New Style Lifejacket - The Hyde Wingman

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

New Style Lifejacket - The Hyde Wingman

Post by Rhino »

As the title says, a new style lifejacket is on the market - The Hyde Wingman.

Check it out in the following links:

http://www.theinertia.com/surf/this-new ... ly-genius/

http://www.hydewingman.com/new-index-1/#home
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Re: New Style Lifejacket - The Hyde Wingman

Post by Digger »

Looks good but without Australian approval it's not a goer here yet. Is there any info on that Rhino?

Price is also a factor for many of us and if $150 USD is the go then that places it over $200 AUD on face value.

Too rich for my blood if that is the case.
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Rhino »

This came through on an MSV email saying that it shows promise. No other information about Australian approval or distribution.

The post wasn't a recommendation or endorsement. Just showing what's out there, and I can't argue with your other comments Dig.
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

Rhino wrote:This came through on an MSV email saying that it shows promise. No other information about Australian approval or distribution.

The post wasn't a recommendation or endorsement. Just showing what's out there, and I can't argue with your other comments Dig.

Thanks mate.
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by Anthony »

I'd have to check into it more but from the brief research I've done it looks like the US coast guard standard might be acceptable in Australia. Life jackets can be used in Australia if they comply with the relevant Australian, European, Canadian, New Zealand or Underwriters Laboratories Standards as listed here https://wearitaustralia.com.au/lifejack ... pfd-types/.

US Coast Guard uses Underwriters Laboratories to do their testing according to this page on their website http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg5214/recpfd.asp.

The relevant Underwriters Laboratories standard is UL 1180 and is used for "Recreational Inflatable Personal Flotation Devices" by the US Coast Guard according to this page http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg5214/pfd-lights.asp. I would assume that this lifejacket would fall under the Recreational Inflatable PFD category.

It would just be a matter of sending an e-mail to the PFD manufacturer to make sure the PDF has a UL 1180 standard stamp but I would assume it does and is legal to use in Australia.
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Rhino »

Thanks Anthony.
I was reading the standards today in Schedule 1 on page 144 of the Marine Safety Regulations Act 2012 and also on page 53 of the Vic Rec Boating Safety handbook.
It doesn't appear as if they have approval yet, but are going through a process with USCG.
If they get approval from the USCG then that should make them legal in Australia, because as you pointed out, the USCG use Underwriters Laboratories for that process giving them UL 1180.
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

Personally I won't buy inflatable PFDs for kayaking anymore, too many points of failure with hooks and knives in confined spaces, fumbling to find the release cord, accidental release and you need to be concious to activate them so if you pass out for whatever reason... stroke, heart condition etc... they're useless. Also in an emergency they're effectively single use, in rough conditions you might fall off multiple times before making it to shore and once inflated they're as cumbersome as the worst PFD1 imaginable making it harder to remount or paddle a kayak. There are also servicing requirements to consider which also add to the cost of ownership, on a kayak PFDs are wet nearly all the time which leads to the gas cylinder corroding, once they show signs of corrosion they should be replaced.

I ended up buying a good quality kayaking PFD which wasn't cheap but will give me years of stress free service, it's so comfortable to wear I sometimes forget it's on and I feel safer wearing it than I ever did with my previous inflatables.
superkrusty
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Revo 13

Post by superkrusty »

Smish wrote:
I ended up buying a good quality kayaking PFD which wasn't cheap but will give me years of stress free service, it's so comfortable to wear I sometimes forget it's on and I feel safer wearing it than I ever did with my previous inflatables.
What make/model did you settle on Smish ?
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

superkrusty wrote: What make/model did you settle on Smish ?
I use a Sea to Summit Quest PFD, ticked all the boxes for me, well made, reflective tape, bright colour, good anchor points for a knife and other safety gear. It also comes with a water bladder that fits into a pocket in the back (I don't use it but it's a useful option to have.) and what I really liked about it is the way the front was designed, very clean facade, not fussy with things that can snag on the side of the kayak when you need to remount yet it has plenty of storage space. In the pictures you can see the obvious pocket on the front but underneath the flap that clips shut at the side there's more storage that's neatly out of the way, the knife sheath and other things I attach to me are also tucked under the flap.

It's a nice comfortable PFD and great value, you can get them for under $130. Keep in mind that PFDs need to suit your body shape and kayaking style, it's best to try them on before buying.

Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

Got both. Horses for courses.

Normally inflatable for dams and rivers where I probably won't need it.

My type 2 kayak style for the bays on my lonesome.

I would also expect the inflation tank to be in a waterproof pouch on this wingman
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.