Thinking of selling my Yak due to Safety

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
fatyakker
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

Thinking of selling my Yak due to Safety

Post by fatyakker »

So... I have a Hobie PA... been Yaking for about4 years, not much in the last 12 months since mving to melbourne for work...

Plenty in Sydney and surrounds including the harbour... never felt unsafe never tipped up, always have safety gear ... I have practiced tipping and getting back on and it was a struggle (see user name :()

I am a good swimmer and in youth did race for a while and surfed most of my teens... but again see user name now..... :?

So my issue is when yakking before the water temps we never even in the low / mid teens more like 19 - 23.. if I did come off I would not freeze.

The water here is cold and I dont have a wetsuit (dont make my size) i keep seeing fit guys getting killed on Yaks in the Bay / rivers.

Maybe time for a boat..... Thoughts?
sawtell
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Sport

Re: Thinking of selling my Yak due to Safety

Post by sawtell »

As much as there is advice on safety all over the forum and other kayak forums.
Much of safety can not be taught by reading, a lot of kayak safety comes down to common sense and risk perception.
Knowing how to read weather, knowing your ability, watching currents etc etc, and probaly in my eyes one of the biggest aspects to safety is fitness.

If you feel as if you do not have the ability/fitness to right your kayak if you were to flip by your self maybe you shouldn't be kayaking.

Personally I would never do sometning on the water unless I knew I had the ability to get MY SELF out of danger, you can not rely on others to assist you...
Have you practiced flipping your kayak and getting back onto it?

Let's face it, any water sport can be dangerous. Us humans have never really mastered the whole breath under water trick!
But it's all about managing the risks, like every thing in life.

But ey, the waters not that cold here in summer! Bay temps up in the 20's now, balmy! It's the 10degree winter temps you have to watch out for haha
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

Nobody can tell you when it's the right time Mick. Only you know when that is!

However if you feel that you mightn't be able to re-enter or be in trouble if you fall out, then it's something that needs a lot of thought. There is no shame in it if you do decide to move away to something where you feel more secure, in fact in my mind you would simply be showing common sense. Still not trying to push you in that direction....just sayin'.

I'm 67 and have a number of health issues. Whilst we loved our yaks I found myself getting into situations that I may not have been able to get myself out of, and worse, taking my mate with me! Very reluctantly I made the decision and sold our Outbacks. We still miss them but the tinny I bought with the money isn't a bad distraction.

I can handle the launch and retrieve myself so can go fishing pretty much when I want to. The ramps down here are free and as I'm retired I don't have to launch when it's busy as that is the downside of a boat! Busy ramps. That may be a different situation for you.

On the other hand I can have the boat in the water in 5 minutes from arriving on the ramp, and not much more in the retrieve. Everything is in the boat....no set up! I can be at the other end of the Mallacoota system in 15 minutes.

It's a difficult decision Mick and I'm sure that whatever you decide will be right for you.

Good luck.
fatyakker
Apprentice

Post by fatyakker »

Yes Sawtell I think you hit a few of the main points... it is the fitness.
I can swim , I can float with out a vest I have a vest.. for me it is the cold... not being able to get out / back on hte yak and no wetsuit is a real risk.... I could stick rivers I guess.. and that suits my fising style...

I will pick warmer day, full suit up and tip the girl again, if a cannot get back on... might be time
1. to go on a diet. :oops: :shifty: .(doing now already) and
2. sell the Yak till I lose weight and earn it back......

Mick
fatyakker
Apprentice

Post by fatyakker »

I think it also has to do with the fact I grew up in thoes waters, I know them I know the tides the currents and can tell the weather changes.. here it is all new to me..
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

The yak is a good way of losing weight if you work it hard enough. Stick to flat inland rivers and lakes and have the best of both, lose weight and keep the yak.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
fatyakker
Apprentice

Post by fatyakker »

Best day on my yak I have covered 10 km... so that must burn a few Kj

Also could tell the Mrs... no dear not fishing... going for exercise......Image
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Good thing about a paddle yak is it keeps my upper body and core muscle strength up. All helps when climbing back on board
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

If the cold is the other main factor (other than fitness) It may be a case of getting the right gear to counter act it. I understand that you may not be able to get a wetsuit off the shelf at anaconda or where ever but before giving up a sport you love, have you looked into getting a suit made? I know people that have had gear made/altered locally bu oceansuits (no affiliation) and had great things to say about them. It can't hurt to call.
http://www.oceansuits.com.au/httpwww-oc ... -wetsuits/
fatyakker
Apprentice

Post by fatyakker »

FishnDive wrote:If the cold is the other main factor (other than fitness) It may be a case of getting the right gear to counter act it. I understand that you may not be able to get a wetsuit off the shelf at anaconda or where ever but before giving up a sport you love, have you looked into getting a suit made? I know people that have had gear made/altered locally bu oceansuits (no affiliation) and had great things to say about them. It can't hurt to call.
http://www.oceansuits.com.au/httpwww-oc ... -wetsuits/
Thanks FnD.. Just called, not even that dear for a custom in my size...... feeling safer... :yahoo:
No to practise tipping I wonder if the local pool..... Had my own pool in sydney....