Fog, compasses and GPS etc

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Fog, compasses and GPS etc

Post by laneends »

Just a reminder for those who have yet to experience fog. Winter mornings with a sunny forecast carry with them a high fog risk, this can be at first launch or descend quickly when on the water. Keep an eye on the horizon for fog banks, they can move quickly. Take compass bearing before visibility fails completely

Especially if you don't have GPS, and even if you do, it is easy to get disorientated, and even difficult to paddle/peddle in a straight line when all landmarks disappear (try paddling with your eyes closed for a few minutes and see if you end up going in a straight line, even with a rudder). GPS will get you back but adding a compass will avoid endless course corrections. Even a cheap back up compass will make you feel a lot safer, even then you will start to doubt it. You will also start to doubt distances travelled. Even sounds are deceptive

A compass alone will not overcome tide and wind, but it will stop you going in circles. If you are unfamiliar with an area it is easy to become very anxious, so if fog is a risk stick to where you are familiar, as much so that you know where boat traffic is likely to be. Anchoring within vision of markers etc also increases the feeling of security.

Be aware of alternative landfalls if you can't find original launch. Beach all looks the same if you can't see that landmarks beyond it. If off shore you don't want to suddenly find yourself unexpectedly in the surf zone.

Swell+fog=sea sick

Don't be afraid to call out if you see a boat looming

Keep an eye on tide direction as an additional direction indicator.

If in doubt drop anchor and stay put rather than wander off in the wrong direction

Once you get used to it the feeling can be quite serene.

Stay safe things can go from fun to scary pretty quickly in this game. Nature can be a bitch at times.
gus fitzroy
Lord of the fish
kayak: revo 13

Re: Fog, compasses and GPS etc

Post by gus fitzroy »

Great post Keith.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

gus fitzroy wrote:Great post Keith.

laneends wrote:
Especially if you don't have GPS, and even if you do, it is easy to get disorientated, and even difficult to paddle/peddle in a straight line when all landmarks disappear (try paddling with your eyes closed for a few minutes and see if you end up going in a straight line, even with a rudder). GPS will get you back but adding a compass will avoid endless course corrections. Even a cheap back up compass will make you feel a lot safer, even then you will start to doubt it. You will also start to doubt distances travelled. Even sounds are deceptive

A compass alone will not overcome tide and wind, but it will stop you going in circles. If you are unfamiliar with an area it is easy to become very anxious, so if fog is a risk stick to where you are familiar, as much so that you know where boat traffic is likely to be. Anchoring within vision of markers etc also increases the feeling of security.

Be aware of alternative landfalls if you can't find original launch. Beach all looks the same if you can't see that landmarks beyond it. If off shore you don't want to suddenly find yourself unexpectedly in the surf zone.
I think a back up compass is some thing we all should look at as our basic safety gear

I have one and have had to use it before in fog ( before I had a GPS ) it's an old Divers Compass I've owned for 30 years or more
Remember that any electrical thing can fail - dead battery - bad connections But magnetic North is all ways there

as Keith points out wind and tide may push you off your heading but most of us are fishing the bays and an example if you headed out from frankston and needed to get back it would be an easterly you need to travel , if you ended up closer to carrem or Mornington would that matter you would still be on a beach ( from there you can call a taxi )
but heading in circles or worse heading west could get you into serious trouble

I think that those that are heading off shore need to look at all the extra problems and finding a surf beach you weren't expecting still wouldn't be as bad at heading the wrong way off shore
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

Thanks Keith, great post. :thumbsup:

I discovered last year that there are two main types of fog - radiation and advection.

Radiation fog is usually associated with dead calm conditions and is fairly benign for kayaking except for visibility, advection fog is the nasty one because it's extremely thick and generates a strong breeze that can gust over 20 knots, you can barely see past the end of the yak as whitecaps start breaking all around you. Thankfully advection fog is rare on Port Phillip Bay but I got caught out last year as a massive fog bank rolled in and it went from calm to very messy in minutes.
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

I used to regularly fish offshore at Bermagui and Eden in my boat and have been caught in sudden storms that were so thick I could barely see the bow of my boat!

Other times it was fog. My compass was all I needed to get me back to the ramp safely. I came in from Berma one time using my compass and another boatie asked me how I used it to get back in. I said that I used the reciprocal heading. He said the reciprocal what???? Some people are a danger to themselves!

Good topic.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Digger wrote:I used to regularly fish offshore at Bermagui and Eden in my boat and have been caught in sudden storms that were so thick I could barely see the bow of my boat!

Other times it was fog. My compass was all I needed to get me back to the ramp safely. I came in from Berma one time using my compass and another boatie asked me how I used it to get back in. I said that I used the reciprocal heading. He said the reciprocal what???? Some people are a danger to themselves!

Good topic.
yaks are more affected by wind and tide than boats, even if only by the fact it takes longer to get from A to B. So don't under estimate that if only using a compass for navigation. Compass plus GPS is the ideal
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

laneends wrote:Just a reminder for those who have yet to experience fog. Winter mornings with a sunny forecast carry with them a high fog risk, this can be at first launch or descend quickly when on the water. Keep an eye on the horizon for fog banks, they can move quickly. Take compass bearing before visibility fails completely

Great post mate, very helpful!

I've not got a compass, I have GPS on the sounder and GPS on my phone. If in doubt I'd drop anchor I think.. Useful info though with this weekend looking like it might be exactly the conditions you were talking about.
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

Even with GPS/sounder combo on my yak, I still have a cheapish compass permanently hanging on a short cord attached to my PFD. Therefore it is always with me.
chunk9000
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Pro Fisha 525

Post by chunk9000 »

Great post Keith.

I fished Reef Island for the first time a couple of months ago. Launched under a beautiful clear blue sky and within 30 mins the fog rolled in and I had no idea of directions for the next hour. It was a calm day with no boats around so I was able to stay anchored and keep fishing but still very unnerving. Had boats been around I would have crapped myself.
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

Great topic Keith.
Iv been a newbie off coronet bay, fog rolled in and it was quite scary and disorienting. Until I herd a dog barking and I knew where shore was. Once it lifted I was around 100m from the beach!!
Compass is now on my need list
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)