EPIRB or PLB Hot Potato

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

EPIRB or PLB Hot Potato

Post by Yako »

Sorry to re-Hash this issue, but I came across this article (Below) and thought it worthy to be discussed further and hopefully Transport Safety etc will look into this and do a thorough investigation.
I think Eoin (Owen) and a few others have pointed to the benefits of a PLB over EPIRB (Personally my preference is PLB).
As far as I can tell both put out 5 Watts but the EPIRB battery will go from 48Hrs(average) up to 90Hrs (not very common) transmit period.
Whereas the PLB will only do 24Hrs Transmit.
Some EPIRBS may have longer antenna's than most EPIRBS (but if you can't access the EPIRB what's the point).

http://www.kask.org.nz/plb-or-epirb/
John 3.16/17
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Re: EPIRB or PLB Hot Potato

Post by Seasherpa »

I think its a tricky one Rich. For our application, particularly in Victoria/SA where water temps are how they are, I think the extra run time argument of an EPRIB over a PLB is redundant. If you leave kingfish out of the equation due to being at Portland at least, coastal inshore, then the peak offshore draw-card for yak fishos is the tuna, which means winter temperatures. In which case you wouldn't survive the extra hours provided by the EPIRB due to the water temp.

The problem on the TSV end could be that we are classed in the human powered category, so any regs have to cover us as well as seaskayakers etc. I think our requirements are different as seakayakers will generally eskimo roll after a capsize rather than be out in the water trying to climb back in and don't have the same risk of separation (it can happen but lower risk) so an EPIRB attached to the vessel may be useful there. Maybe it is a case of having separate regs for kayak fishing?

On a side note Rich that article talks about Andrew McAuley, if you haven't seen 'Solo' the documentary about him its excellent. :thumbsup:
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

FishnDive wrote: On a side note Rich that article talks about Andrew McAuley, if you haven't seen 'Solo' the documentary about him its excellent. :thumbsup:
Which can be found on youtube
Yako
Lord of the fish

Post by Yako »

Yes I understand the article referred to Andrew Mcauley (I'm not sure if he was a nutter or adventurer pretty intense stuff), But I think they used his situation trying to get the PLB point across.
I carry my PLB on me every time I'm in my yak as it's on my pfd.
Even when I was going down the Murray earlier this year.
John 3.16/17
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Then there is this
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-06/k ... ed/7697654
may not always be stranded on water
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Post by erik the viking »

"He told rescuers the crocodile savaged his kayak and he used his paddle to successfully fend off the attack.

He was not hurt and managed to paddle his damaged kayak about three kilometres to Townshend Island.

"He was very fortunate," an AMSA said.

"It didn't pierce the kayak. He said he was running on adrenalin [to get to the island]."

Authorities said bad weather then moved in and the man spent four days stranded on the island, before running out of water and provisions and deciding to activate his emergency rescue beacon.

He was found about 7:00 am on Saturday and taken by helicopter back to the mainland, AMSA said."

Four days before activating his beacon?
What was he thinking? Or what was he on? Really.
Some people should just not go near the water, let alone on a kayak on open water!
Grrrrrrrrr.

PS I want his paddle. Must be a beauty to fend off a saltwater croc!
Dognut
Square eyes
kayak: .

Post by Dognut »

You need both.
Yako
Lord of the fish

Post by Yako »

Ideally if going more than 2Nm having both would be good but personally an EPIRB is overkill.
Maybe blokes like Shane or Lobo who could do about 30K's one way maybe.
We don't generally do the same distances as Boaties heading out 50K's onwards.
But I guess paying an extra $300 for 10 years of it's battery life is really a small investment in the long run and you can transfer it to another yak :D
John 3.16/17
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Yako wrote: But I guess paying an extra $300 for 10 years of it's battery life is really a small investment in the long run and you can transfer it to another yak :D
I paid $ 270 for my EPIRB ( $ 27 per year of battery life ) or about the same as 1 pack of Zman Heroz plastics or 1 lure so I agree it's quite a low cost to pay
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

cheaterparts wrote:
Yako wrote: But I guess paying an extra $300 for 10 years of it's battery life is really a small investment in the long run and you can transfer it to another yak :D
I paid $ 270 for my EPIRB ( $ 27 per year of battery life ) or about the same as 1 pack of Zman Heroz plastics or 1 lure so I agree it's quite a low cost to pay
My EPIRB was also around $270 and is quite small, about the size of a large orange, not as compact as a PLB but very manageable on a yak.