PA hatch seals

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Re: PA hatch seals

Post by Jenko »

Rich, to be honest I never had much water come in via the front hatch and really only think you'd get a large amount if you turtled. A seal can only help but wouldn't frett too much about it. Hope you have it all sorted now as I know how hard it is to peddle a yak in rough water when it's half full of water, not the best feeling.
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

With a bit of stuff on the back of the yak like anchor, rods etc in a crate it does make the yak want to roll over when full of water inside :down: from my experience last year in WP when I put holes in my scupper without realising it when I launched :o
Last week with really high gusts and swell in Corner inlet I really was struggling to keep it from going over a few times.
Anyway I got some stuff from Clark Ripoff :o Rubber this evening and will have things sorted for the weekend :up:
I have seen a few clips on Youtube (including Rhino's) where the PA's turtled and the front hatch was full of water when righted (even if it's just the tub, that's a lot of water in the nose).
John 3.16/17
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

If you flip one on a surf launch and it spends a while inverted, there will typically be a fair bit of water in the hull. So best to take it back to the beach, drain it out and go again.
0408 565 763
Yako
Lord of the fish

Post by Yako »

shane wrote:If you flip one on a surf launch and it spends a while inverted, there will typically be a fair bit of water in the hull. So best to take it back to the beach, drain it out and go again.
Sounds good to me, thanks Shane :thumbsup:
John 3.16/17
Yako
Lord of the fish

Post by Yako »

The hatch seals much better,did a test dumping a bucket of water with forward motion & only got about 2ml in from opening the lid to check.
Still want to put some tubing around the underneath of the white tub to close gaps more :up:
Attachments
IMG_0297.JPG
John 3.16/17