plan rehearsed
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

timgu wrote:I've done a bit of freshwater kayaking looking to get into fishing and trips to on this summer.

Im reasonably new to kayaking and look forward to getting out there and having a crack. Apart from a course what else should I be considering or good calm places to practice

Cheers tim
Hi Tim,
Welcome to vyak! As others have said, I can get you up to speed on the basics with a session on the water. Let me know if you are keen to get out and we can organise something.
In terms of other considerations you should be looking at a good PFD, dressing for the conditions and practising how to get back into your kayak from deep water.
Good places to practise will depend on the weather (wind direction mostly) but starting out the top of Port Phillip bay has low current flows. Post up trips of when you would like to go out and you might be able to rustle up people to tag along with - safety in numbers until you get the hang of things. :thumbsup:
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

Seasherpa wrote:
timgu wrote:I've done a bit of freshwater kayaking looking to get into fishing and trips to on this summer.

Cheers tim
Hi Tim,
Welcome to vyak! As others have said, I can get you up to speed on the basics with a session on the water. Let me know if you are keen to get out and we can organise something.
In terms of other considerations you should be looking at a good PFD, dressing for the conditions and practising how to get back into your kayak from deep water.
Good places to practise will depend on the weather (wind direction mostly) but starting out the top of Port Phillip bay has low current flows. Post up trips of when you would like to go out and you might be able to rustle up people to tag along with - safety in numbers until you get the hang of things. :thumbsup:
X2

Tim,
Welcome to VYak,
I got in to Kayaking as a beginner in Jan 2013 when I did a kayak fishing beginners course with East Coast Kayak (ECK) out of Sandringham.
http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... oast+kayak
(Also known as The Kayak Shop)
Top part of port phillip bay & relatively well protected by the marina.
8 of the 12 people on that course in Jan 2013 were from Vyak and they introduced me to this Forum.
I ended buying a yak off a forum member, have been on several trips with Vyak members (including Eoin (Seasherpa) & Steve (Cheaterparts) who have replied to your tread.
Despite being a member of Vyak for over 4 years I am not a regular kayak fisherman & still consider myself a beginner.
The first course I did with ECK was so informative that I have been back and done another and posted it to encourage a few more Vyakers to attend.
I recently did a one on one session with Eoin to fine tune my anchoring techniques and would recommend a one on one with seasherpa.
timgu
kayak: Tarpon 120

Post by timgu »

thanks very much for the input guys, hoping to get out and start having a bit of fun