PA hatch seals

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Re: PA hatch seals

Post by bjspinner »

shane wrote:
Yako wrote: Had the yak on the roof on the way home yesterday through the rain etc- Guess what almost 4litres of water was inside the hull after about 2hrs45 mins driving :o
Rich, I had the same issue where my PA would have water in it after rain. The problem ended up being a crack in the top deck that would seep water through and eventually opened up, especially while under load. It's worth supporting the whole hull then filling it completely with water. This is the only way I found the leak in the deck. The location was where the drain groove is in the RHS tackle depression in the floor, next to the vertical buttress. I've had the same crack appear here in 2 PA hulls.
More than likely when you strap it down the load is not spread across the hull, so it opens up the crack because the hull is only supported in a couple ot areas.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

bjspinner wrote: More than likely when you strap it down the load is not spread across the hull, so it opens up the crack because the hull is only supported in a couple ot areas.
Quite possible, although I've used padded tubes long the scupper grooves to spread the load for the last few years.
0408 565 763
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

It's possible it was a bit tight on the roof even though I tested it. I put solid foam style noodles in the channels to support the hull in transit.
I'll fill up the PA as Shane suggests & see if there are any leaks, I'll look into the Clark rubber seal that Gary has suggested too. Someone else suggested I run a length of surgical tubing around the "White" tub's underside lip so it seals on the top edge of the hatch, so I may do that too with a sheet of polyethylene or similar sheet on the hatch lid.. Hopefully I can go Overkill :lol: & fix this for good.
I'll check the seals on the tackle box hatch too while I'm at it & the rear hatch (which does take in small amounts of water which is also annoying.
Anyway it won't stop me getting out there and enjoying myself :up:
John 3.16/17
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

What year is your PA?
Some pics here of the common PA cracking on early models https://www.google.com.au/search?q=crac ... 88&bih=518
And read this http://slhobie.com.au/info/faq/163-q-ho ... de-my-hull
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
Yako
Lord of the fish

Post by Yako »

My PA is a 2011 model.
I'm hoping to fill it up tomorrow with water to see if there are any "deck" or scupper leaks.
Visually I can't see any cracks on top and from my experience the hull is solid, so it must be on top.
John 3.16/17
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

Tip some water down the rod tubes at the front as well. Could be a potential leak.
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

Yako wrote:My PA is a 2011 model.
I'm hoping to fill it up tomorrow with water to see if there are any "deck" or scupper leaks.
Visually I can't see any cracks on top and from my experience the hull is solid, so it must be on top.
While on the ground put a tie from side rail to side rail and tighten it up, will simulate it being on the roof.
Put some food dye in the water will help to see if there are any racks or holes easier.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
Yako
Lord of the fish

Post by Yako »

Found a crack on the RHS of the deck near the front of the seat. By having my yak & another yak tied against it increased the hole size. My presumption is the crack may have been there before I went out and with the rough conditions & trying to stabilise the other yak put more load on that area and could have caused a "pump" like action into the hull.
I found a few "known" leaks from the black tubes.
I've repaired the cracks, welded the tubes shut (@$#*% Hobie never did it right, they should replace everyone's for doing such a Cr%# job :( )
Made new "gasket seals" at the front of the tubes as they were leaking too.
Shortened all the hatch shock cords to get a tighter seal.
Still need to get the "Torana" seal & Plano hatch seal.
No leaks from the scuppers, mirage well, hull etc :up:
Attachments
IMG_0287.JPG
IMG_0280.JPG
IMG_0286.JPG
IMG_0281.JPG
John 3.16/17
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Yep, same crack I've had twice. It's surprising how much water those cracks let inside the hull. Anything coming over the side near the seat area just flows straight into the hole, filling her up pretty quick. The welding looks OK. I put some stainless mesh into the last crack for extra reinforcement and it's held together well over a year without further issue.
0408 565 763
Yako
Lord of the fish

Post by Yako »

I used quite a bit of polyethylene (I got from SLH) over and around the crack making sure to fuse both materials together.
I have stood on the area subsequently and it's solid. I've heard of people putting mesh in their welds.
I'll keep an eye on this and the other side in future.
Now to get the seals & I'm going to make a strap to go over the front hatch to keep a tight seal.
All up not too much drama although I would've preferred not having these issues :)
John 3.16/17