Marine Safety Victoria Kayak Safety Round Table 30.11.16

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Marine Safety Victoria Kayak Safety Round Table 30.11.16

Post by maverick »

Hey Guys, I went to the Marine Safety Victoria Paddling Round Table last week, which was a follow up from the 2015 inaugural meeting. See below for further info about the meeting. As a result of the most recent meeting MSV have offered to run a short one to two hour information session on READING THE WEATHER FORECASTS AND HOW IT RELATES TO KAYAKING. They also want to chat about USING A PLB EFFECTIVELY IF YOU ARE IN THE WATER. If you would like to attend a session with the MSV guys, please let me know. First session will be in Mornington if there is sufficient interest. If there is sufficient interest I am sure other locations can be found around the metro area to hold the meetings as well.

These sessions are really aimed at people who are new to kayaking and have no idea about what makes suitable and unsuitable kayaking conditions. Obviously seasoned yakkers are welcome, but it is more about getting those people who post up on Facebook or forums, asking if certain conditions will be ok. It will also cover things like wind against tide, tidal flows, and forecasts in general.

In regard to the actual MSV meeting, there was not a lot to note, the statistics were in from the online survey that many yakkers completed a few months ago. The figures indicated that there are far more paddlers & pedalers than was anticipated, over 600,000 in total – with an estimated 150,000 being kayak fisherman. Historically, kayak fatalities make up 30% of the boating fatalities in Victoria, although this year there was only one kayak fatality (non fishing).

The biggest issues identified with kayakers are those that don’t understand offshore winds or forecasts, kayak re-entry and even now there are many people not wearing lifejackets, although compliance by kayak anglers in regard to safety is very high.

Public Service Announcement over.
Last edited by maverick on 05 Dec 2016, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Re: Marine Safety Victoria Kayak Safety Round Table 30.11.1

Post by Hvalross »

Thanks
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
RD.
kayak: Hobbie PA14

Re: Marine Safety Victoria Kayak Safety Round Table 30.11.1

Post by RD. »

Hi Maverick, I am located at Cowes and would be interested in coming across and attending proposed safety meeting
Many thanks .