Some Melbourne shore dives

Into yak based Diving? Talk about it here!
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Re: Dived Rye Pier Saturday night

Post by Jacko »

Those colours are vibrant under the lights.
Night dives are always good, the fish seem to be a lot slower as if they are asleep.
Nice pics & nice videos. Thanks for posting

I have just upgraded my regs & BC and had my wet suit sent in to be refitted (taken out coz it shrunk :?: :up: )
Looking forward to getting wet when my wetsuit come back.
Post a trip & I will try to join you.
yakhangger
Lord of the fish
kayak: cool kayak, Hobie Outback !! Adventure Island

Post by yakhangger »

SurfanFish wrote:There were 2 other groups that went ahead of us. A small group on their training dive and another large group who looked to be a guided tour. The second group crashed through us and I lost my buddy for a while, but no drama, we dived to the plan and hooked up again.

I always found diving at night fairly special, now with cameras affordable will do more. Probably doing another towards the end of March with a guy who couldn't make it the other night. You'd be welcome to come along.
Keep us updated mate...would love to join you if I can get away :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

But then again just remembered I'm have my hernia fixed on the 16th so no I won't be able to make :cry: :cry:
PB Frog 490mm Squid 395mm Gummy 1080mm Bream 295mm Snook 589mm Leather Jacket 340mm Snapper 540mm Barracouta 635mm Garfish 430mm Rainbow Trout 340mm Cuttlefish 210mm Salmon 370mm Banjo 935mm Elephant 810mm Ghurkin fish 230mm Port Jackson 700mm Blue T Wrasse 490mm
SurfanFish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: dorado, espri

Post by SurfanFish »

Gents, we'll make a few dives happen over time. I qualified in the early 80s and have come and gone a number of times from a diving perspective as many of us do. One of the biggest problems you find when you do this is you have to find new dive partners every time you pop up from the wilderness.

As an aside, Jacko what did you upgrade your regs to? I had my old gear serviced and it is fine but over the course of the year will upgrade my gauges to something more compact and will replace my current 2nd stage (it's a pretty good servo assisted job but has always been a wet breather). I still really like my old ScubaPro 'rocking chair' BCD so don't need to change that. I have the nice problem of having shrunk a bit myself since a lifestyle change 18 months ago so was pleasantly surprised to find my old wetsuits which are still in good nick, now fit me.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
Jacko
Lord of the fish

Post by Jacko »

SurfanFish wrote:
As an aside, Jacko what did you upgrade your regs to? .
I went with the Oceanic GTX CDX5 with the Alpha 9 ocy & Veo 1.0 Navcon computer with pressure gauge and compass on a swivel mount.
They were part of the Oceanic Flex package which most shops at the moment offer a 30% off RRP deal on.
SurfanFish wrote: I really like my old ScubaPro 'rocking chair' BCD so don't need to change that.
I really liked my old Scubapro BCD too. It was an ex SCUBA school one I have had since 1985 but it is wearing at the seams and the edges, also the rubber where the CO2 cartridge trigger used to insert is starting to perish.
I upgraded to the Oceanic Probe HLC BCD. I am going to have to get used to the new straps & adjustments, the different positions for bouyancy and the integrated weights.
Jacko
Lord of the fish

Post by Jacko »

yakhangger wrote:I'm have my hernia fixed on the 16th so no I won't be able to make :cry: :cry:
All the best for a speedy recovery Merv.
yakhangger
Lord of the fish

Post by yakhangger »

Jacko wrote:
yakhangger wrote:I'm have my hernia fixed on the 16th so no I won't be able to make :cry: :cry:
All the best for a speedy recovery Merv.
Cheers Jacko
PB Frog 490mm Squid 395mm Gummy 1080mm Bream 295mm Snook 589mm Leather Jacket 340mm Snapper 540mm Barracouta 635mm Garfish 430mm Rainbow Trout 340mm Cuttlefish 210mm Salmon 370mm Banjo 935mm Elephant 810mm Ghurkin fish 230mm Port Jackson 700mm Blue T Wrasse 490mm
SurfanFish
Qualified Fish Monger

Re: Dived Rye Pier Saturday night - comparison video added

Post by SurfanFish »

Jacko wrote:
SurfanFish wrote:
As an aside, Jacko what did you upgrade your regs to? .
I went with the Oceanic GTX CDX5 with the Alpha 9 ocy & Veo 1.0 Navcon computer with pressure gauge and compass on a swivel mount.
They were part of the Oceanic Flex package which most shops at the moment offer a 30% off RRP deal on.
I've seen those deals Jacko. Looks rock solid and reliable.

Comparison video now added. Probably taken 2 hours after Merv's footage. Not sure how it uploaded, only have a mobile allocation at present so on a ration. Hopefully watchable. Looked okay on the laptop.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
yakhangger
Lord of the fish

Re: Dived Rye Pier Saturday night - video added.

Post by yakhangger »

Looks great mate...still a bit of life around..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

Thanks Rob , I enjoyed that!
SurfanFish
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by SurfanFish »

Digger wrote:Thanks Rob , I enjoyed that!
Another one you might like Digger.

http://vimeo.com/126672871