Graphite rods can attract lightning

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Graphite rods can attract lightning

Post by chrisw »

What happens to a graphite rod when it gets hit by lightning:
lightning rod.jpg
Also, here's a gallery from a chap who got hit whilst holding a rod.

Graphite rods are excellent conductors and can act as lightning rods, especially if you're casting or holding them high.
aussieDave
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobbie Outback

Re: Graphite rods can attract lightning

Post by aussieDave »

Gee, that's not what you want to happen to your fancy tuna rod.

There's a reason I've always been taught not to fish in a thunder storm.

Dave
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Got caught out in WP over a low once, ie no return, when it started lightening bolts everywhere. Laid rods down, but very scary.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

laneends wrote:Got caught out in WP over a low once, ie no return, when it started lightening bolts everywhere. Laid rods down, but very scary.
Shane and I were fishing Tea Tree a few years back down at the Corals when a nice thunderstorm rolled through. We were headed back to the beach to wait it out. I was winding up Shane that my rods were in the hatch while his lightning rods were out the back on his yak, when he pointed out my carbon paddle :lol:
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

About 3 years ago I was on the stinker at night when a massive front came through. 40knot west winds horizontal rain. Bit of thunder however lightning was mainly flash lightning and wasn't that bad. We decided not to move the boat as would have been very dangerous especially at night. We put out a 2nd anchor which locks us in position nicely and let the storm go past. The sudden loss of barometer pressure turned the snapper on. Great session and one I will never forget. :evilgrin:

yes we should have been in before the storm hit but sometimes you are best locking down as we knew it only had 2 hours max in it. Bit hard to do in a yak of course.
JägerMarty
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outback 2015

Post by JägerMarty »

I got caught in a storm on Rocky Valley dam a cpl years ago. Rain, thunder n lightning came very quickly.
Flattened the rods n got off the water sharpish
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

vicyak wrote:About 3 years ago I was on the stinker at night when a massive front came through. 40knot west winds horizontal rain. Bit of thunder however lightning was mainly flash lightning and wasn't that bad. We decided not to move the boat as would have been very dangerous especially at night. We put out a 2nd anchor which locks us in position nicely and let the storm go past. The sudden loss of barometer pressure turned the snapper on. Great session and one I will never forget. :evilgrin:

yes we should have been in before the storm hit but sometimes you are best locking down as we knew it only had 2 hours max in it. Bit hard to do in a yak of course.

Even on the kayaks, sometime its better to bunker down thru the storm front than to try and move during the rage
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

Found the story from the guy in the image album. He's (I think rightfully) angry that the regulations for the water body they were on requires the prop on their boat to be physically removed, which prevented them from getting to shore quickly when the weather turned. That being said, though, it was his action in casting that triggered the strike.
Always be mindful of the weather and be ready to react or have a plan of action for these situations. I can put pictures up in the comments if necessary.

I will give a complete rundown of the entire situation.

First some background information: We were in a 21 ft fiberglass bass boat with a big mercury optimax motor on it. The lake that we were fishing on has horsepower restrictions on it. This means that any boat with a motor bigger than 10 HP MUST remove its prop (propeller). If this is refused it is a 100 dollar fine instantly, if the boat makes contact with the water. No questions asked. So all we had was a trolling motor, which even at top speed can only max out at about 2.8 MPH.

So here we go. It started as a blue bird sky, there was some rain in the forecast but nothing severe. Just like any other day. The storm brewed right on top of us. It was a pop up thunderstorm with next to no warning. Since we had been fishing for about 2 hours already, we were pretty far from the dock. LET IT BE KNOWN THAT WHEN THE STRIKE OCCURRED, WE WERE ON OUR WAY BACK TO THE RAMP WITH THE TROLLING MOTOR.

I clearly remember I had just caught a small Largemouth Bass. I released him then fixed my bait (the watermelon chartreuse plastic lizard you see in some of the pics). When I went to cast...BLACK. there was no warning, there was no hair on the back of my neck that stood up to give any kind of warning. It was instant. I was out. I was thrown from the front deck of the boat to the middle seat in the boat next to the driver's seat. When I woke up it was like a dream, I was looking at the grey sky seeing small raindrops fall. They would hit me right in the eye but I wouldn't blink, it felt good, almost refreshing.

It was as if someone had set off a flashbang grenade next to my head. I slowly started to come to but could hear nothing but a high ringing and distant sounding voices. My chest hurt, it was like someone had beat me with a baseball bat and left me for dead. I had heartburn, but not just in my chest, throughout my whole body. It was as if someone injected fire beneath my skin and into my veins, and deep into my stomach.

I couldn't feel my legs. I was paralyzed from the waist down. I had no control over my legs, hips, toes, nothing. At this point my head was still laying back on the floor of the boat. My face burned, my arm burned, and I felt like I was dehydrated, and wanted a drink badly. I felt something cold on my head. Someone was pouring water on my head. It was Andy, the disabled Iraqi verteran who "just so happened" to be a medic. He was putting out my smoldering hair and eyebrows with water we had in the boats cooler. It felt like heaven, but as soon as it stopped flowing, fire all over is what it felt like. I pulled myself up with my elbows to see what was going on and still couldn't hear anything. I saw Andy and his GF Taryn pulling my dad into the boat, he had been thrown out of the boat into the water. He was also paralized from the waist down, he would have drowned if Andy had not seen it happen and rushed to pull my dad out of the water. I am eternally indebted to him.

I still felt as though I had fire inside my body. It gradually subsided. But my chest still hurt badly. Paramedics arrived on scene at the dock, but we were not at the dock, we were 300yds away from the dock on another stretch of shoreline. Paramedics basically stole a guys boat from the boat ramp, it was ok though because the guy was drunk. They arrived at our boat, and started working on me and my dad.

From the echoes and faint words I could make out, my dad was ok, he was in much better shape than myself. One sentence I remember clearly was "we can't get him stabilized, we need lifeflight". Apparently Lifeflight was not an option because there was not good LZ.

While on our way to the ramp, I looked down to realize, I was wearing nothing but the elastic band from my underwear and shorts, the shear power and heat from the lightning shredded everything. Yes, my pants exploded.

Whether it was from pain or a cardiac event, once again everything went black. I woke up again in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. I could hear now. I hear the paramedic say to the driver "hit it hard on the straits, easy on the corners, I don't know how long we have". I started to get tunnel vision, and my chest hurt. I layed my head to the side, and saw the heart monitor with a yellow button that said shock. I saw the paramedic reach for that button and push it. The next time I opened my eyes, I was being moved from the ambulance cot onto the hospital ER bed. Everything from here was quite a blur, I just remember lots of shots, people crying and coming into my room. I remember my brother standing by my bed, he refused to leave regardless of what docs and nurses said. He stayed there with me in that ER trauma room until I was moved to ICU. Don't ask me when that was, time was irrelevant to me. When I woke up again in ICU, it was to a tingling sensation in my legs, as if they were asleep. Then I could move my toes and legs. You can't imagine the sigh of relief I experienced. I thought my legs were gone forever.

I was in the hospital on the cardiac floor for a week. Many visitors, much morphine, and much prayer. I am now doing great.
Full thread is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fishing/commen ... r_8_years/
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
Joshua
The force is strong in this one
kayak: 2011 Red AI - 2014 Dune Outback

Post by Joshua »

Not hit by lighting, caught fire by some other means.
Best catch - Stingray on a hard-body