Kayak Suitable Clothing, Pro's & Con's.

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Re: Kayak Suitable Clothing, Pro's & Con's.

Post by vicyak »

Same as Shane. I use the cycling long tights in summer and winter. never had a sore bum and I never get cold or hot. You can also get triathlon versions which have smaller padding as they are designed so you can run in them but still offer some protection.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Cheater wrote: I was going to chat to the guys that build my waders to see if they would do a set of neoprene waste waders with a neoprene seal around the top like kayak dry pants but with the mild winter this year I didn't get around to it

maybe by next Winter
last Saturday I dropped off my waders for a repair ( one foot was getting wet - so a repair to the sock on that side ) while I was there I showed them what I wonted in a Neoprene kayak pants - it wont be a problem getting a soft band around the top of a set of waste waders to seal the pants like any other kayak pants ( Lovigs or Kokadat )

I told them I'll drop in to be measured and order a set after Xmas

my Neoprene waders are now around 6 year old and have had the odd repair they have always sealed pretty well if not any holes have been repairable and are a lot warmer than other pants I have used
Last edited by cheaterparts on 06 Dec 2018, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

Same Steve. I use stocking foot waders with a wading belt. They are a breathable waterproof material. I have inadvertently gone ass over in them and hardly got a drop inside. Plus, they are very light weight, particularly since they don't have a boot attached. I don't think they would weigh more than half a kilo.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

laneends wrote:
shane wrote:. If you have wet cotton against the skin you will soon develop jock rash/baboon arse. .
Noticed Aldis were recently selling marino jocks, not cheap but considered trying them.

Cant be too toastie on these cold damp days.
I bought marino thermals from katmandu and merino track pants from aldi, merino is definitely warmer than synthetic, and i haven't had any rash/sore ass/balls and ive done some big trips in them, not so good when the sun comes up though lol

The new dry pants seem good, however my feet do get wet although this could be from perspiration, later next year i might buy a pair of waterproof socks, as im allergic to the cold as the day warms i have to peel of quite a lot of clothing, this over fills my box, maybe i should take a dry bag for them ;) i also have the lovig spray top this hardly gets used, mainly when it rains.

My biggest problem is cold hands in winter at night, i have fishing gloves but they are quite thin and don't keep my hands warm, are the a good pair anyone can recommend?
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
isportfish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Revo

Post by isportfish »

peatop wrote:My biggest problem is cold hands in winter at night, i have fishing gloves but they are quite thin and don't keep my hands warm, are the a good pair anyone can recommend?
https://seatosummitusa.com/products/sol ... dle-gloves
These are what I use and they do the job.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

They would sure keep your hands warm but how are they with hooks, bait and fish?
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
NYAngler
kayak: Intex

Post by NYAngler »

Thanks for sharing. The post is very informative. According to my experience, Thermal T is great. Moreover, a Cotton shirt is best for the sun.
vernonbain
kayak: Next Gen 11

Post by vernonbain »

Thanks ELM, those are very useful information for my next kayaking trip. Cheers! :thumbsup:
11 Verrell St, Wetherill Park, NSW 2164, Australia
Website: https://www.kayaks2fish.com/sydney/doub ... em-kayaks/