here we go again 12/8 kayaker getting into strife

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Re: here we go again 12/8 kayaker getting into strife

Post by choppers »

To echo what Owen just said...
We get told not to drink and drive, we all know it increases risk of injury and death, lowers awareness and reaction time.

Yet I and many others have been guilty of drunk driving against what everyone says...
Just putting this into another perspective
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Post by bunyip »

unfortunately you can't legislate against stupidity.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

I will put my hand up and confess I turned to the wisdom on this forum after first having a tiny yak and taking it out where it should'nt have gone with no more a check on the weather than based on how warm and sunny it was. What was a tide and a channel? Never gave them a thought. Remounting? Never even thought about it. Dress for cold water immersion? Never a thought.

3 trips on the bays, including the washing machine off Corinella head and that was 3 trips past its capability. I survived and learned better. The problem is it looks easy and new folks just dont perceive the dangers and limited capabilities not only of themselves but of these smaller kayaks in particular.

Just saying, its more naivety than stupidity
Last edited by laneends on 13 Aug 2017, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
bunyip
Square eyes

Post by bunyip »

I agree but legislation is something of a joke, I have a boat licence which allows me to be in charge of some quite powerful watercraft yet I never had to set foot in one to get it, just hand over money.
Common sense is not that common and local knowledge is also useful especially the washing machine, I wonder how many are not aware of it, and even in the 23' yacht it is quite an experience, I wouldn't even consider it in a yak.
Hold my drink, watch this........
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

Is "the washing machine" a particular patch of rough water?
bunyip
Square eyes

Post by bunyip »

yes, nasty little patch that is influenced by current flows conflicting resulting in what looks like staring into a washing machine.
exclusive to wbp off corinella and guaranteed to have you hanging on regardless of size of craft
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Post by outback paul »

I discovered The Washing Machine for the first time last summer in the Revo 13 (very hairy) I would certainly hate to experience it in a short kayak or some E-bay special.
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

laneends wrote:I will put my hand up and confess I turned to the wisdom on this after first having a tiny yak and taking it out where it should'nt have gone with no more a check on the weather than based on how warm and sunny it was. What was a tide and a channel? Never gave them a thought. Remounting? Never even thought about it. Dress for cold water immersion? Never a thought.

3 trips on the bays, including the washing machine off Corinella head and that was 3 trips past its capability. I survived and learned better. The problem is it looks easy and new folks just dont perceive the dangers and limited capabilities not only of themselves but of these smaller kayaks in particular.

Just saying, its more naivety than stupidity
Maybe you are just more sensible than some!
Big noting and bravado has gotten many into to trouble some live on the edge and don't see the danger others do, just like reckless drivers feel it's no problem with there driving.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Tim399 wrote:Is "the washing machine" a particular patch of rough water?
Heading around the heads from Corinella to Coronet bay. Around Pelican Island and Snapper rock. Tide runs hard and there is a confluence of channels and shallow banks, so it seems to run every which way. Add in a SWerly wind against run out tide it peaks and troughs with all kinds of eddies.

I drifted around on a slack, calm as turned and it was boring through. Very scary in my little 3m job.
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

maverick wrote:The biggest problem the MSV have, is getting people aware of groups like this and other social media options, before they go out for the first time.
Maybe there's scope for some sort of basic Kayak safety warning sign that could be put up at popular launch spots? While we can't make people read them at least those who are receptive might take note. Especially warning about the dangers of going out in windy conditions for example.

With a little prodding I suspect local councils may support this.