How to lose your gear

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Re: How to lose your gear

Post by Hvalross »

Watching the first video had me cringing, mostly with embarrasment. This character has me visualising an earnest church going ex boy scout with a head full of zest and unrality....the kind of person that is all too ready to get in a huddle with similar brainless twats to " bond" in fellowship as an alternative to getting off his ass and getting a few hard cruel worldly facts.

Its this sort of character that will really get into a tight spot that will put rescuers in peril without it ever occuring to him/ her that their ignorant half baked zeal is downright bloody dangerous, mostly to others that would feel compelled to render assistance rather than stand back and allow them to euthanase themselves.

The type that always blames others, it was the lure that tore his waders...WADERS!!!!! In a yak at sea....not his own ineptitude and so on.....and on.

Ps. I have no issues with church going, its a great way to keep priests and pastors off the street and away from temptation 8-)
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Steve_R wrote:
4liters wrote:I've had the least hassles when I go in backward through the surf.
The backwards method seems to make a lot of sense in the video below but I'm not sure it would suit a Hobie Revo. Pedal kayaks are pigs in surf. Either you paddle and have no access to rudder or you pedal and use the rudder but risk bending up shaft/s.

Shane made it look pretty easy in his PA. I've found it's better to stow the rudder and steer with the paddle while going in backwards anyway.
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

4liters wrote: Shane made it look pretty easy in his PA. I've found it's better to stow the rudder and steer with the paddle while going in backwards anyway.
I've only seen Shane come in during easy surf or WP, would love to get more tips on bringing my PA in with bigger waves :D
John 3.16/17
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

Yako wrote:
4liters wrote: Shane made it look pretty easy in his PA. I've found it's better to stow the rudder and steer with the paddle while going in backwards anyway.
I've only seen Shane come in during easy surf or WP, would love to get more tips on bringing my PA in with bigger waves :D
Shane is a big strong bloke that has accumulated a heap of know how by trial and error. He has a great knowledge of the PA's and their quirks. For me if I did have to deal with such a situation whilst fully loaded with gear I will simply slip over the side and hang onto the back of the yak.
The surf day taught me that it is damn hard to get a PA to tip if there is no body on board, it is much less prone to taking on water into the hull and gear stays put and safe.
Given that we are encouraged to dress to be safe in an emergency, for me it is a tiny step to accept that a) I am dressed and wearing a lifejacket that can be inflated at need and b) getting dry is easy compared to chasing lost and floating gear. Once in water shallow enough to stand the yak was easily handled IF, and only IF a person keeps their yak at 90 degrees to the surf. If a person allows the PA to get at an angle to the waves the heavy wave driven yak can and will put considerable stress on your grip. At one stage my yak was torn out of my hands, I was hanging on with two hands and have strong hands......the yak took off like a rocket and I had no hope of catching it. In my case Lobo was waiting and watching my efforts and kept my yak from rolling and worse heading along the beach and being towed out to sea. Most beaches will have a tow going, better to assume its a strong one and stay safe.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

4liters wrote:
Steve_R wrote:
4liters wrote:I've had the least hassles when I go in backward through the surf.
The backwards method seems to make a lot of sense in the video below but I'm not sure it would suit a Hobie Revo. Pedal kayaks are pigs in surf. Either you paddle and have no access to rudder or you pedal and use the rudder but risk bending up shaft/s.

Shane made it look pretty easy in his PA. I've found it's better to stow the rudder and steer with the paddle while going in backwards anyway.
Thanks. I'll give it a try if I decide not to sell the Revo AND can get back onto the beach! It's been too hard a climb since the June storm.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

The backwards technique works well in a Hobie, especially in small to medium surf, you just need some patience getting in. I keep the fins and rudder down as you need to be able to maneuver quickly into oncoming waves. Wait outside the breakers and watch the sets so that you can hopefully time a lull between the bigger waves. Then just follow close behind a wave as far as you can while keeping a lookout for what's coming behind. Before the next wave come you need to turn around directly facing into it with enough speed to penetrate through. Then just repeat angling in across the sets until you eventually get in. You can try reverse paddling but I usually prefer to tack across the surf turning back into each oncoming wave.

This technique is good for most surf but in bigger waves (say well over 1m) you're normally better off just jumping off and hanging off the rear of the yak to surf it in. Make sure you stow all your gear and not have anything on you that can't get wet. Ride the waves in till just behind the break then jump off in plenty of time before a wave breaks on you so you can get around to the back. Then just ride it in like a body board kicking your legs to keep it moving straight and forward.
0408 565 763
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

If you normally go in using Mirage power, a sailing rudder gives good control. I never broached after fitting mine. Best value accessory ever IMO. Far superior to the standard rudder.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
shane
Vyak Addict

Post by shane »

Steve_R wrote:If you normally go in using Mirage power, a sailing rudder gives good control. I never broached after fitting mine. Best value accessory ever IMO. Far superior to the standard rudder.
Similar with the PA, I've got a much bigger rudder than standard. Good for turning quickly into waves however get stuck pointing down a good wave and it'll come out of the water and you'll turtle.
0408 565 763
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Wonder if the 180 drive will make reverse landings in a mirage drive more viable?
shane
Vyak Addict

Post by shane »

laneends wrote:Wonder if the 180 drive will make reverse landings in a mirage drive more viable?
It should be great for them. Reverse landing are viable now as long as the surf isn't too big to punch through (you wouldn't be launching through those anyway). A reverse drive should speed up the whole process as you could punch through the wave suck that makes it take ages to be washed in. It's often too risky to turn towards the beach between waves and reverse paddling is less effective. So the 180 should be an improvement as long as you can reach the toggles in time for the next wave. :lol:
0408 565 763