Kayaker Rescued Bellarine Peninsula

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Kayaker Rescued Bellarine Peninsula

Post by Yako »

62 year old bloke rescued today from the bay. Thank goodness Coastguard was still going.
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/new ... 63d14e17fb

Bloke couldn't get back into his yak.
John 3.16/17
Yako
Lord of the fish

Re: Kayaker Rescued Bellarine Peninsula

Post by Yako »

This is not good. So he had a pfd but was really lucky someone found him.
No PLB, No flares. No VHF handheld (Torch???) - What was he thinking?????
Rhino may know more about this. Sounds darn stupid to me - deserves a fine.
John 3.16/17
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Inflatable PFD's are more comfortable (possibly) but getting back into a kayak can be harder. The issue still remains you then need to get around with an inflated PFD and get back to shore.

Lucky result, lucky. Hypothermia couldn't have been far away.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

PLB flares etc aren't a requirement as it was inshore. Lights or a waterproof torch as a minimum would have helped him get rescued sooner.

What I can't understand is that this apparently happened 50m off shore. Why didn't he just swim the yak in. Easier than climbing aboard with an inflated pfd1.
0408 565 763
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

shane wrote:PLB flares etc aren't a requirement as it was inshore. Lights or a waterproof torch as a minimum would have helped him get rescued sooner.

What I can't understand is that this apparently happened 50m off shore. Why didn't he just swim the yak in. Easier than climbing aboard with an inflated pfd1.
Hope the answer isn't that he cant swim
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

Listening to k rock while working out that way yesterday they said he was 500m off the shore, mayber the advertiser had a typo? They did say he called out to walkers on the beach who raised the alarm so im not sure?
Yako
Lord of the fish

Post by Yako »

shane wrote:PLB flares etc aren't a requirement as it was inshore. Lights or a waterproof torch as a minimum would have helped him get rescued sooner.

I know it's not a requirement. Personally I always (so far) as a minimum take torch, vhf, phone in pouch & if alone a plb & flares(even in daylight). Although I generally now keep my plb stuck to my pfd (doesn't bother me or get in the way so far)
John 3.16/17
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

If that was me and I couldn't get back on the yak and I was 500m out, I'd get on my back, leave the yak and start kicking my way to shore. 500m kick only would probably take me about 20 minutes..... the physical exertion would also help with keeping warm. That said I'm not 62
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

hammertym wrote:If that was me and I couldn't get back on the yak and I was 500m out, I'd get on my back, leave the yak and start kicking my way to shore. 500m kick only would probably take me about 20 minutes..... the physical exertion would also help with keeping warm. That said I'm not 62
A quote from a website on hypothermia...

"Remain Still And In Place (Don’t Swim Unless The Shore Is Nearby)

The body will actually lose heat faster if you’re exerting energy. Unless the shore, another boat, or another person are nearby, stay still and try to keep as much of your body out of the water as possible. Most people would not be able to swim a mile in water as cold as 50 degrees. Dunking your head underwater will speed up the hypothermia process.

The Heat Escape Lessening Posture (H.E.L.P.) is a good position that can help conserve energy if you’re wearing a personal flotation device — holding your arms against your sides and across your chest, and hugging your knees to your chest, will help maintain body heat for some time."
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

Smish wrote:
hammertym wrote:If that was me and I couldn't get back on the yak and I was 500m out, I'd get on my back, leave the yak and start kicking my way to shore. 500m kick only would probably take me about 20 minutes..... the physical exertion would also help with keeping warm. That said I'm not 62
A quote from a website on hypothermia...

"Remain Still And In Place (Don’t Swim Unless The Shore Is Nearby)

The body will actually lose heat faster if you’re exerting energy. Unless the shore, another boat, or another person are nearby, stay still and try to keep as much of your body out of the water as possible. Most people would not be able to swim a mile in water as cold as 50 degrees. Dunking your head underwater will speed up the hypothermia process.

The Heat Escape Lessening Posture (H.E.L.P.) is a good position that can help conserve energy if you’re wearing a personal flotation device — holding your arms against your sides and across your chest, and hugging your knees to your chest, will help maintain body heat for some time."
Good post for this topic :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...