Fog, compasses and GPS etc

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
R3dY@k
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Heritage RedFish 12

Re: Fog, compasses and GPS etc

Post by R3dY@k »

Just recently my local SuperCheap Auto (Essendon Store) had SCA branded compasses in the ball type about 1in diameter for less than $5, it has a crappy suction cup as it's base but could easily be siliconed somewhere on the yak. I compared it to my Garmin 72H and it tested true so will be throwing it in for my next trip.

Had a quick look and cant seem to find them online anywhere.

Ben.
Jay
Square eyes
kayak: 2014 Hobie Quest 13, 2015 Hobie Outback

Post by Jay »

Cheers Warren!

Had a brief read but will check out the whole post shortly.

:up:
Jay
Square eyes

Post by Jay »

R3dY@k wrote:Just recently my local SuperCheap Auto (Essendon Store) had SCA branded compasses in the ball type about 1in diameter for less than $5, it has a crappy suction cup as it's base but could easily be siliconed somewhere on the yak. I compared it to my Garmin 72H and it tested true so will be throwing it in for my next trip.

Had a quick look and cant seem to find them online anywhere.

Ben.
Might have to get a ball type and must whack it in the side pocket of the outback
Jay
Square eyes

Post by Jay »

I ended up getting one from Bee Cee Eff that mounted with adhesive tape. Fits pretty good in the trays on the Outback

Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

Same one I have in my boat it does the job!
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
Jay
Square eyes

Post by Jay »

Widsa wrote:Same one I have in my boat it does the job!
That's it Will! Not pretty but does the job and fits in the tray on the outback nice and snug. I'm happy
Last edited by Jay on 18 Sep 2015, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.
sog
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revolution

Post by sog »

I've been caught in fog.
Also got lost one night fishing off kirks pt ... couldn't find the ramp.
So I've been thinking about this and safety in general quite a bit lately.
I've decided to purchase a Garmin handheld GPS, a floating vhf radio, and some flares.
The GPS will not only point you the way back, its also good if you get in trouble, so you can tell someone your exact location, using the radio. They are not too expensive, and worth having I reckon.
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

sog wrote:I've been caught in fog.
I've decided to purchase a Garmin handheld GPS, a floating vhf radio, and some flares.
The GPS will not only point you the way back, its also good if you get in trouble, so you can tell someone your exact location, using the radio. They are not too expensive, and worth having I reckon.
A lot of the more expensive fish finders have GPS in them, not sure if that is an option?
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
Jay
Square eyes

Post by Jay »

sog wrote:I've been caught in fog.
Hey Andy,

Good on you for gearing up on the safety stuff. I too think it is important. Compass is a great investment. Only cost me 20 odd bucks and if batteries fail in GPS/fish finders then you know you still have the compass to at least get you headed in the right direction.

Another thing that has been discussed on the forum also that I have purchased as well as others have, is a PLB. It set me back around $350 but we'll worth it sits in my kayak pfd vest and at least I know if I am ever separated from the yak that there is some hope I may be found as the PLB is GPS enabled and will send the coordinates to the coast guard. Just a bit of peace of mind.

Cheers,

Jay
gus fitzroy
Lord of the fish
kayak: revo 13

Post by gus fitzroy »

Dust off the compass if you're heading out and you don't routinely carry them. Fog patches predicted for tomorrow...better safe than....lost in the fog...