Kokatat Tempest Pants with socks. Wearing them correctly.

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
HaTTerS
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: None (temporarily)

Kokatat Tempest Pants with socks. Wearing them correctly.

Post by HaTTerS »

Kokatat Tempest Pants with socks are a great product, but they need to be worn correctly to avoid them becoming a potential hazard if you capsize and end up in the water.
The Neoprene waistband with adjustable “hook & loop” tabs needs to seal against your skin as tightly as comfort allows.
Do NOT have any other layers between your skin and the Neoprene seal.
If you tuck (for example) your tshirt into the waistband, it will act as a wick and draw water inside the pants.

Another quick tip: Once you get the pants on and sealed correctly, break the seal with a few fingers (e.g. pull the Neoprene waistband away from your stomach so air can get in/out) then crouch down keeping your legs together, so you are basically putting your butt on the back of your ankles. Once you are in the crouch position, let go of the Neoprene seal then stand up. This will squish excess air out of the pants.
Poised on the edge of sanity.
Kingo
Lord of the fish
kayak: Olive Hobie Pro Angler 12

Re: Kokatat Tempest Pants with socks. Wearing them correctly

Post by Kingo »

Wise words there hatters :up:
JägerMarty
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outback 2015

Post by JägerMarty »

Which places stock these pants? Might be time to check 'em out
Bozzie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Dune Pro Angler

Post by Bozzie »

JägerMarty wrote:Which places stock these pants? Might be time to check 'em out
Search found 112 matches: kokatat
The Rubai-Yak of Hobie Khayyam
Mob: 0409234439

cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

Some good info there Hatters :up: thanks for that ,one thing I carry when wearing my kokatats is a very sharp knife in my jacket pocket ,if it really went pearshaped I would not hesitate cutting out the feet to let water escape
mob 0423 492 759
Pog
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Yellow Hobie PA 12

Post by Pog »

HaTTerS wrote:Kokatat Tempest Pants with socks are a great product, but they need to be worn correctly to avoid them becoming a potential hazard if you capsize and end up in the water.
The Neoprene waistband with adjustable “hook & loop” tabs needs to seal against your skin as tightly as comfort allows.
If you tuck (for example) your tshirt into the waistband, it will act as a wick and draw water inside the pants.

Another quick tip: Once you get the pants on and sealed correctly, break the seal with a few fingers (e.g. pull the Neoprene waistband away from your stomach so air can get in/out) then crouch down keeping your legs together, so you are basically putting your butt on the back of your ankles. Once you are in the crouch position, let go of the Neoprene seal then stand up. This will squish excess air out of the pants.
'HaTTers', some very interesting and valuable info you have posted here, and it is much appreciated. I have ALWAYS tucked my other garments into the waistband, and never gave 'wicking' a second thought.

Will now have to 're-arrange' my other clothing to suit. By the way, what type of garment do you wear under the 'Kokotats'?

Cheers,

"Pog"
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

Pog wrote:
HaTTerS wrote:Kokatat Tempest Pants with socks are a great product, but they need to be worn correctly to avoid them becoming a potential hazard if you capsize and end up in the water.

'HaTTers', some very interesting and valuable info you have posted here, and it is much appreciated. I have ALWAYS tucked my other garments into the waistband, and never gave 'wicking' a second thought.

Will now have to 're-arrange' my other clothing to suit. By the way, what type of garment do you wear under the 'Kokotats'?

Cheers,

"Pog"
ssss.jpg
ssss.jpg (6.48 KiB) Viewed 9799 times
:laughing1: :mrgreen:
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
hurring
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2016 Hobie Oasis (olive)

Post by hurring »

Thanks Hatters,
Something I didn't even think about. It had concerned me they would fill with water, I will keep this in mind next time I head out.
The air in them is also a very good point, you could end up floating feet to the surface and that is a lot of air to fight to bring your head up above the water.

Adrian
HaTTerS
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: None (temporarily)

Post by HaTTerS »

cruiser wrote:Some good info there Hatters :up: thanks for that ,one thing I carry when wearing my kokatats is a very sharp knife in my jacket pocket ,if it really went pearshaped I would not hesitate cutting out the feet to let water escape
No worries.
Good stuff. It's very wise to have a sharp knife on you.
Because I overkill everything, I carry two. One on the life jacket and one on my leg. The life jacket one never gets used for anything else, so it stays sharp and ready for an emergency.
Pog wrote:'HaTTerS', some very interesting and valuable info you have posted here, and it is much appreciated. I have ALWAYS tucked my other garments into the waistband, and never gave 'wicking' a second thought.

Cheers,

"Pog"
I listed my kayak clothing here:
http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... 00#p120800
Poised on the edge of sanity.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Did you mention the dust remover for clearing the :lol: dust off your yak and the clothing haTTers? Been a while since it has seen water.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.