Fog, compasses and GPS etc

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Fog, compasses and GPS etc

Post by laneends »

chunk9000 wrote:Great post Keith.

I fished Reef Island for the first time a couple of months ago. Launched under a beautiful clear blue sky and within 30 mins the fog rolled in and I had no idea of directions for the next hour. It was a calm day with no boats around so I was able to stay anchored and keep fishing but still very unnerving. Had boats been around I would have crapped myself.
First time it happened to me I was off woollies beach at Crib point. Fog came down within about 1 hour after launch and stayed there until about 1pm as i was packing up to reveal a glorious day. I did intend to head over to Middle Spit, glad I wasn't out there when I got caught ( I had no gps at the time). As it was I stayed close in moving from one marker, to the pier, to the submarine as it partially lifted. Hardly any distance at all but it felt like a long way.

Happened launching at Grantville once and compass was constantly telling me to correct to the right. When the fog lifted I was no where near where i thought I was. Instead of heading out I was heading along the shore and the tide was falling. It's bad enough getting stuck in the mud even worse if its the wrong bit of mud and on the way out.. :x
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

gus fitzroy wrote:Great post Keith.
x3 - plus it is good to hear others experiences to learn from.
cotso
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by cotso »

When I go deer hunting although I have a GPS I never rely on it 100% to work ,that's why I carry a topo map and compass. if you're using a compass make sure its away from any metal objects as it will cause it to deviate from magnetic Nth.
BAYSIDE WOOD TURNING & SELF STORAGE. New 20 foot vented shipping containers, CCTV security.24/7 access, your own main gate code and your lock. $200 per month. Ph 5981-8411
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

laneends wrote:Happened launching at Grantville once and compass was constantly telling me to correct to the right. When the fog lifted I was no where near where i thought I was. Instead of heading out I was heading along the shore and the tide was falling. It's bad enough getting stuck in the mud even worse if its the wrong bit of mud and on the way out.. :x
you need one of the compasses like Captain Jack sparrow has -- it only points to where you wont to go
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

I think if you are more than 2 nautical miles offshore you have to have a compass by law. I think it is in the regs for a human powered vessel.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

happyas wrote:I think if you are more than 2 nautical miles offshore you have to have a compass by law. I think it is in the regs for a human powered vessel.
Correct but the 2NM Offshore requirement is only for coastal waters, eg bass strait etc. Areas like PPB and WP are designated as inshore waters and there is no requirement to carry a compass.
0408 565 763
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

Great post and it is something to watch out for.
I had the same issue recently and had to navigate some skinny channels by compass as I was going too slow (due to fog) to be able to see my heading on the GPS.
I have Hydraulic steering on my boat which makes it hard to keep going in a straight line at slow speeds so this made it even more tricky.

Thankfully I have my compass on my dash and it got me out of trouble but it was unnerving when I had another boat appear out of the fog right beside me traveling up the same channel. :wtf:
Ive had the fog roll in a few times on me out of nowhere, it happens fast.
This recent patch I had was the worst I have seen, it rolled in at around 8pm and didn't lift until sunrise, it was coming through in sheets kind of like rain and I could only just see my rods.
IMAG3815.jpg
IMAG3814.jpg
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
Jay
Square eyes
kayak: 2014 Hobie Quest 13, 2015 Hobie Outback

Post by Jay »

This has interested me for a while and having being caught out in the fog once, I really should invest in one. They seem to range in price significantly. Other than the obvious size difference, what else does one look out for?

For those who have them, what did you buy, why and where is it mounted?

Although sounder with GPS is great, if battery dies you are in a bit of strife hence why I believe a compass to be more valuable in these situations.

Jay
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Fish4Fun wrote:Although sounder with GPS is great, if battery dies you are in a bit of strife hence why I believe a compass to be more valuable in these situations.

Jay
your right Jay - the batteries don't go flat in a basic magnetic compass --

I use an old divers compass that I've had for 30 odd years it is stowed on the yak - is water proof and doesn't rust
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other