Splash!

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Outback Yak
Square eyes
kayak: Hobi outback

Re: Splash!

Post by Outback Yak »

Thanks Brian and good to hear you're ok. Helpful to keep a clear head and not panic in that situation and reinforces that we should all practice re-entries on a regular basis, maybe more so for those kayakers who, like me, aren't as flexible or as strong as they used to be. :thumbsup: I keep a home made stirrup in the front hatch but, fortunately, have not had the need to use it....as yet!
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

That rescue step or home made stirrup is a good idea however no point leaving in hatch. Should be mounted at all times. I will make a home made version.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

All yaks tend to have their arse turned in a following sea. The problem with pedal yaks is that you dont have paddle in hand to help balance and to haul back on to correct. Vantage style seats also mean you cant lean right back to stop you tipping forward. Add in the large open cockpits which fill like a bathtub when swamped and loosing all stability, so you have little chance of recovery before a closely following second wave hits you.

Thanks for sharing so we can all learn, it can happen to anyone, in a far worse location
cotso
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by cotso »

PA 's with a big wide buoyant arse is no different than the same in a surfboard. It'll lift and you'll loose control especially if you don't know how to ride a wave and compensate
BAYSIDE WOOD TURNING & SELF STORAGE. New 20 foot vented shipping containers, CCTV security.24/7 access, your own main gate code and your lock. $200 per month. Ph 5981-8411
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

laneends wrote:All yaks tend to have their arse turned in a following sea. The problem with pedal yaks is that you dont have paddle in hand to help balance and to haul back on to correct. Vantage style seats also mean you cant lean right back to stop you tipping forward. Add in the large open cockpits which fill like a bathtub when swamped and loosing all stability, so you have little chance of recovery before a closely following second wave hits you.

Thanks for sharing so we can all learn, it can happen to anyone, in a far worse location
Yeah, I've had this happen a couple of times in my Prowler. Like you say having the paddle to brace with probably makes a lot of difference, as does being able to quickly turn it from being side on.
Galey
Lord of the fish
kayak: Ok Frenzy

Post by Galey »

Glad you made it through in one piece. How come though you didn't activate your PFD? Wasn't really required or is it too cumbersome to move around your upturned yak? Just curious that's all.
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Galey wrote:Glad you made it through in one piece. How come though you didn't activate your PFD? Wasn't really required or is it too cumbersome to move around your upturned yak? Just curious that's all.
Makes reentry harder, so often not inflated unless needed.
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

Once activated it would be cumbersome and attempting to correct the kayak would be difficult. I wasn't concerned however if at all I was the slightest concerned the pull cord was ready. Also I was wearing very light clothing which made swimming easy. I once was a very good swimmer (stopped about 4 years ago). I used to swim 4km every Monday night in the bay.
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Post by outback paul »

laneends wrote:All yaks tend to have their arse turned in a following sea. The problem with pedal yaks is that you dont have paddle in hand to help balance and to haul back on to correct. Vantage style seats also mean you cant lean right back to stop you tipping forward. Add in the large open cockpits which fill like a bathtub when swamped and loosing all stability, so you have little chance of recovery before a closely following second wave hits you.

I have to agree with you Keith, I would certainly feel more comfortable in a difficult following sea
with a paddle in my hands, even in the Revo 13 which is reasonably stable.

The other point worth considering, is that although leashes on the rods can be a pain in the bum, perhaps even if we don't use them while fishing, it might be worth using them while travelling (especially in difficult conditions).
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

4liters wrote:

Yeah, I've had this happen a couple of times in my Prowler. Like you say having the paddle to brace with probably makes a lot of difference, as does being able to quickly turn it from being side on.
In the revo I have tried having the paddle in hand while pedaling, but as you need one hand on rudder you are holding paddle one handed and invariably it catches on something or the water itself causing more of a distraction than help. Not to mention makes bracing even harder as neither feet not hands are firmly planted. Paddle yaks are simply way easier in following seas and beach landings.