Kokatat Tempest Pants with socks. Wearing them correctly.

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
HaTTerS
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: None (temporarily)

Re: Kokatat Tempest Pants with socks. Wearing them correctly

Post by HaTTerS »

maverick wrote:Did you mention the dust remover for clearing the :lol: dust off your yak and the clothing haTTers? Been a while since it has seen water.
:lol:
I don't report every trip on here ;)
Poised on the edge of sanity.
wixy
kayak: Ocean Kayak Prowler Elite 4.1

Post by wixy »

Anyone know where the Kokatat pants can be bought in Melb?
cheaterparts
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

wixy wrote:Anyone know where the Kokatat pants can be bought in Melb?
as it's your first post you may not have seen the search button in the right hand top of the page
I'm sure a bit of a search here will find you the info

I dont use them myself but I'm sure that most if not all of the Hobie dealers carry them
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
MattJC
Apprentice
kayak: Riot Escape 12 Angler

Post by MattJC »

Hi guys, just a question about the Tempest parts with socks sizing. I'm 175cm, 32" waist and 78kg. I just spoke to Keith at AK&S and returning them if the are the wrong size is not an issue but I thought others might be curious too. Obviously it would be better to try them on but both AK&S and SLH are a bit out of the way for me. Cheers.
HaTTerS
kayak: None (temporarily)

Post by HaTTerS »

MattJC wrote:Hi guys, just a question about the Tempest parts with socks sizing. I'm 175cm, 32" waist and 78kg. I just spoke to Keith at AK&S and returning them if the are the wrong size is not an issue but I thought others might be curious too. Obviously it would be better to try them on but both AK&S and SLH are a bit out of the way for me. Cheers.
I'm almost exactly the same stats as you and I bought the Medium size. They are plenty big enough.
I'm about 176cm (I think) 33" waist (32" when I bought them :oops: ) and 68Kg (63ish when I bought them).
Poised on the edge of sanity.
MattJC
Apprentice
kayak: Riot Escape 12 Angler

Post by MattJC »

HaTTerS wrote:
MattJC wrote:Hi guys, just a question about the Tempest parts with socks sizing. I'm 175cm, 32" waist and 78kg. I just spoke to Keith at AK&S and returning them if the are the wrong size is not an issue but I thought others might be curious too. Obviously it would be better to try them on but both AK&S and SLH are a bit out of the way for me. Cheers.
I'm almost exactly the same stats as you and I bought the Medium size. They are plenty big enough.
I'm about 176cm (I think) 33" waist (32" when I bought them :oops: ) and 68Kg (63ish when I bought them).
Cheers Hatters.
Patroller
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Patroller »

wixy wrote:Anyone know where the Kokatat pants can be bought in Melb?
A Hobie dealer or a sailing supplies shop should be able to help you.
I thought I got a bite...........but it was just a bit of weed.
tonystott
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Tandem Island

Post by tonystott »

hurring wrote:Thanks Hatters,
Something I didn't even think about. It had concerned me they would fill with water, I will keep this in mind next time I head out.
The air in them is also a very good point, you could end up floating feet to the surface and that is a lot of air to fight to bring your head up above the water.

Adrian
Sorry, but I must speak up. This idea that a person will finish up "tombstoning" (eg feet up) due to air in their waders is a total furphy! The idea of needing to carry a knife to prevent the deadly problem is so unnecessary as to be laughable. How will they fill up and send you to the bottom? - I am not aware of any law of physics that makes water sink in water, last I heard, there is only the one density of wazter (unless we are talking about well below the surface). I also do not believe it is critical to have some kind of hydraulic seal at the wasteband (which then needs some "gymnastics" to expel excess air from the pants). If the belt is a firm fit, it will do its job of keeping huge volumes of water out (not that there is any reason for huge volumes of water to enter in the first place) while allowing water pressure to compress the pant and allow air to seep out past the belt. (you can see the result in the video).

There are innumerable videos which dispel the total myth of deadly waders (unless thinking of ye olde worldy rubberized jobs).
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYwG52p4yjs[/youtube]

PS. My waders are Caddis breathable ones, and I HAVE SWUM in mine, without the slighted problem. Of course I wear a PFD when in my kayak, whether or not I am wearing the waders....
2012 Hobie Tandem Island
"SIC EM"
cheaterparts
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

tonystott wrote: There are innumerable videos which dispel the total myth of deadly waders (unless thinking of ye olde worldy rubberized jobs).

PS. My waders are Caddis breathable ones, and I HAVE SWUM in mine, without the slighted problem. Of course I wear a PFD when in my kayak, whether or not I am wearing the waders....
about the only problem I see with waders is if a lot of water gets in them it may make it harder to re enter the yak but I agree with you and wear Neophene cheast waders ( they float about the same as a 5 mm wet suit )
but with a wading belt and a paddling jacket + of cause a PFD there is a bit of time to get back on before to much water enters

waders have come a long way since the old heavy rubber jobs that didn't float
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

tonystott wrote:
hurring wrote:Thanks Hatters,
Something I didn't even think about. It had concerned me they would fill with water, I will keep this in mind next time I head out.
The air in them is also a very good point, you could end up floating feet to the surface and that is a lot of air to fight to bring your head up above the water.

Adrian
Sorry, but I must speak up. This idea that a person will finish up "tombstoning" (eg feet up) due to air in their waders is a total furphy! The idea of needing to carry a knife to prevent the deadly problem is so unnecessary as to be laughable. How will they fill up and send you to the bottom? - I am not aware of any law of physics that makes water sink in water, last I heard, there is only the one density of wazter (unless we are talking about well below the surface). I also do not believe it is critical to have some kind of hydraulic seal at the wasteband (which then needs some "gymnastics" to expel excess air from the pants). If the belt is a firm fit, it will do its job of keeping huge volumes of water out (not that there is any reason for huge volumes of water to enter in the first place) while allowing water pressure to compress the pant and allow air to seep out past the belt. (you can see the result in the video).

There are innumerable videos which dispel the total myth of deadly waders (unless thinking of ye olde worldy rubberized jobs).
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYwG52p4yjs[/youtube]

You can laugh all you like but where I fish around Lorne depending on the state of the tide the current gets strong and by strong I mean you will not swim against it ,if I ever end up in the drink down there in a bad situation and cutting out the bottom of the waders will tip the scales in my favour then so be it ,I have done enough ocean swim comps to know is there a hell of a difference between slopping around in a pool in waders as opposed to the ocean
mob 0423 492 759