Anglesea kayak incident report released

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Re: Anglesea kayak incident report released

Post by Seasherpa »

Yako wrote: Mate my wife is a teacher at a private school and puts in a minimum of 60 Hours a week. Plus she plans her lessons during the week at home and on the weekends. She helps out with yard duty, sleepovers, excursions etc and I know there are others at her school who put in the yards.
I assumed that would be the case Rich but I've never worked in the private system. :thumbsup:
I'm not sure what school Andrew's comments are based upon but it may be time for his son in law to seek out a better one.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

In- laws , partner, her sister and almost all of our friends are in or have been in teaching. Our group includes nine past Principals. Wife is a Uni Professor, we live education 24/7...
The current education policy is churning out illiterates as the overwhelming majority the bulk of victorian students have disfunctional literacy and numeracy skills. We have met many dedicated teachers and the bulk are just surviving day to day.......the case above is the norm......not an exception, it just does not make the papers like this has

The incident subject of this tread flashes in neon lights the enormity of the assumptions made by those outside and within the system. What sort of bloody galah would expose those kids like that, its not just that we are more yak aware.
There are too many people inside the education system that just should not be there, education Policy is a mess, selection criteria flawed, and the battle between the touchy feely lefties and the rose tinted glasses of the right at opposing ends of a spectrum, is too busy point scoring off each other to see the damage they are doing and are unable to see what this incident and many like it each day is actually telling us.

You have my utmost respect and awe as a good teacher, they all do, But the sytem is rotten broke from top to bottom and what is being delivered by the dedicated few is lost to us by the very system within which they have to work because they are hamstrung by curriculum which is designed by never were ( kpi ) aderants whose sole driver was and is promotion.
Study just published bemoans the fact that MANY current student teachers have low language and numeric skills.....where in the system do you see the fundamentals of analytical thinking being delivered? My generation was blessed with the time and people outside of school to teach thinking, my teachers were vetrans of WW2, today parents and teachers alike are time poor.
I put it to you, find me where the system has adapted to that change in driver and I will be a new believer.

These kids and their parents had faith in a flawed system. The well meaning, but wholly unprepared teachers will get hung out to dry, not the actual perpetrators of this misadventure.

Imho the answer is not in more and more regulation, our entire life and every imaginable system is already overloaded with regulation, by far the greatest need here and in almost every aspect of our Society is rational thinking in all its forms and aspects, and there is no one size fits all making KPI an anathama and the single most destructive force at play today.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
Outback Yak
Square eyes
kayak: Hobi outback

Post by Outback Yak »

A very lucky outcome for those involved given the conditions. Better the report was prepared by MSV rather than the Coroner's Office.