Fog, compasses and GPS etc

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Re: Fog, compasses and GPS etc

Post by 4liters »

I've been caught out in the fog at Wilsons Prom once, it awesome and scary at the same time. So quiet and peaceful, even for yak fishing.

I wouldn't deliberately attempt to fish in the fog but I wouldn't be too fussed if I got caught out again either. I have a GPS on my sounder, Navionics and Google Earth on my phone, a compass and an EPIRB if I really get lost but I think next time I would simply drop the pick so I don't accidentally drift for miles, make myself as visible as possible given the conditions and fish until the fog lifts.

Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

@4litres you are obviously well prepared with layers of security, wonder how many are that well set up that dont venture offshore?
Some may even think you have gone overboard....hope they never get to experience a blanket of fog that has a person imprisoned in a cacoon as small as their craft with no vision outside that.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Loss of horizon + ocean swell=hello stomach contents.. :(
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

It can, and for me at least cause a person to question reality and the sanity of putting ones self in such a predicament.....it is BLOODY scary to have no anchor point to confirm ones orientation.
Closest I have been aside of that is jumping into a Qld river rapid and falling through into an unexpected current that swirled me around like a rag in a washing machine. Can hold my breath for ever and swim well...all that evaporated in an instant when the one essential element went missing....orientation!!!

I got very, very scared......wont do that again ever!!!
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
Outback Yak
Square eyes
kayak: Hobi outback

Post by Outback Yak »

Years ago I was up on Mt Buller skiing (well, trying to ski) when a very thick fog descended. I could barely see my boots and didn't know whether I was moving forward, sliding backwards or which way was up..... so I sat down until visibility improved :evilgrin: I can imagine being stuck on the water in similar conditions may cause a little more anxiety so being prepared is the best option :thumbsup: