Offshore kayaking in your sixties.

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Re: Offshore kayaking in your sixties.

Post by Digger »

Coming back to fish estuaries isn't a death sentence. I love fishing offshore though for me that's always in a boat but if fishing is in your blood, then estuary fishing is still a great way to pit your wits against those wily fish.

I've had an even bigger adjustment to face in selling our yaks and moving back to a boat, but I had no choice for health reasons. I still love being on the lakes or in a river somewhere and will be doing that as long as I'm physically able, and when I'm not, I'll be sitting on a pier or a riverbank somewhere still trying to outwit those pesky critters.

Sometimes life removes options from us and making the best of what you have left is the only way forward.
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Post by outback paul »

I've really enjoyed reading the many posts on this topic, and as the holder of a Seniors Card can certainly relate to some of the points raised. One thing that I'm finding these days is that although I seem to have plenty of stamina out on the water, by the time I get home and pack away the Revo, I'm totally knackered for the next few hours. I think we just have to be realistic about what we are capable of, and then build in a bit of a margin for safety. I certainly hope to be out in the yak for another 10 years or more, but perhaps the distances covered will get a bit shorter in the future. Very best wishes, Paul
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

G'day Mick, long time no see...down your way the other day and was going to call in but ran out of time.
I just returned from Mallacoota and can say while I did miss the yak when I first sold it, I don't now. Fishing was very slow this trip, in fact the worst I've ever seen it, so we had to cover A LOT of water to catch a decent amount of fish each day.(as you may remember I only C&R). A lot of yakkers were catching stuff all, even in the usual go to spots, where as we weren't limited at all in the tinny, we just moved around.....A LOT. I use the Minn Kota on the front to go into places where I used to go in the yak, (some people who camp near us can't believe where I go) and...it's a deep V 3.8m not a V-nose punt. Having a stuffed shoulder I find backing the tinny in much easier than trying to drag a yak along....... also I was struggling to lift the yaks on top of the Triton ute.....just got to realize that my body has caught up to my age. :cry:
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

I still do miss my yak but the loading/unloading got to me in the end I have to admit, but if I was in a situation living close to the water and could leave it set up, I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

I pretty much have control of the vertigo which is why I sold my yaks in the first place.

You cant have too many ways to fish~
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

I guess I don't really qualify to comment in "yakking in your sixties" as I am in my seventies now. I still love to fish off my yak but I do take extra care these days. I don't feel any older than I did ten years ago but I am not silly. Although I feel I am pretty fit for an oldie I am not taking anything for granted. As long as I treat my yak time seriously and prepare properly, and don't take unnecessary risks I should still be able to enjoy myself.
strickland1000
kayak: TBA

Post by strickland1000 »

Windknot,

Am nearly 60 and nearly fulltime at leisure. Have fished landbased all my life including hiking at night through to and from the spot.

I took up kayaking as a way of extending my reach. After 12 months of considering what was involved and what I might be able to do I started early last year. I am having more fun than frights and learning a lot along the way. I have decided to limit myself to sheltered waters and have purchased a kayak that is well suited (pedal not paddle ... easier on the body generally) ... not so suitable for open ocean. I suspect that for the time being PPB (within 1km shore), WPB (mainly channels in upper reaches) and Corner Inlet will keep me amused. If I become comfortable with that I may venture further (risk assessment is the key). And I guess as I feel my capacity changing I hopefully will recognise that and adapt.

My health is fine and I know of things to do to preserve it in that state for as long as I can. For me the above is an adventure. I intend to do as much as I can while I can.

Strickland
Last edited by strickland1000 on 14 May 2017, 06:58, edited 1 time in total.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Welcome laurie.

Just be aware that channels in north end of WP are not necessarily on the "easy grade". Tides rip down them and you can easily loose track of the channel if you are not familiar with them. They also need knowledge of high tide flow anchoring techniques. Fall out in those tides and you are in deep poo. If you want easy WP try Coronet bay and Reef island
strickland1000
kayak: TBA

Post by strickland1000 »

laneends wrote:Welcome laurie.

Just be aware that channels in north end of WP are not necessarily on the "easy grade". Tides rip down them and you can easily loose track of the channel if you are not familiar with them. They also need knowledge of high tide flow anchoring techniques. Fall out in those tides and you are in deep poo. If you want easy WP try Coronet bay and Reef island
laneends,
I will take your guidance on what might not be "easy". I have had some "opportunities" to learn in upper WPB. I will try those locations you have mentioned.
Rgds
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

outback paul wrote:I've really enjoyed reading the many posts on this topic, and as the holder of a Seniors Card can certainly relate to some of the points raised. One thing that I'm finding these days is that although I seem to have plenty of stamina out on the water, by the time I get home and pack away the Revo, I'm totally knackered for the next few hours. I think we just have to be realistic about what we are capable of, and then build in a bit of a margin for safety. I certainly hope to be out in the yak for another 10 years or more, but perhaps the distances covered will get a bit shorter in the future. Very best wishes, Paul
X2 Cheers Babylon :thumbsup:
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

Remember its all about 1/3rds

1/3rd your energy to get out to where you are fishing
1/3rd to get back

The other is your reserve in case some thing go's wrong.
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.