Effect of wind on kayaking progress

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
BKA
Square eyes
kayak: Malibu Pro Explorer

Effect of wind on kayaking progress

Post by BKA »

G'day. Went down to Port Albert for the weekend and heard about a kayaker getting into a bit of a situation yesterday as the wind blew up.
As it started to get really windy, his mate told him it was time to go and started heading in.
The kayaker started reeling in his line to follow suit and caught a flattie.
After he reeled it in, measured it, etc. he looked up and noticed he had been swept a long way from where he landed the fish.
He started paddling hard but was making no progress, still being swept further away.
Without panicking, he started blowing his whistle but said no-one could hear it.
One of my Sandy Anglers mates noticed him and said he seemed to be going backwards so he went out to check then towed him in.
When I was told the story back at the lodge, another kayaker said the rule of thumb he had been taught was that for every 5 knots of headwind you lose around 25% of your cruising speed. ie. in a 20 knot wind he'll be going nowhere, in a 25 knot wind he'll be going backwards hence he won't go out if it's forecasted to be over 10 knots.
Looked it up and his rule of thumb shows some merit.
Up to 20 knots, headwind resistance increases 0.5 knots for every 5 knots of wind.
ie. If your paddling speed is 2.5 knots then in a 20 knot headwind your paddling speed will be reduced by 2 knots to 0.5 knots.
Some good information here: http://explorenorthcoast.net/wp-content ... inWind.pdf
Cheers.
Bayside Kayak Angler
Sandringham Anglers' Club
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Re: Effect of wind on kayaking progress

Post by Seasherpa »

Great link!
Was discussing the exact same thing with a bunch of intrepid new kayak fishos yesterday :thumbsup:
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

A lot also has to do with wind catching nature of kayak, and its ability to track straight,ie amount of inefficiency due to having to do corrective paddling. Wave action or lack of would also come into it.

I know the revo 16 can brush off a headwind that the quest would struggle to make any headway in. let alone less exhausting to keep up for anytime. Even going into extreme recline seating when pedaling is a lot easier than bolt upright that is required for paddling.

I would love to able to actually do a measured test and see were that failure point is.
Mr Tangle
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Viking pro fish 400

Post by Mr Tangle »

Good article! I don't go out if is more than 10 knots
I been out in 20 knots and is not fun just miserable :thumbsup:
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

This is another advantage that the pedal-yaks have - the propulsion system is always in the water and unaffected by the wind.

The bloke that pedalled a Hobie Adventure across Bass Strait mentioned that he could easily outpace the sea kayaks that he was travelling with once a headwind picked up.

When you have a paddle in your hands it acts like a 'mini-sail' and catches the wind on each stroke. Plus the ability to 'lay back' in a pedal yak also reduces your wind-resistance.
laneends wrote:I know the revo 16 can brush off a headwind that the quest would struggle to make any headway in. let alone less exhausting to keep up for anytime. Even going into extreme recline seating when pedaling is a lot easier than bolt upright that is required for paddling.
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Main reason I got the revo 16 was that if it does pick up the margin to get back safely is higher. Even still I dont deliberately go out in forecast over 10knots, but still have been caught in 20knots from time to time. haven't got near to the limit of the revo yet, over shortish distances anyway, a long haul may be a different story
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

Recently on the Viking Reload I had to paddle 13kms into a 15-20 knot headwind that hit much sooner than forecast, at rest facing into the wind I was being blown backward at between 3- 4kph so it was immediately apparent it was going to take a long time to get back in, 13kms usually takes less than 2hrs, it took 5hrs and during the strongest gusts I was only going 2kph, it was a tough way to finish a 42km round trip. The trick is not to panic and paddle harder than you usually do, just keep a steady pace with good form and you'll get there eventually, trying to push harder wears you out very quickly and doesn't give you much more overall speed however if you're being blown backward faster than your usual cruising speed then you have no choice but to anchor up and call for help.
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Smish wrote: The trick is not to panic and paddle harder than you usually do, just keep a steady pace with good form and you'll get there eventually, trying to push harder wears you out very quickly and doesn't give you much more overall speed
This is where a good GPS, preferably not hand held if paddling, is essential, otherwise you dont know if you are making headway or not if there are no land marks close by. Pointless flogging yourself for no net gain
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

I notice my prowler comes into its element in a headwind / choppy conditions. Eats the revo and viking i normally paddle with whereas flat water were all similar speeds
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
Galey
Lord of the fish
kayak: Ok Frenzy

Post by Galey »

My little yak is terrible in the wind. I have a tree in the neighbours yard I look at and if its bending a bit I stay home. Not very scientific but works a treat.