handheld vhf

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Re: handheld vhf

Post by Anthony »

Not sure how many people would be interested but might be worth checking to see if we can organise a discount from someone running the course if we organise a group of people to all go at once.
R3dY@k
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Heritage RedFish 12

Post by R3dY@k »

I'd be interested in that, I'm also half way through my Foundation Amateur Radio Course through Radio & Electronics School.
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

Widsa wrote:Hi Guys,

I did my course with the Hastings Coast guard at Yaringa marina.
If you would like I will post up the details when the next one pops up.
It was 2 short sessions going over the finer points and then you send away for your license.
I would advise to do it sooner rather than later as he told us they may be changing the licence soon to one you have to renew but those who have the Marine Radio Operator licence do not have to renew.
Pay once and its valid for life.

The other handy thing and one of my main reasons for me getting the licence was so that I could apply for my MMSI (Free).
The MMSI is a unique number like a telephone number and allows you to send digital calls over VHF radio.
When you apply you put in emergency contacts numbers, vessel details and photos etc. which are all attached to your MMSI
Probably more valid for boats, I have my VHF linked to my GPS/sounder so if in distress I hit one button and it sends out an emergency call to all people who have a DSC VHF with the nature of distress and exact location.
The coastguard will then have a photo of my boat, its location, what type of distress I have with a simple one button push (2 for type of distress)
I hope I never have to use this but it is nice to have.

You can also do neat stuff like call your friend who has an MMSI and automatically get their location and switch them to your chosen frequency.
Again not that useful on a Yak but it definitely is on a boat.

Personally I got a lot more out of the course than I thought I would and recommend you take it.
It is illegal to use the VHF without a licence and improper use can have serious consequences if there is an emergency situation.
Its also nice to know there are others out there who know how to use the radio and if any of us are in trouble we can assist.

My 2 cents.

Will.
:thumbsup: Count me in, sounds worthwhile.
John 3.16/17
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

I recall finding out after I did my course that a friend is qualified to do the licence testing and course.
I will chase up with him to see if he is interested in taking a group and what costs etc are involved.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

sog wrote: While it is illegal to use a vhf unlicensed, you are allowed to use it in an emergency.
To me though, its worth getting, and I intend to do so.
Very true, I'm sorry I forgot to mention that.
I carried a vhf on my yak long before I was licenced for that reason and I wouldn't want to stop someone adding one for the fear of it being illegal.
The procedures you go over in the course will help you make an emergency call run more efficiently and hopefully result in faster response.
Also how to conduct a mayday relay and things you should and should not do so emergency services can do their thing uninterrupted.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

Widsa wrote:things you should and should not do so emergency services can do their thing uninterrupted.
yep stay of 16 and 72 people..... you should only ever transmit on those if you need help.... just in case anyone owns a radio and doesn't already know
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

hammertym wrote:
Widsa wrote:things you should and should not do so emergency services can do their thing uninterrupted.
yep stay of 16 and 72 people..... you should only ever transmit on those if you need help.... just in case anyone owns a radio and doesn't already know

16 is supposed to be kept clear, ie call and switch.
You should be on 72 for vessel to vessel.
Going from info on various forums that is probably the mostly common channel used by yakkers around the country. Its always the second channel on my dual watch.

From ACMA website:
"When calling and working with other vessels:
use channels 72, 73 or 77"
Untitled.jpg
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Widsa wrote:I recall finding out after I did my course that a friend is qualified to do the licence testing and course.
I will chase up with him to see if he is interested in taking a group and what costs etc are involved.
That would be awesome Widsa :thumbsup:
monty
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Papaya Hobie pa 14

Post by monty »

It's also worth saying that you should always use the lowest power setting possible when communicating with each other so it doesn't inter fear with any one else's communications.
I have the chart above as a sticker on my yak I got it from the ACMA stand at the FWD show but haven't been able to find it any where else .
We also use ch 72 for all yak to yak Comms :up:
Pb snapper 90cm 9.2kg. Flathead 63cm. Ting 42cm. Pike 98cm. Brown trout 54cm Toolondo. Redfin 46cm wartook.
gummy 112cm. ellie 89 cm . :yahoo:
MrTall
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: mini-x, revo, oasis

Post by MrTall »

Widsa wrote:I recall finding out after I did my course that a friend is qualified to do the licence testing and course.
AP-M wrote:Not sure how many people would be interested but might be worth checking to see if we can organise a discount from someone running the course if we organise a group of people to all go at once.
Good idea and I would be up for this.
Dave