Offshore kayaking in your sixties.

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Re: Offshore kayaking in your sixties.

Post by wokka1 »

Good conversation to have. I'm 51 so some of you blokes have a few years on me so thumbs up for continuing to do what you love. At this stage my fitness isn't a problem. It's all about the phase pre and post fishing...Minimising the risk of injury while loading and un-loading mostly. The trailer for the PA...but then launch site and parking become a consideration. So the smaller sport joins the fleet which, while easy enough to car top is still a solid lift after several hours on the water.

Of course then you tussle with kingies and you start to get Stealths in your eyes. So do you lash out, kit up with all the safety gear knowing that you might only have a few years before your shoulders and lower back say enough...put me back in a Hobie !
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

I've just upgraded to a new 2017 outback at age 56 and intend to stay kayaking into my 60s.
Despite the Vantage seat upgrade I still get sore back, bum & legs after a few hours on the water.
I've been to Port Augusta to chase the Kings and enjoyed reading on the forum about the Portland & SWR trips but at 56 don't have the stamina to participate in those "long all day off shore trips".
I guess as I get older the time on the water will get shorter.
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

Just recently turned sixty I do feel there are things that i cannot do anymore i sold off Jaws my Pro Angler 14 because pulling it up the bank or offloading from trailer was getting to much for me the weight was the problem if my brother in law Steve wasn't around i would struggle have since brought a Revo 13 and sit here now wondering if i can use that i had a full knee Replacement 2 years ago on my left knee and as i type this i am in a shitload of pain due to not being able to straighten Right knee was told i needed a full knee replacement looks like it might happen sooner than later.
So i might have to seriously reconsider my kayaking future brand new 2017 Revo sitting in garage gathering dust :down: :down:
Not in a happy place at the moment.Jim
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

Bugger Jim... if it will make you feel better it can live in my garage and I'm happy to use it and scratch it... I could even wash it afterwards until you feel better :evilgrin:
Seriously though thats sucks :down:
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
cotso
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by cotso »

That's a bugger Jim. I had one shoulder opp 1" cut of my collar bone that had worn away from paddeling surfing, just about recovered now the others going, plus a mini stroke. Hey it can always be worse. I could have a paddle yak and not a Hobie lol
BAYSIDE WOOD TURNING & SELF STORAGE. New 20 foot vented shipping containers, CCTV security.24/7 access, your own main gate code and your lock. $200 per month. Ph 5981-8411
rayso
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Adventure Island

Post by rayso »

I also will hit sixty this year and converted to an adventure island a few years ago to help maintain the confidence to go off shore as I mainly go alone. Maintaining flexibility is my main challenge with a dodgy back and also keeping my weight down. I am now concentrating more on my golf game trying to get my handicap down as low as possible before age restricts how I can swing the golf club. Hence the reason I have my AI up for sale. Currently at my lowest mark which shows if you keep active with your chosen recreation you can continue on to a reasonable age.
It's more fun doing it on a yak and even more fun with a sail
0429 622004
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

Hell yeah ,I have just turned 62 and the family tell me I have at least another good ten years before I settle down and fish in rivers lakes etc,its like most things in life if you keep at it ,it becomes easier,also you need to know what you are comfortable with when going off shore ,pick the right day and well say no more :up: but things can go pear shaped so be prepared for that
mob 0423 492 759
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

Must also add that i fish from a AI ,this craft not only makes me a lot safer it enambles me to cover some long distances off shore , to do the same with a normal paddle /peddle yak I think life would be some what diffacult at this stage in my life
mob 0423 492 759
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

Babylon wrote:Just recently turned sixty I do feel there are things that i cannot do anymore i sold off Jaws my Pro Angler 14 because pulling it up the bank or offloading from trailer was getting to much for me the weight was the problem if my brother in law Steve wasn't around i would struggle have since brought a Revo 13 and sit here now wondering if i can use that i had a full knee Replacement 2 years ago on my left knee and as i type this i am in a shitload of pain due to not being able to straighten Right knee was told i needed a full knee replacement looks like it might happen sooner than later.
So i might have to seriously reconsider my kayaking future brand new 2017 Revo sitting in garage gathering dust :down: :down:
Not in a happy place at the moment.Jim
Sorry to hear about that Jim,

If you do need the other knee done remember the procedures have improved immensely and reconstructions last a lot longer these days so if your first knee has recovered I suggest getting the second one done ASAP.
Despite the knitting jokes from a couple of years ago after your last knee op, remember you are well respected amoung the Vyak community.
You may not be up to offshore kayaking, but I am sure if you posted a trip and also said you wanted someone to help unload & load your yak and also watch out for you while pedaling the tarwin with your knee pain/injury you would get many replies.
Likewiae you would likely get many replies after the knee op when you get back in to kayaking on your new 2017 revo.

On another note - Another Vyaker I caught up with at SLH a few weeks ago went the other way and upgraded from a revo 13 to a PA14 due to wanting a safer more stable vessel as sense of balance and stability became an issue as the age of 60 approached.
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

I was a late starter to Kayak fishing having only purchased my first one at age 50. That was a tandem outfitter. A couple of years ago I upgraded to a PA14 and while I have no trouble spending all day off shore at trolling speed I have to be aware that I can't keep up with the young guys on their sleek fast paddlers like the stealth when we do the Lamonze start for the Portland trip. Now at age 57 I have planned to upgrade again to a T.I. so that, if in my search for my youth, I do happen to over do it, I have the option of a gentle sail home. Thus my safety margin is increased.
Last edited by spider25160 on 10 Apr 2017, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo: