Storm Rider PFD

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Storm Rider PFD

Post by bjspinner »

Storm Rider PFD.

Who has one of these?
Can you tell me if it has a loop handle that comes out the top of the jacket behind the neck, it may be tucked in the Velcro sealed area.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Storm Rider PFD

Post by laneends »

you talking the inflatable ones or foam ones?
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

bjspinner wrote:Storm Rider PFD.

Who has one of these?
Can you tell me if it has a loop handle that comes out the top of the jacket behind the neck, it may be tucked in the Velcro sealed area.
Yes I have 2 Storm Rider Anglers. Both have a loop tucked in the back and go around the bladder.

When the bladder inflates it bursts the velcro open and the (now) inflated bladder is held in place by that strap.
Same happens with the sides.

Thing is...I was watching a Youtube taken at a Maratime Emergency Services Demo day and this type of PFD, tho approved by the appropriate Authorities was deemed usless to dangerous on the grounds that there is no crotch strap to prevent it from falling off over a persons head....AND it FAILED totally to turn a person who is out to it from their face onto their back...

Bloody scary stuff if one gets to being fair dinkum about their own persnal safety.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
bjspinner
Lord of the fish

Post by bjspinner »

Hvalross wrote:
bjspinner wrote:Storm Rider PFD.

Who has one of these?
Yes I have 2 Storm Rider Anglers. Both have a loop tucked in the back and go around the bladder.

When the bladder inflates it bursts the velcro open and the (now) inflated bladder is held in place by that strap.
Same happens with the sides.

Thing is...I was watching a Youtube taken at a Maratime Emergency Services Demo day and this type of PFD, tho approved by the appropriate Authorities was deemed usless to dangerous on the grounds that there is no crotch strap to prevent it from falling off over a persons head....AND it FAILED totally to turn a person who is out to it from their face onto their back...

Bloody scary stuff if one gets to being fair dinkum about their own persnal safety.
Do you know if the loop is mandatory to have as part of the AS standards for life jackets?
It has the waist belt buckle?
Mine is the hunter vest.
Yes Keith its an inflatable pfd from PFD sales.
Last edited by bjspinner on 05 Dec 2016, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
Mobile 0418991898
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

Bruce,

I am not aware if it is mandatory or not. Just looking at the set up of the PFD suggests that not having it there will void its integrity and would fail inspection, PLUS its going to blow right out of the cover which is a harness, despite its other faults...

I gotta ask you..........Why the question?
bjspinner
Lord of the fish

Post by bjspinner »

Hvalross wrote:Bruce,

I am not aware if it is mandatory or not. Just looking at the set up of the PFD suggests that not having it there will void its integrity and would fail inspection, PLUS its going to blow right out of the cover which is a harness, despite its other faults...

I bought one of these
http://www.pfdsales.com.au/product/stor ... nd-hunter/

To replace an existing PFD that is the same or supposedly, upon receiving the new PFD which came with no packaging I found that it had no loop that comes out from behind the neck like the previously purchased PFD.
Upon a closer look I found the loop strap is actually sewn into the bladder and the outside neoprene of the PFD, so cannot be just slipped over the bladder.

I have contacted the manufacturer and was promised to have this loop sent out, I was told it was not needed.
This was questioned by me as to how if I am in the water can someone or something grab a hold of me incase of an emergency. " I see your point " was told.
After waiting several weeks with still no sign of the loop strap ( or what it may be called ) the manufacturer was contacted again, I was informed that my call would be return.
It's coming upto another week and I am now getting a little peeved as to no response.
I have tried to access the appropriate AS 4758 which was updated a few years ago however can only get part of the requirements unless I buy them from saiglobal.

Just trying to make sure what I believe is a safety issue of my great concern or is the loop strap not a AS 4758 requirement.
Mobile 0418991898
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

bjspinner wrote:

I bought one of these

To replace an existing PFD that is the same or supposedly, upon receiving the new PFD which came with no packaging I found that it had no loop that comes out from behind the neck like the previously purchased PFD.
Upon a closer look I found the loop strap is actually sewn into the bladder and the outside neoprene of the PFD, so cannot be just slipped over the bladder.

I have contacted the manufacturer and was promised to have this loop sent out, I was told it was not needed.
This was questioned by me as to how if I am in the water can someone or something grab a hold of me incase of an emergency. " I see your point " was told.
After waiting several weeks with still no sign of the loop strap ( or what it may be called ) the manufacturer was contacted again, I was informed that my call would be return.
It's coming upto another week and I am now getting a little peeved as to no response.
I have tried to access the appropriate AS 4758 which was updated a few years ago however can only get part of the requirements unless I buy them from saiglobal.

Just trying to make sure what I believe is a safety issue of my great concern or is the loop strap not a AS 4758 requirement.
As to the actual requirements of the Australian Standard......available from the Standards Association as a purchase... you may never get to find out.

My straps are attached to the outer shell, not to the bladder at all. They are NOT robust enough to even hold a person by as they run north south and are not very firmly sewn...its only there to hold the bladder in place when its deployed. Pulling on that, or any other strap in that location will only pull the PFD off the wearer........

I can see why the manufacturer would say its not needed, though I disagree....and they don't supply a crotch strap with the PFD.

IMHO the entire Life Jacket industry is shonk, through and through, selling half assed products protected by self serving standards written by Industry insiders...bit like Industry self regulation......which is why there is a need for Nanny State style regulation, finally the conclusion of the AS Reps was that the demo had INFORMED them that the Standards needed revisiting as the did not deliver what was intended >>>>>>>>>> go figure that for a comment!!
bjspinner
Lord of the fish

Post by bjspinner »

Hvalross wrote:
bjspinner wrote:

I bought one of these

As to the actual requirements of the Australian Standard......available from the Standards Association as a purchase... you may never get to find out.

My straps are attached to the outer shell, not to the bladder at all. They are NOT robust enough to even hold a person by as they run north south and are not very firmly sewn...its only there to hold the bladder in place when its deployed. Pulling on that, or any other strap in that location will only pull the PFD off the wearer........

I can see why the manufacturer would say its not needed, though I disagree....and they don't supply a crotch strap with the PFD.

IMHO the entire Life Jacket industry is shank, through and through, the conclusion of the AS Reps was that the demo had INFORMED them that the Standards needed revisiting as the did not deliver what was intended >>>>>>>>>> go figure that for a comment!!
I have very little confidence in this replacement PFD and am not to happy to put my life on the line with it, just trying to find out the correct requirements it should be at, but won't be paying he price that saiglobal charge to access the AS.
The fact I feel the run around is being done makes me want to bin it....
Mobile 0418991898
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

Ahhh! I think I see your issue with what I, and Storm Rider are saying to you!

I did say that I have ANGLER PFD's by Storm Rider, they cost me $120 each and are quite different from the unit in the link.

That is a lightweight vest, designed I suspect for recreational use in low risk environment. The Angler is more a yoke type with a fairly large bladder and gas cylinders. Is available as Auto activate or manual. It does not have the mesh type back at all.

They are probably spot on when they say you don't need a strap.

Safe, life saving PFD's cost many hundreds of dollars, and the ONLY unit that worked to turn a person onto their back was an all in one unit at the top end..... Hence the comment from the Standards fella who had obviously never had to face a Public demonstration of the CRAP that is sold purporting to conform to AS....which is all smoke and mirrors anyway.

We are being sold a pup advertised as a safety device, as per usual with free enterprise Caveat Emptor........buyer beware!!
bjspinner
Lord of the fish

Post by bjspinner »

Hvalross wrote:Ahhh! I think I see your issue with what I, and Storm Rider are saying to you!

I did say that I have ANGLER PFD's by Storm Rider, they cost me $120 each and are quite different from the unit in the link.

That is a lightweight vest, designed I suspect for recreational use in low risk environment. The Angler is more a yoke type with a fairly large bladder and gas cylinders. Is available as Auto activate or manual. It does not have the mesh type back at all.

They are probably spot on when they say you don't need a strap.

Safe, life saving PFD's cost many hundreds of dollars, and the ONLY unit that worked to turn a person onto their back was an all in one unit at the top end..... Hence the comment from the Standards fella who had obviously never had to face a Public demonstration of the CRAP that is sold purporting to conform to AS....which is all smoke and mirrors anyway.

We are being sold a pup advertised as a safety device, as per usual with free enterprise Caveat Emptor........buyer beware!!
Can you answer why the original had the loop strap and the new replacement does not, that's the issue I brought up with them.
Mobile 0418991898