Splash!

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Splash!

Post by vicyak »

I decided to head out tonight and forecast was for 10knot Southerlies. The other day I noticed about 30 boats about 1.5km from the St.Kilda breakwall. So tonight I headed over there. Wind picked up and I know this wasn't 10 knots. My anchor just wouldn't hold properly. Checked it was blowing onshore southerly 19knots. Bit choppy at St.Kilda. About 7pm decide enough and to start heading in behind the breakwall for shelter. I didn't want to come in when it got dark in rough conditions so thought I'd do it with plenty of light remaining. On my way back in I get flipped. My PA14 is now upside down. I just couldn't get the yak back over again.

I made a mistake of coming directly in with the waves instead coming in on a slight angle. Not sure if it would have helped. I think I just got 2 unlucky waves very close together. First wave I felt my rudder go over the back of the wave and then immediately 2nd wave breaks right on me and over I go.

Equipment lost;
- My 4 best rods and reels. My 2 crap ones I still.
- Anchor and anchor reel/rope
- My lure box with probably $200+ of lures in it
- Light

However I still have myself without having great difficulty and that I'm happy with. I can buy new stuff.

I was in the water for about 7 minutes holding onto the yak. I was drifting towards the St.Kilda breakwall and probably about 30-40 minute drift before I'm there. I thought if I can't mount I'll wait it out. However a boat saw me and helped me out. Boarded and towed me back to my launching spot. I was very lucky I made the decision to come in before it got dark as if that accident happened on low light it could have been different.

So once I get my Kayak operational first thing I will be doing is making it easier for myself to flip the PA14.

There was a few good things I did well;
- didn't panic
- I had my flares still accessible including rocket flare.
- Of course life jacket (although I didn't inflate it).

I need to learn to mount and turn an upside down PA14. I will be trying this shortly.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: Splash!

Post by shane »

Not a fun experience Brian but I'm glad you came through it safely, just a bit of lost gear.

Hobies, especially the bigger slower ones can get turned on a wave very quickly and at that point there's not much you can do. Yes coming in at tacking at 45 degrees, moving across the the wave side of the seat and leaning into waves does help a lot. A bigger rudder also helps but there can always be waves that put the rear out of the water. If its really bad it may be better to slow down and drift in facing into the wind/waves, even throw out a drift chute.

I'm not sure what you tried with turning it over but practice will definately help. I've been able to flip the PA14 back up by reaching up/over and grabbing the fins, then using your weight to roll it over. I've also tried doing this in the surf zone and its much harder. They also get a bit of water in them. While you're practicing also look at how you store your gear. There are approaches you can use to stow gear and rods that should keep them with the yak.
0408 565 763
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

it's a pain to loose gear but that replaceable , good you ended up safe -- I've been out with guys with PAs and trailing seas and it's scary to watch how poorly they handle this
so you aren't the first or the last to fall prey to a trailing sea with a PA

Rhino did a youtube clip a while back flipping and re mounting a PA - with some much primary stability flipping them back will always be hard work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ec5g5L5oxw

at about 3.30 into the clip some serious bracing with the paddle stopped the yak going over near the beach in a small shorey - of cause you don't normally hold a paddle or get your weight that far across with out practice

I seen how much work Shane puts in on big waves with his PA a real lot of weight transfer to the wave -
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

PA's are just not made for those sloppy conditions. Designed as fishing yaks for lakes and dams. Flat rivers. Not 20kt bays and offshore. That is the area that revos, AI's and Outbacks were made for.

Lucky all is well and you are not another statistic. :thumbsup: on keeping your cool and waiting out the situation.

Perhaps a something like this might be helpful
http://slhobie.com.au/gear/kayak-access ... escue-step
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Wind Waker wrote:PA's are just not made for those sloppy conditions. Designed as fishing yaks for lakes and dams. Flat rivers. Not 20kt bays and offshore. That is the area that revos, AI's and Outbacks were made for.
I would definitely not put Outbacks in this category. I've been out in rough conditions with Outbacks in a PA and the PA definitely handled it better. It's also got a lot to do with the operator, which tends to make sweeping statements a bit irrelevant.
0408 565 763
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

Manual inflation of the life jacket may have been another thing worth considering if you didn't want to discharge the CO2 cylinder.

Just goes to show re entries practice is where it's at, glad your safe.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

I've seen that Rhino video when I started on the Yak 2 years ago. I have practiced mounting a few times but not turning over the kayak in rough condition. I will look at getting that rescue step to help give me leverage.

I've been out in conditions like this before however I made the mistake of handling the wave incorrectly. I should have stayed shallow as well. That issue had have happened 300m from shore then I would have been much happier.
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

shane wrote:
Wind Waker wrote:PA's are just not made for those sloppy conditions. Designed as fishing yaks for lakes and dams. Flat rivers. Not 20kt bays and offshore. That is the area that revos, AI's and Outbacks were made for.
I would definitely not put Outbacks in this category. I've been out in rough conditions with Outbacks in a PA and the PA definitely handled it better. It's also got a lot to do with the operator, which tends to make sweeping statements a bit irrelevant.
I think we'll agree to disagree Shane. The PA is a ripper for still water but once waves start breaking there is no way I would want to be in the PA over the outback. Top heavy and ridiculous amounts of primary are a recipe for disaster let alone how much easier the outback is to right and remount.

Maybe if you are a bigger unit than me you might feel differant (5'9 and 85kg) but the outback is a dream in sloppy conditions besides being faster and less prone to lifting the rudder then steering itself sideways. Its a wetter ride but generally milder mannered.

Heck I'd rather surf the sport then the PA in those situations.

I'm not bagging the PA as yak its just not the best thing for bad conditions especially if you are not used to the tendancy of it to bury the nose, lift the rudder and self steer itself broadside. You need to be very aware of it and be ready to hang ten out into the waves face and hope for the best. Or as you mentioned, spin 180 and face into it
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Dad and I were caught in some strong winds in Eildon, that put up some white water. His PA12 was all over the place going downwind and it had nothing to do with his experience. The big rudder made a difference in later trips but didn't solve the problems downwind and his rudder was a custom made BIG rudder. It probably has something to do with the different shape of the rear of yaks and that the tapered rear end of the Outback allows waves to diverge around it easily, whereas the flat arse end of the PA just stops them, so they push the PA out of the way, IMHO.

Good to hear you are ok Brian and thank you for sharing. Your lesson shared may save someone else. :thumbsup:
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

Glad you are safe. Bugger losing good gear...sucks.

Seems no matter where you are eg. Maverick at Eildon a person needs to stay alert and perhaps almost over cautious in building conditions.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...