Teenager rescued two hours after falling from yacht

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Teenager rescued two hours after falling from yacht

Post by chrisw »

With the missing Altona kayaker story being fresh in my mind I couldn't help but raise my eyebrows at this story:

http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... b2db9ac47c

Summary: 14 year-old was on a yacht 10nm off Gladstone with an almost deaf grandfather and not wearing a lifejacket. Falls overboard. no-one notices, finally gets spotted by another boat two hours later. Seems pretty lucky to survive; he could easily have ended up in the same situation as the Altona fellow.

Dunno about Qld rules about PFD's but allowing him to run around the boat without a jacket seems irresponsible.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: Teenager rescued two hours after falling from yacht

Post by shane »

He's very lucky. But down here with the water around 10 degrees cooler it may be a different story.
0408 565 763
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Post by bunyip »

You are not required to wear a PFD except in times of heightened risk, launching and retrieving, I don't think walking around would fall into that category, having said that we always wear a PFD when leaving the cockpit as there are too many moving bits to knock you over and too many halyards etc to trip over and lifelines only work if they catch you and you hang on.
I fell off the bow of our yacht in Westernport as SWMBO didn't know port from starboard when I was freeing up a jib, wanting pressure off the sail I asked her to turn to starboard, which way is that she responded, right says I, she pushed the tiller to the right and I had braced for the opposite and this move put me right off balance.
I was wearing a PFD and was picked up by another yacht that was in the group before she could turn around and pick me up.
It was a very colourful language day.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

That's the sort of stupid accident that is bound to happen when you use strange terms like port and starboard instead of left and right
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Post by bunyip »

Yes, but pushing the tiller one way turns it the other, I assumed that logic would have dictated the relatively simple rules.
Next yacht will have a wheel.