Splash!

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Galey
Lord of the fish
kayak: Ok Frenzy

Re: Splash!

Post by Galey »

vicyak wrote:Once activated it would be cumbersome and attempting to correct the kayak would be difficult. I wasn't concerned however if at all I was the slightest concerned the pull cord was ready. Also I was wearing very light clothing which made swimming easy. I once was a very good swimmer (stopped about 4 years ago). I used to swim 4km every Monday night in the bay.
Ah I see. Well good on you for sharing the tale and hope your back into it soon enough. :thumbsup:
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

Yes if they were leashed I'd have the rods however do you really want lines dangling everywhere with sharp hooks around your legs. I would have laid the rods down flat and strap them which probably would have been ok. I had them upright so the reels don't get wet. I tend not to damage the tips as well as much.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

vicyak wrote:Yes if they were leashed I'd have the rods however do you really want lines dangling everywhere with sharp hooks around your legs. I would have laid the rods down flat and strap them which probably would have been ok. I had them upright so the reels don't get wet. I tend not to damage the tips as well as much.
I generally only tend to only use rod leashes offshore, and even then its due to the quality of fish rather than the risk of loosing rods in a capsize. If the bay slopped up and I was a yak with out internal rod storage, I'd probably try to take the reels off and stick them in a hatch or dry bag and if I lost the rods, so be it. Usually the reel is the more expensive part anyway. Just a thought.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

outback paul wrote:
The other point worth considering, is that although leashes on the rods can be a pain in the bum, perhaps even if we don't use them while fishing, it might be worth using them while travelling (especially in difficult conditions).
If you dont have locking rod holders then a very short leash that can clip onto the rod tube/holder/adjacent padeye when not being used would prevent rods swinging around on long leashes
Yes if they were leashed I'd have the rods however do you really want lines dangling everywhere with sharp hooks around your legs. I would have laid the rods down flat and strap them which probably would have been ok. I had them upright so the reels don't get wet. I tend not to damage the tips as well as much.
This is one of the reasons I prefer to remove terminal rigs when heading in, especially paternosters. The hooks can still catch even if rod disappears, so it is effectively leashed by loose terminal rigs.

I would love to have internal or at least secure horizontal rod storage ability
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

The PA has rod tubes in the front bulkhead and has H rail and H rail rod holder. My rods get stowed and clipped in safe as by the H rail holder. Rolling the yak has no effect on stowed rods.

Like rocket launchers on game boats, array of rods impresse fools, and costs the boater heaps if he flips. Yak rods and reels dont cost as much, but it still hurts to lose good gear without good reason.

Leashes save rods that are in use.......IMHO travelling with leashed rods is asking for trouble in a roll over.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Seasherpa »

laneends wrote: I would love to have internal or at least secure horizontal rod storage ability
Come join us on the dark side Keith :evilgrin:
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Seasherpa wrote:
laneends wrote: I would love to have internal or at least secure horizontal rod storage ability
Take a straight swap of a well used quest 13 for a spanking new profisha and your on.. :lol: :lol: Still paying off my last extravaganza.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Seasherpa »

laneends wrote:
Seasherpa wrote:
Take a straight swap of a well used quest 13 for a spanking new profisha and your on.. :lol: :lol: Still paying off my last extravaganza.
If you buy one for the price of two, I'll give you one free :lol:
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

Seasherpa wrote:
laneends wrote: Take a straight swap of a well used quest 13 for a spanking new profisha and your on.. :lol: :lol: Still paying off my last extravaganza.
If you buy one for the price of two, I'll give you one free :lol:
Remember your pal timmy when you get that free one keith :lol:
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

If you have DIY PVC rocket launchers or similar there are a few ways to make rods more secure. The first is an L shaped slot that helps stop the reel falling out vertically when the yaks inverted (it works but not foolproof). The other method is to use a PVC ring with a slot cut out for the reel stem and that then slips over the PVC rod tube. Flaring the end of the rod tube provides a stop to the ring, rotate it to let the reel stem out of its tube slot oand rotate it back to lock the rod in. These are something that can sit on the rocket launcher out of the way until you want to lock a rod in while travelling.

Its hard to describe so here's Mav's original post:
http://vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... ng#p179532
0408 565 763