Fog, compasses and GPS etc

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Re: Fog, compasses and GPS etc

Post by Hvalross »

Handy backup is a compass app on your Phone I have used it a couple of times in the bush when horeback riding.
Big dirty sea has nothing on pea soup fog at dusk. Damn good compass is a safety item, rather than an accessory IMHO
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

Hvalross wrote: horeback riding.
:shock: U need a compass for that :lol: :lol:
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

choppers wrote:
Hvalross wrote: horeback riding.
:shock: U need a compass for that :lol: :lol:
You ever tried hangin onto the tail through the bush.......just end up in the sh*t :up:

............and the Wombat is a pretty big stretch of Real Estate :wave1:
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Just bumping this given we are heading into fog prone conditions. Cool mornings, low wind and sunny day predictions are the indicators. Nothing worse than travelling to a launch only to find you are not equipped for potentially no visibility, and without the means to even travel in a straight line
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

laneends wrote:Just bumping this given we are heading into fog prone conditions. without the means to even travel in a straight line
or knowing which way the beach is if the fog rolls in and your still out -- for the new guys or those that haven't been caught in foggy conditions ( white out ) trust me you need some kind of instrument to find your way - even if it's only in the direction of a beach

GPS dont work if the battery goes dead same problem with a smart phone so a cheap water proof normal magnetic compass is not a waste in your safety kit - batteries don't go flat with these
of cause it's worth trying to nav a bit with said compass so you do know what to do if you have electric nav equipment fail

and by the way Keith it was worth the bump !
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Just bumping this as its that time of year again, and some newer folks may get caught out. High risk days are sunny day forecast with little wind. ie perfect kayaking days
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

Agree Keith. Cheap compass even if stash away someplace. Compass on the phone is useless. Why not just use GPS. I have my compass screwed in and visible at all times. Mainly for safety in case of fog conditions and phone GPS doesn't work. I like knowing I can head NW and land on the beach. Also useful when the land is behind you and you have no visual markers to navigate to. Keeping a bearing is great with the compass. I was out a month ago. Blanket fog with limited visibility. My father in law was on the boat and he just couldn't move. was forced to anchor and wait for the fog to lift. It was only a couple of hours but I guy I know from my old work told me a story he had to wait 7+ hours. There was no phone reception where he was. Meanwhile family at home was worried.

Also a reminder about being out in the fog. a lot of boats still seem to motor along without seeing where they are going. Listen out and i have my headtorch and another torch stashed away. Both go on strobe mode and I point to where the noise is coming from.
Last edited by vicyak on 17 May 2017, 11:46, edited 1 time in total.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

Timely post :thumbsup:
Coupla things about a compass you should also know.

Unless it has been 'swung' that is corrected for magnetic north and what the offset is currently, its likely quite inaccurate and that inaccuracy increases with distance. Better you confirm current offset required and have that written down somewhere of have a properly corrected chart available.

Fine talking about getting a taxi....that assumes one gets to shore where they are accesible. Better by far to be prepared and practiced at returning to launch site. :thumbsup:

The reciprocal is fine and dandy if : no current, no wind, and you paddle/steer true........have also come in from 17miles out to Bermie in fog and dark.......still dont like doing it....its un nerving and eerie, even with company a longish trip can start your mind playing tricks on you....be aware and ready for that too!

App and Sounder GPS can be very inaccurate in certain conditions. However, as an aid there are apps that will track your journey eg. " real time tracking" for android.......but again capable of leading one astray. Benefit is it lays down a track a person can simply retrace.....again practice is essential and remember these things can chew through battery like there is no tomorrow!
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Gps can show where you are and what direction you want go in. But it will still have zig zagging all over the place trying to stay on course. You need the immediate reaction of a compass to stay on a straight heading. Even if its ccuracy is out its not a big deal when used in conjuntion with gps.

Try paddling for 30 secs with your eyes closed and see if your still heading same direction as an experiment
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

The app draws a linear trail on the screen......its just a case of backtracking.
Compass can point due north allowing for offset... in fog sea, current and breeze even light and sound can have you on the correct heading....but on the wrong course.....if navigation were just a case of following the needle GPS and all those tech based nav aids would never have been required.

Sure if you are less than a km off Altona ....no problem. Around the corner off Point Cook and wanting to get to your launch site at Millers.....??? In 55m near Julia Percy???

Added

Two experienced anglers went out from Willie Club..straight out onto a deep snapper mark? probably only parallel to PC in reality 'bout 9am thick fog rolled in.....they had a compass and both knew the area like the back of their own hands......ran aground whilst under way other side of McAdams.

Another crew without compass used sound of traffic and hit the old Gellibrand light house.

Sea was like a mill pond on the day. Others chose to sit it out and swore they were hearing the land off their stern whilst on anchor........they were in fact all pointing out into the Bay...the tide had changed!!!

It happens just too easy.