Offshore kayaking in your sixties.

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Windknot
Lord of the fish
kayak: Malibu Mini X & Native Watercraft Propel

Offshore kayaking in your sixties.

Post by Windknot »

http://www.campaignbrief.com/2016/12/br ... mpaig.html

I'm well into my 60's and I know I'm not as physically able as I was just a year or two back. It's not just a matter of strength either. As we age we tend to lose our sense of balance to a degree. I also tire more quickly, despite my efforts to remain fit and healthy.

I have been a keen kayaker in the past, but these days I feel it's just too dangerous for me to even consider heading offshore in my kayak. Even a relatively simple trip on Port Phillip Bay is quickly becoming a thing of the past. I still feel relatively safe kayak fishing in larger pristine estuaries, such as Mallacoota on a calm day though.

Luckily I also own a boat, so my fishing is less restricted than what it could have been due to my advancing years. I do feel a lot safer in the boat. However I must admit, I do feel less confident on the water, regardless of the vessel type, than I used to.

We must have a few other members here on Victorian Yak Anglers who are in their sixties or are approaching their sixties, How do you feel about your age and how it might possibly affect your safety at sea?
There's only a fine distinction between fly fishing and standing on the bank looking like an idiot.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: Offshore kayaking in your sixties.

Post by cheaterparts »

Windknot wrote:
I'm well into my 60's and I know I'm not as physically able as I was just a year or two back. It's not just a matter of strength either. As we age we tend to lose our sense of balance to a degree. I also tire more quickly, despite my efforts to remain fit and healthy.

We must have a few other members here on Victorian Yak Anglers who are in their sixties or are approaching their sixties, How do you feel about your age and how it might possibly affect your safety at sea?
I turn the big 60 later this year and had seen the add on TV and a lot of it is probably true - So far I don't have a lot of trouble keeping up with most other Fishing Kayakers and can easy enough paddle 20 - 30 km and keep a good pase -

So far I have no balance issues that I am aware of and have just recently moved to a narrower faster kayak - again no issues

but then I do work on staying match fit and paddle quite a few km each W/E and on Westernport with tide flows - just as I do the surf days to try to stay on top of my game
next Sat morning I'm doing a 2 hour one on one paddle training to try to improve my paddle stroke

all this to continue kayak fishing and of cause to be match fit to do more off shore -- However I'm sure the add is aimed at the over 65 guys that have worked all there life and finally retire and get out to play not match fit as they have not been doing this activity for many years and there fitness level is not what it was

So at this stage I feel my age just short of 60 . my safety at sea is not a lot different to a younger man that may change as me feebleness grows
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

I had my 70th birthday less than a month ago. I too have a yak and a boat.

What each of us can do, or are comfortable about doing is going to be really different. Not better or worse. The world we are aging in is on a downward competative, 'me first' spiral that is gathering pace faster than we are able to cope with. Within that our bodies are going through a natural process that we feel compelled to reject. I believe that this compulsion comes from our tacit adhearance to the competition we are exposed to, and an inner voice that wants to reject or deny the aging process.

I am not going to enter into a comparison or discussion of what I can or cant do or feel in comparison to my peers, or younger folk. But I am prepared to say that what I do end up doing depends on the day and conditions as well as my own feelings of wellbeing. I no longer have the need to be seen as a chest thumper, because living this long has taught me that those that judge are judging out of their own fears that need more reinforcement than I do.

I avoid putting myself into situations that require prolonged stamina, high stress or what I now at 70, find to be high risk to or for me in the here and now. I try to disregard comparing myself now today to where I was last year, last decade or ever.

I have let go of the things I did a hundred years ago, they dont define me, or drive me any longer however, much of what I learned had its foundation in 'oldies' experiences passed on to me as I grew older from my first fishing event to now. My mentors would have had absolutely no concept of fishing with soft plastic but much of what they taught of the lore of fish behaviour still applies.
Thus it seems to me that maybe a starting point for older fishermen that need to be more active than sitting on some bank in a comfy chair with an inactive fishing rod is a today reality check. In short do what fits you where you are at each and every day you fish. Getting older requires those periodic reality checks, sadly the interval between realiy checks diminishes as the number of birthdays increases.

Sorry if I didnt answer you as you wanted........but I do hope I answer as your needs are.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
cotso
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by cotso »

Its a bugger getting old. I'm 61 this month and have in the last year or so found my fitness waning,not so much on my hobie but my surfing, which I've been passionate about since I was 11. If I don't surf at least once a week my fitness just goes backwards. Sucks, but that's life,we're getting old.just.need like you said to play it smart or we'll end up a statistic.
BAYSIDE WOOD TURNING & SELF STORAGE. New 20 foot vented shipping containers, CCTV security.24/7 access, your own main gate code and your lock. $200 per month. Ph 5981-8411
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

I think the issue would be stamina for things that you are not constantly working on. eg You may paddle for hours and have those muscles and movements in top form. but to suddenly find yourself for example trying to remount in rough weather when you haven't rigorously practised it more quickly exhausting, especially if you swallow some water.

Fitness training can lead people into a false sense of capability, as you are only honing those areas you are working on. This can lead you to be too confident and expose you to situations where some other weakness is exposed. As mentioned by the others getting hammered in the surf is something that takes it out of you if you haven't specifically practised that.

I think it also you need to also be aware that hypothermia probably sets in quicker with age
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

laneends wrote: Fitness training can lead people into a false sense of capability, as you are only honing those areas you are working on. This can lead you to be too confident and expose you to situations where some other weakness is exposed. As mentioned by the others getting hammered in the surf is something that takes it out of you if you haven't specifically practised that.

I also agree Keith really all aspects need to be practiced and kept on top of That goes for anyone of any age Just at the last surf day I had to remount in the surf zone twice on one run in It was damm hard work but I was happy that I got it done again it was apair of the hardest re entries I've done it didn't help that the trip out was a hard slog
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

cough cough A.I.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Fish Grylls
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revo

Post by Fish Grylls »

maverick wrote:cough cough A.I.
...... and then cough cough outboard
cotso
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by cotso »

The bottom line is,regardless of how hard you work on your chosen pursuit,there comes a time when unfortunately we're just past it and need to know when that time is.
BAYSIDE WOOD TURNING & SELF STORAGE. New 20 foot vented shipping containers, CCTV security.24/7 access, your own main gate code and your lock. $200 per month. Ph 5981-8411
Windknot
Lord of the fish
kayak: Malibu Mini X & Native Watercraft Propel

Post by Windknot »

All good replies. Thanks to everyone for sharing their views.

Age will effect us all differently and at different rates. No one but you personally, will be able to decide when the time to quit doing the things you love doing. Some of us will be more reluctant to admit our deficiencies than others. I suppose it's a bit like a precursor to handing in your drivers licence when you feel you have become too incompetent to be on the road. Some know when it's time, yet others just wait until they have an accident where their age was obviously the cause of it.

Personally, I'll never be happy just soaking a bait from a chair on the bank. I'm far too impatient for that. I will continue with my interest in landbased lure fishing. At least it's an active form of fishing and it keeps me fit. Unfortunately, fishing off the rocks is now in the same category as offshore kayaking in my case. I no longer have the agility and the balance to be able to jump from rock to rock with any degree of safety, plus if I ever ended up in the water ... well I just know it wouldn't end well.

Getting old sucks big time, but it's still better than the alternative. May we all continue to do what we love for as long as possible.
There's only a fine distinction between fly fishing and standing on the bank looking like an idiot.