Storm Rider PFD

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Re: Storm Rider PFD

Post by Jacko »

Hi Bruce,

I purchased a stormrider lite PFD about 2 years ago.
It came boxed & wrapped in plastic packaging so any straps or loops were delivered.

My stormrider lite doesn't appear to have the loop you speak of attached to the back of the neck neck but it has one on the left hand side of the waist strap.
I think if someone wanted to pull me toward them while it is inflated they could grab the collar of the jacket.
I haven't inflated it while in the water so I cant confirm whether a loop is required to secure the inflated bladder & hold it in place at the back of the neck, but I assume not.
The bladder appears to be held in place by the shell of the jacket and the waist straps.

Having said that the PFD site claims the active and hunter comes with a "grab strap" so you should have got one.

I have access to AS 4578 in library at work.
I will have a look tomorrow & see if it calls up a loop or grab strap as a mandatory requirement but I don't think it does.
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

Jacko wrote:Hi Bruce,

I purchased a stormrider lite PFD about 2 years ago.
It came boxed & wrapped in plastic packaging so any straps or loops were delivered.

My stormrider lite doesn't appear to have the loop you speak of attached to the back of the neck neck but it has one on the left hand side of the waist strap.
I think if someone wanted to pull me toward them while it is inflated they could grab the collar of the jacket.
I haven't inflated it while in the water so I cant confirm whether a loop is required to secure the inflated bladder & hold it in place at the back of the neck, but I assume not.
The bladder appears to be held in place by the shell of the jacket and the waist straps.

Having said that the PFD site claims the active and hunter comes with a "grab strap" so you should have got one.

I have access to AS 4578 in library at work.
I will have a look tomorrow & see if it calls up a loop or grab strap as a mandatory requirement but I don't think it does.

Thanks Jacko I am interested to find out.
My original Active/Hunter came with the grab strap.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

Strongly suggest that everyone inflates their PLB and goes waterside, its a real eye opener.........you do NOT want to be trying it for the first time in an emergency!! where your life is hanging on it........
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
Jacko
Lord of the fish

Post by Jacko »

Hvalross wrote:Strongly suggest that everyone inflates their PLB and goes waterside, its a real eye opener.........you do NOT want to be trying it for the first time in an emergency!! where your life is hanging on it........
I have done my fair share of re entry practice wearing the stormrider lite. But have to agree everyone should inflate the PFD too and practice that.
I reckon I may need to deflate the PFD to get back on due to the bulk of the stormrider lite when inflated
bjspinner wrote:
Jacko wrote:I have access to AS 4758 in library at work.

Some extracts from AS4758 below

DEFINITIONS
3.4 Grab strap
A device that assists the manual handling of a person from water.

4 CLASSIFICATION
PFDs are classified by application and buoyancy level as follows:
(a) SOLAS These devices are intended for use in sea-going ships with regard to the
technical provisions of the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea
(SOLAS). The requirements for SOLAS PFDs are specified in ISO 12402-1.
(b) Level 275 This level is intended primarily for offshore use and by people who are
carrying significant weights and thus require additional buoyancy. It is also of value
to those who are wearing clothing which traps air and which may adversely affect the
self-righting capacity of the PFD. It is designed to ensure that the user is floating in a
safe position with the mouth and nose clear of the surface.
(c) Level 150 This level is intended for general offshore and rough weather use where a
high standard of performance is required. It will turn an unconscious person into a
safe position and requires no subsequent action by the user to maintain this position.
(d) Level 100 This level is intended for those who may have to wait for rescue, but are
likely to do so in a safe position in sheltered water. The device should not be used in
rough conditions.
(e) Level 50 This level is intended for use by those who are competent swimmers and
who are near to bank or shore, or who have help and a means of rescue close at hand.
These garments have minimal bulk, they are of limited use in disturbed water, and
cannot be expected to keep the user safe for a long period of time. They do not have
sufficient buoyancy to protect people who are unable to help themselves. They
require active participation by the user.
(f) Special purpose PFDs They perform in the above definitions with different levels of
support, but have modifications related to special application for use, which do not
relate to essential requirements such as in-water performance, stability and safety in
use, or may have use conditions stated on their label to maintain essential
requirements.

Grab strap is mandatory or optional as per the table 2 from AS4758
TABLE 2 ACCESSORIES FOR PFDs
Mandatory (M)/Optional (O)
Grab strap
Level 275 M
Level 150 M
Level 100 O
Level 50 O
Special purpose O
bjspinner
Lord of the fish

Post by bjspinner »

Jacko wrote:
Hvalross wrote:Strongly suggest that everyone inflates their PLB and goes waterside, its a real eye opener.........you do NOT want to be trying it for the first time in an emergency!! where your life is hanging on it........
I have done my fair share of re entry practice wearing the stormrider lite. But have to agree everyone should inflate the PFD too and practice that.
I reckon I may need to deflate the PFD to get back on due to the bulk of the stormrider lite when inflated
bjspinner wrote:
Jacko wrote:I have access to AS 4758 in library at work.

Some extracts from AS4758 below

DEFINITIONS
3.4 Grab strap
A device that assists the manual handling of a person from water.

4 CLASSIFICATION
PFDs are classified by application and buoyancy level as follows:
(a) SOLAS These devices are intended for use in sea-going ships with regard to the
technical provisions of the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea
(SOLAS). The requirements for SOLAS PFDs are specified in ISO 12402-1.
(b) Level 275 This level is intended primarily for offshore use and by people who are
carrying significant weights and thus require additional buoyancy. It is also of value
to those who are wearing clothing which traps air and which may adversely affect the
self-righting capacity of the PFD. It is designed to ensure that the user is floating in a
safe position with the mouth and nose clear of the surface.
(c) Level 150 This level is intended for general offshore and rough weather use where a
high standard of performance is required. It will turn an unconscious person into a
safe position and requires no subsequent action by the user to maintain this position.
(d) Level 100 This level is intended for those who may have to wait for rescue, but are
likely to do so in a safe position in sheltered water. The device should not be used in
rough conditions.
(e) Level 50 This level is intended for use by those who are competent swimmers and
who are near to bank or shore, or who have help and a means of rescue close at hand.
These garments have minimal bulk, they are of limited use in disturbed water, and
cannot be expected to keep the user safe for a long period of time. They do not have
sufficient buoyancy to protect people who are unable to help themselves. They
require active participation by the user.
(f) Special purpose PFDs They perform in the above definitions with different levels of
support, but have modifications related to special application for use, which do not
relate to essential requirements such as in-water performance, stability and safety in
use, or may have use conditions stated on their label to maintain essential
requirements.

Grab strap is mandatory or optional as per the table 2 from AS4758
TABLE 2 ACCESSORIES FOR PFDs
Mandatory (M)/Optional (O)
Grab strap
Level 275 M
Level 150 M
Level 100 O
Level 50 O
Special purpose O
Sorry Rob I did not see this till now, thankyou very much for this.

The vest is a level 150 and claims it has one on their website, as of now it's nearly 4 weeks and 3 phone calls which is poor for a mandatory requirement.
Mobile 0418991898
Jacko
Lord of the fish

Post by Jacko »

bjspinner wrote:
The vest is a level 150 and claims it has one on their website, as of now it's nearly 4 weeks and 3 phone calls which is poor for a mandatory requirement.
That is a poor response about a mandatory requirement -
PFDsales.com.au website says "All StormRider inflatable PFD’S are certified to either standards 1512 Type 1 or 4758.1 150N".

My Stormrider lite has a lable on stating it is type 1 - 150 N.
Is there a label on yours ?
If it is marketed on their website and labeled as a level 150 it is mandatory to have a grab strap and you should have got one.

Try sending them a message via their contact

http://www.pfdsales.com.au/contact/

Hopefully you get a better response than the 3 phone calls.
(At least you will have a written record amd probably an auto response via their contact us form).
bjspinner
Lord of the fish

Post by bjspinner »

Jacko wrote:
bjspinner wrote:
PFDsales.com.au website says "All StormRider inflatable PFD’S are certified to either standards 1512 Type 1 or 4758.1 150N".

If it is marketed on their website and labeled as a level 150 it is mandatory to have a grab strap and you should have got one.

(At least you will have a written record amd probably an auto response via their contact us form).
Yes Rob type1 150N.
I got the "it was posted when you rang, oh you didn't receive it! We will send another"
Still waiting.
:lies: Quite possible
Mobile 0418991898
bjspinner
Lord of the fish

Post by bjspinner »

Jacko wrote:
bjspinner wrote:

Tried their contact and surprise no response so sent an email off to sales and CC'd in the subsidiary company whom I am sure many know on here hopefully a long due response will come tomorrow.
Mobile 0418991898
bjspinner
Lord of the fish

Post by bjspinner »

Just to end this the PFD in question was returned along with the other new one.

In the end I lost 20 dollars on the postage from my refund, I believe it was the top end of the business that was the problem...
In fact the conversation that was had,the owner was quite rude. Considering it involved a missing part that the PFD stated to have on their website, the customer service was poor and rude.

Suffice to say I won't deal with them again.
Mobile 0418991898
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

bjspinner wrote:Just to end this the PFD in question was returned along with the other new one.

In the end I lost 20 dollars on the postage from my refund, I believe it was the top end of the business that was the problem...
In fact the conversation that was had,the owner was quite rude. Considering it involved a missing part that the PFD stated to have on their website, the customer service was poor and rude.

Suffice to say I won't deal with them again.
......and that " owner" will likely be near the head of the que with nuff nuff like Harvey Norman bitching about the trade they are losing to the internet......we are ripped off abused and mistreated by the thugs in business and then they cant work out why we go elsewere....it really is rocket science. .
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...