Kayak Suitable Clothing, Pro's & Con's.

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Windknot
Lord of the fish
kayak: Malibu Mini X & Native Watercraft Propel

Re: Kayak Suitable Clothing, Pro's & Con's.

Post by Windknot »

Thanks for clearing that up. ;)

I wasn't being sarcastic ELM. I was being serious. My reason for buying these shorts was based partly on what you had said previously about avoiding cotton and wool clothing. The shorts are made of some very thin synthetic material, which dries very quickly. Believe me, I want to be safe out there, so I take this subject seriously.

I would much rather wear cooler clothing in the height of summer, as opposed to a wetsuit. Although I can handle a dunking, I don't want to actually practice them whilst I'm fishing in order to cool off and you would have to cool off, if you were wearing a wetsuit. I have lots of valuable gear onboard my yak which I don't particularly want to get wet, things like reels, camera and phone, for example and I could easily overturn my yak in the process of either getting into the water, or getting out of it. I will gladly wear my wetsuit whilst kayaking in the cooler months, as well as those months when the water temperatures are still quite low.

I can understand and appreciate your line of thought, but your situation is often quite different from mine. You have an extremely stable craft (AI), whereas I don't. You spent a lot of time far from shore, whereas I don't. I mostly fish in protected smaller waterways.

I don't wish to detract from your excellent thread. Your safety first approach is admirable, as it could easily safe a member's life, particularly a 'newby' who doesn't fully realise the dangers involved. :)

Mick
There's only a fine distinction between fly fishing and standing on the bank looking like an idiot.
Windknot
Lord of the fish
kayak: Malibu Mini X & Native Watercraft Propel

Post by Windknot »

Oh and by the way ... if anyone happens to be looking to buy themself a wetsuit and if you're interested in a thin 1mm, 2 piece job designed for kayaking, then Anacondas currently have their 'Seak' range at 40% off. It would be a good time to buy. ;)

Mick
There's only a fine distinction between fly fishing and standing on the bank looking like an idiot.
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

Windknot wrote:Thanks for clearing that up. ;)

I wasn't being sarcastic ELM. I was being serious.
I honestly thought you were, so apologies for taking that opinion.
Windnot wrote: I don't wish to detract from your excellent thread. Your safety first approach is admirable, as it could easily safe a member's life, particularly a 'newby' who doesn't fully realise the dangers involved. :)

Mick
Thanks, it is very important to me, and glad you feel the same way.

Some of the reasons I don't separate streams and rivers etc from open water is that a lot of those streams etc are actually a tidal estuary or have a natural water flow down hill. Now I know from personal experience how easy it is to be separated from a kayak due to strong current and the chances of getting back in contact are very slim, I also know (as I do, no make that, I have practiced) how hard it is to swim any sort of distance in a PFD. Now if you were to fall out in a strong tidal (estuary) stream the bank may only be 15 or 20 meters away but the chances of getting to it could be quite slim due to an out running tide and where would that put you then ?

Streams and rivers also tend to have a lot more snags and timber in them so I believe that a long skin snug pant will offer some protection if you were to come into contact with those snags, while also minimizing that heat loss to the water, which brings me to the last reason.

Mountain streams are generally very cold and fresh water offers less buoyancy than salt water, if you were to fall in the chances of cold shock are higher and with less buoyancy, natural current and the chance of a leg getting snagged, there is a good chance you could be pulled under, all hypothetical I know but still good enough to by in the right gear that will add a level of security under most circumstances.

Yes neoprene can get warm, even hot but if you turn and sit side saddle for a while with your legs dangling in the water (shark bait) it will cool you down and if that is not enough and you don't wish to risk tipping your kayak, you can simply bail a little water and tip it over your legs to cool them off.
The sharkskinz are also meant to be very good, don't offer the buoyancy that neoprene does, but they do minimize water flow against the skin, protect from bumps bruises and the sun. No not $5.00 shorts, they do cost a bit but then again, it's not often you find cheap "good" insurance ;) .
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

ELM wrote:The sharkskinz are also meant to be very good, don't offer the buoyancy that neoprene does, but they do minimize water flow against the skin
I have read and also been told that sharkskins help keep you cool on a warmish day so with that in mind I will keep wearing them as the season gets warmer
mob 0423 492 759
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

As I have said before, I have not tried the sharkskinz and am definitely interested to here more about them in both cold and warm weather scenario's. Their pro's, con's and recommendations from those use them.
Haynsie, babylon and cruiser, how about opening a new thread or add to this one with a breakdown on there performance and under water conditions. With three separate opinions it would make for some good feedback.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

CrazyChenski
Lord of the fish
kayak: Clarkeski Dusta

Post by CrazyChenski »

BUMP

Thought that I bump this to raise awareness for up coming winter season........
Fishing is just like Accounting .... it is all about Optical Illusion ...............
Marrie
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hurricane - Santee 100

Post by Marrie »

Great post there! Loads of information. Thank you, it helps.
Wannabe Fisherman
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

Post by Wannabe Fisherman »

http://www.youtube.com/KayakFishingVids - Currently a work in progress
Ph. 0425 86 30 67
HaTTerS
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: None (temporarily)

Post by HaTTerS »

thread now a sticky
Poised on the edge of sanity.
Wannabe Fisherman
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

Post by Wannabe Fisherman »

Great idea hatters, especially with the colder months coming. I need to start shopping :down:
http://www.youtube.com/KayakFishingVids - Currently a work in progress
Ph. 0425 86 30 67