side ama kit

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

side ama kit

Post by vicyak »

I have a PA 14 and I flipped the yak a few months ago. I find my tolerance level for choppy conditions now just isn't there especially at night.

so I thinking of making some changes to my yak;
- large rudder
- Sidekick AMA kit.

Few questions;
- I haven't seen a side AMA kit used on a pro angler 14 before. Want to get some thoughts and do they get in the way of fishing. Not sure if the standard one fits. reading reviews they say they don't. has anyone done anything along these lines before.
- Large rudder can be very useful especially if you are an lighter person. I'm not. Weighing in at 130kg I'm naturally lower in the water anyway. is the large rudder a good idea.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: side ama kit

Post by maverick »

Dad put a large rudder on PA12 - he wouldn't use it without the large rudder. It was a home made version, larger than the standard Hobie upgrade.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Definitely go with a bigger rudder, either DIY or Hobies bigger version. You will find the steering responsiveness and authority greatly increased but also increased confidence navigating following seas.

Side kick amas are unusual on a PA because most people don't find the need for them. Perhaps before you go down that route you should head out with a bare hull in choppy seas or small surf to have a play (after doing the rudder). This will allow you to push some limits on the PA's stability more safely and it should give you much greater confidence again.
0408 565 763
vicyak
Lord of the fish

Post by vicyak »

yeah I think for $36 will try the rudder. I think I need to try rough surf landings again. Having all the weight on the back was probably not a great idea either. Made the front very light.

On the back the kayak I have my esky, wheels, anchor and rope and chain, lure box. Front hatch is empty most the time. Perhaps putting more weight on the front the kayak will not turn as much in following seas.
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

vicyak wrote:yeah I think for $36 will try the rudder. I think I need to try rough surf landings again. Having all the weight on the back was probably not a great idea either. Made the front very light.

On the back the kayak I have my esky, wheels, anchor and rope and chain, lure box. Front hatch is empty most the time. Perhaps putting more weight on the front the kayak will not turn as much in following seas.
Balance is important if you go too heavy in the bow she will tend to nose dive and broach. Not sure how you flipped her but a heavier stern is desirable in a following sea/surf. The trick in a surf is when you get side on lean into the wave even though the natural response is to lean away from it.
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

vicyak wrote:yeah I think for $36 will try the rudder. I think I need to try rough surf landings again. Having all the weight on the back was probably not a great idea either. Made the front very light.

Brian I learnt a valuable lesson last year when I put holes in my scupper tubes from the trolley and became severely water logged.
The milk crate with anchor and a few goodies plus rods and trolley at the back all made the kayak a lot more tippy than without (I actually bailed to save the yak from rolling and swam it back to shore). You don't realise how much it affects the handling of the yak when you have a load that is sitting above the deck.
I made a custom rudder on the advice of Shane which is actually bigger than Hobie's PA large rudder and mate I cannot tell you how many times it's saved me from getting rolled in choppy gusty swells (even this weekend off Coronet bay) :up:
John 3.16/17
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

Yako wrote:

Brian I learnt a valuable lesson last year when I put holes in my scupper tubes from the trolley and became severely water logged.
The milk crate with anchor and a few goodies plus rods and trolley at the back all made the kayak a lot more tippy than without (I actually bailed to save the yak from rolling and swam it back to shore). You don't realise how much it affects the handling of the yak when you have a load that is sitting above the deck.
I made a custom rudder on the advice of Shane which is actually bigger than Hobie's PA large rudder and mate I cannot tell you how many times it's saved me from getting rolled in choppy gusty swells (even this weekend off Coronet bay) :up:
I think you will find once the water leaked in through the holes in your scuppers made your problem worse not the crate on top.
The water can move to anywhere within the inside of the hull, with each change of direction the water moves uncontrollable inside at a fast rate giving you severe unpredictability in every movement you made and then more as you try to correct the problem.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Post by bunyip »

Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

bjspinner wrote:
I think you will find once the water leaked in through the holes in your scuppers made your problem worse not the crate on top.
The water can move to anywhere within the inside of the hull, with each change of direction the water moves uncontrollable inside at a fast rate giving you severe unpredictability in every movement you made and then more as you try to correct the problem.
I was there, I kept calm and analysed the situation & the crate with anchor in it made it worse. I agree the wave action with water moving inside acting as a moving ballast added to the tippyness.

Anyway I'm quite confident Brian will have much better control with a larger rudder & as Dave said above, leaning into the waves helps too.
Also get/make yourself a stirrup/s to help you right the PA (see pic).
I tend to keep my eyes scanning continuously when I'm peddling in rough swells to see how and where the waves are coming from and changing course sometimes to adjust or catch a wave coming at a different angle (which has happened to me before in squalid conditions) :up:
Attachments
IMG_0303.JPG
John 3.16/17
vicyak
Lord of the fish

Post by vicyak »

I tied a bit of rope to the side handle of the yak and made a foothole for leverage. Tucked it into the pocket so is out of the way. If I capsize again I can use this for leverage. this is to act like the rescue step

I now have a radio (Lowrance link 2) and will be getting my licence in 2 weeks for that. Has DSC which at a press of a button identifies me and send GPS point to rescue services. haven't radios came a long way.

When I did tip I know you are meant to lean into the wave however your natural reaction is to lean away. I leaned away and is why I flipped.

Dying to get out more often and night time is better for me. Tonight for example winds up to 15 knots SE. Will be choppy at Altona however I would normally fish those conditions. Mix night time and just not worth the risk.