EPIRB or PLB Hot Potato

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: EPIRB or PLB Hot Potato

Post by cheaterparts »

a quick reminder ether a PLB or EPIRB needs to be registered with the AMSA and that is done in 2 year blocks --- just re regoed my EPIRB as 2 years is up since getting it and of cause registering it

for those getting ether beacon it is a simple process and is FREE - just as the re rego and updating info is simple to do --- the site is www.amsa.gov.au/beacons
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Babylon
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

cheaterparts wrote:a quick reminder ether a PLB or EPIRB needs to be registered with the AMSA and that is done in 2 year blocks --- just re regoed my EPIRB as 2 years is up since getting it and of cause registering it

for those getting ether beacon it is a simple process and is FREE - just as the re rego and updating info is simple to do --- the site is http://www.amsa.gov.au/beacons
Registered mine this week(PLB) very easy :thumbsup: Babylon
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Direct from the Kayak Safety Meeting with the MSV in December is that an EPIRB will remain vertical in the water and the aerial will remain pointed in the correct direction. An average person can only physically hold a PLB with an aerial pointed vertically and out of the water for about 10 minutes. After that, the average person wont be able to hold a PLB aerial out of the water and the PLB becomes useless, so it doesn't matter how many hours the battery lasts.

Conversation was had that if PFD designs became Type 1 and had the capacity to hold a PLB vertically, then there could be a change to the legislation. To make a PFD type 1 still useable to a kayaker, suggestions were made about using a normal solid type 2 PFD and add an inflatable collar with a PLB mount on the shoulder. This would hold the PLB aerial out of the water.

I now have a PLB mount on the shoulder, so part way there.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Babylon

Post by Babylon »

PLB inserted into a piece of pool noodle with a weight at the bottom will keep it upright also tethered to person.Cheers Babylon :thumbsup:
sawtell
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Sport

Post by sawtell »

Babylon wrote:PLB inserted into a piece of pool noodle with a weight at the bottom will keep it upright also tethered to person.Cheers Babylon :thumbsup:

It then quickly becomes the size of an epirb defeating the purpose?
Babylon

Post by Babylon »

sawtell wrote:
Babylon wrote:PLB inserted into a piece of pool noodle with a weight at the bottom will keep it upright also tethered to person.Cheers Babylon :thumbsup:

It then quickly becomes the size of an epirb defeating the purpose?
If your on the water you don't have to worry about keeping upright if your on land you can hold upright in your hand best of both worlds on the cheap. :thumbsup:
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

maverick wrote: I now have a PLB mount on the shoulder, so part way there.
Ditto.

However you have it mounted it needs to be the default operating location. Adding bits to it to make it float upright is just another factor to make it not happen. Even ensuring it is kept above water is subject to failure.
Babylon

Post by Babylon »

laneends wrote:
maverick wrote: I now have a PLB mount on the shoulder, so part way there.
Ditto.

However you have it mounted it needs to be the default operating location. Adding bits to it to make it float upright is just another factor to make it not happen. Even ensuring it is kept above water is subject to failure.
All we can do is make the best of what we have hoping never having to us them .
What works for one doesn't necessary work for another.Cheers Babylon
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

maverick wrote:
Conversation was had that if PFD designs became Type 1 and had the capacity to hold a PLB vertically, then there could be a change to the legislation. To make a PFD type 1 still useable to a kayaker, suggestions were made about using a normal solid type 2 PFD and add an inflatable collar with a PLB mount on the shoulder. This would hold the PLB aerial out of the water.

I now have a PLB mount on the shoulder, so part way there.
I wear a type 1 inflatable PFD with my EPIRB in a neoprene pouch on the webbing strap. Means that I have my EPIRB weather I am separated from the Yak or not. As it is one of the smaller varieties it is not a hindrance to normal fishing activities and neither is the PFD because it is inflatable.....So comfortable in fact that I often forget to take it off until I sit in the car.
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

I have mine attached to my (non inflatable) pfd on my shoulder so if I'm in the water it's above the water line (I've checked) If I'm face down nothing's going to help :lol:
If you get separated from your yak like the bloke off Wilsons Prom in Nov last year how does an Epitb help???
John 3.16/17