Splash!

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Re: Splash!

Post by Hvalross »

shane wrote:If you have DIY PVC rocket launchers or similar there are a few ways to make rods more secure. The first is an L shaped slot that helps stop the reel falling out vertically when the yaks inverted (it works but not foolproof). The other method is to use a PVC ring with a slot cut out for the reel stem and that then slips over the PVC rod tube. Flaring the end of the rod tube provides a stop to the ring, rotate it to let the reel stem out of its tube slot oand rotate it back to lock the rod in. These are something that can sit on the rocket launcher out of the way until you want to lock a rod in while travelling.

Its hard to describe so here's Mav's original post:
http://vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... ng#p179532
Shane, even those carry the risk, in shallows, to break rods in a rollover. A good friend had just that happen at a bar entrance his gear was ok till the rig was carried by the force of the sea in to a shallower bank....wiped the slate clean as it were.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by Anthony »

Glad you're okay Brian, a bit of gear is a small price to pay.

I just did some re entry practice in my PA the other day with it set up as I'd normally fish minus my reels on the rods. I made up a reentry step ladder based on the rescue step but with only one strap as I don't think both a necessary. I keep it attached to the H-rail and tuck the bag into the mesh pocket so it's always ready to go. It made it very easy to do a side entry in the PA over the H-rail and also made righting the PA a lot easier. I also did some front and back entries cover all my options when things go wrong. The conditions I went out in where about 10-15kts which is the most I'll normally go out in but I do want to do some reentry practice in some rough weather so I can be prepared for an unexpected change in conditions. Perhaps we should organise a meet up so we can safely do some reentry practice in rough conditions with others around incase something goes wrong.

I personally like having the rods stored behind the seat is better than in the horizontal holders on the PA as it keeps the deck clear. I copied shanes triple rocket launcher style holders than go into the moulded in rod holders and I think the work very well. The keep the rods nice and accessible whilst leaving a path for entry to the stern of the PA which is the easiest way to get back in. To keep the rods secure when necessary I just have a very short length of bungee to clip onto the reel. I don't leash the rods when they are in use though because I think that longer leashes an extra hazard that I'd rather not have. Of course as Andrew mentioned you do run the risk of breaking the rods if you capsize in shallow water so they aren't going to be the best option for every one.
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

Anthony wrote:Glad you're okay Brian, a bit of gear is a small price to pay.

I just did some re entry practice in my PA the other day with it set up as I'd normally fish minus my reels on the rods. I made up a reentry step ladder based on the rescue step but with only one strap as I don't think both a necessary. I keep it attached to the H-rail and tuck the bag into the mesh pocket so it's always ready to go. It made it very easy to do a side entry in the PA over the H-rail and also made righting the PA a lot easier. I also did some front and back entries cover all my options when things go wrong. The conditions I went out in where about 10-15kts which is the most I'll normally go out in but I do want to do some reentry practice in some rough weather so I can be prepared for an unexpected change in conditions. Perhaps we should organise a meet up so we can safely do some reentry practice in rough conditions with others around incase something goes wrong.

I personally like having the rods stored behind the seat is better than in the horizontal holders on the PA as it keeps the deck clear. I copied shanes triple rocket launcher style holders than go into the moulded in rod holders and I think the work very well. The keep the rods nice and accessible whilst leaving a path for entry to the stern of the PA which is the easiest way to get back in. To keep the rods secure when necessary I just have a very short length of bungee to clip onto the reel. I don't leash the rods when they are in use though because I think that longer leashes an extra hazard that I'd rather not have. Of course as Andrew mentioned you do run the risk of breaking the rods if you capsize in shallow water so they aren't going to be the best option for every one.
I have practiced re entry a few times and in rough weather. However in all occasions the yak was upright. Upside down was the issue. I highly recommend trying that. Do it on an on shore wind not far from land. Flipping the yak takes practice obviously. The step ladder in the mesh pocket is a good idea. It would have made my job a lot easier. I was lucky on a few factors.
- 1.3km isn't that out when the wind is pushing you in.
- Plenty of boat traffic
- Warm water
- Wearing good clothing.
- Daylight.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

vicyak wrote: - Daylight.
Important point for those that go out in the dark, what light do you have available if your yak is upside down in the pitch black. If you have taken a dump good chance any headlamp is now rooted as few are waterproof. You dont want to rely on retreiving and holding a waterproof torch as you will need hands free to self rescue.

I was offshore at anglesea a couple of weeks ago close to dusk hauling on a stuck anchor to head in, and was well aware if I tipped in the process it would not be long before it was dark, I was was out of sight no lights (apart from pfd attached light) with an offshore wind building.
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

I had 300mm of 4mm bungie cord to hold my rods into the rocket launcher, they could never fall out and you could never tangle in them.
I don't understand why anyone coming in from fishing in a PA wouldn't use the horizontal rod storage provided, I got rid of my rocket launcher as I found it a pain in the arse plus I reduced the amount of rods to 2.
Velcro was the sticky one with the hook & loop stuck back to back with the cord in between (actually wasn't looped, but had a knot which wouldn't pull thru)...just roll around whatever rods your taking.
Leash.jpg
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Post by bunyip »

I carry one of these dive torches in my vest, it doesn't float but is waterproof with a magnetic switch,, in factt we have about 10 of them around the house and in the cars.
They are really bright and with the addition of a longer lanyard are quite handy stuffed in a pocket.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3500LM-LED-U ... rkt%3D1%26
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Post by Franko »

Not a good thing to happen but a great lesson to be learned, maybe a West and east side re-entry days could be on the cards over this holiday period.
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

FRANKB wrote:Not a good thing to happen but a great lesson to be learned, maybe a West and east side re-entry days could be on the cards over this holiday period.
I'm doing an offshore re-entry/safety and rigging session with a couple of bloke coming to Portland down at Cape Woolamai on Sunday morning.
All welcome :thumbsup:
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Seasherpa wrote: I'm doing an offshore re-entry/safety and rigging session with a couple of bloke coming to Portland down at Cape Woolamai on Sunday morning.
All welcome :thumbsup:
I should see you out there.
0408 565 763