What SCUBA gear do yak divers have/use

Into yak based Diving? Talk about it here!
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

What SCUBA gear do yak divers have/use

Post by Jacko »

Thought I'd start up a new topic for yak divers to post about their gear.
Mine is oceanic reg, apollo ocy, scubapro BC, 7mm prosuit. One 88 and one 63 cubic foot Alloy tank that can no longer be tested or filled.
I've also got an old Fenzy and Fenzy bottle BC which is probably now considered vintage.
Today my new Faber 10.5 litre 75 cubic foot steel tank arrived from WA and I will pick it up on the week end.
Interested to hear what size tanks yak divers in Vic use and whether anyone uses BCs with integrated weights in stead of a weight belt.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: What SCUBA gear do yak divers have/use

Post by maverick »

Scuba Pro 5mm semi dry and I can rug up underneath during winter if I need to, US Divers regs and BC with a separate weight belt. Mates have used integrated belts before and were not a huge fan but each to their own. Got 3 steel 90's of which 2 are still on Flinders Island. :roll:

I swap wights a bit if I am diving during summer or else going for a snorkel, so an integrated belt wouldn't work for me.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

I looked at one of these a few weeks ago, but the costs was about $2k - perfect for a yak but max depth is only 12metres.
http://www.powerdive.com/power-dive-units
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
yakhangger
Lord of the fish
kayak: cool kayak, Hobie Outback !! Adventure Island

Post by yakhangger »

I have a Sea Quest B.C with weight pockets but after my last dive on the weekend and one of the pockets falling out :oops: :oops: I am going to try a weight belt.
I have a Sea hornet occy and a Sherwood magnum main
5mm Sonar wetty with hood and gloves
I have a 7ltr tank which I am borrowing but have just brought a 10.5 which I hope to pick up either this weekend or next. (thanks two bob)
Did you get your tank off ebay Jacko :?: ...I was looking at some the same when I was looking for mine
I am yet to dive off the yak and plan on doing a bit of practice in close just to work out how to go about it, getting the gear on and off etc but look forward to getting out there and getting wet.
PB Frog 490mm Squid 395mm Gummy 1080mm Bream 295mm Snook 589mm Leather Jacket 340mm Snapper 540mm Barracouta 635mm Garfish 430mm Rainbow Trout 340mm Cuttlefish 210mm Salmon 370mm Banjo 935mm Elephant 810mm Ghurkin fish 230mm Port Jackson 700mm Blue T Wrasse 490mm
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

"Did you get your tank off ebay Jacko"

Hi Merv,
I watched some on ebay and lost a few bids for Melbourne metro local pick up before deciding to buy a new one.
Got mine from SCUBALIFE Hallum, AKA Dive Gear Australia, Hallum is closest large dive shop close to me.
Tank arrived from their supplier in WA on Wednesday. I pick it up tomorrow.
(Your tank probably came over on the same truck as mine)
Rob.
yakhangger
Lord of the fish

Post by yakhangger »

Jacko wrote:"Did you get your tank off ebay Jacko"

Hi Merv,
I watched some on ebay and lost a few bids for Melbourne metro local pick up before deciding to buy a new one.
Got mine from SCUBALIFE Hallum, AKA Dive Gear Australia, Hallum is closest large dive shop close to me.
Tank arrived from their supplier in WA on Wednesday. I pick it up tomorrow.
(Your tank probably came over on the same truck as mine)
Rob.
Ok Rob..I work in Hallum so might have to check out this dive shop you talk of. I got my tank second hand from two bob on the forum, he's down Mornington way
PB Frog 490mm Squid 395mm Gummy 1080mm Bream 295mm Snook 589mm Leather Jacket 340mm Snapper 540mm Barracouta 635mm Garfish 430mm Rainbow Trout 340mm Cuttlefish 210mm Salmon 370mm Banjo 935mm Elephant 810mm Ghurkin fish 230mm Port Jackson 700mm Blue T Wrasse 490mm
CrazyChenski
Lord of the fish
kayak: Clarkeski Dusta

Post by CrazyChenski »

Ok. I am keen to try get back into scuba diving when water warms up a bit ...... Might slowly stock up on gears over the winter..... this Tropic diver will not be able to handle cold melbourne water !
Fishing is just like Accounting .... it is all about Optical Illusion ...............
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

When I started diving there were no wetsuits available and I had to mail order one from England. There was no lining, no zips, and you sprinkled unscented talcum powder on the inside so it would slip on.

As far as SCUBA gear was concerned there were only 2 or 3 brands available, one of which might only have been available to the police and navy...too far back to remember.

We didn't need a certification to use the gear though I did a course and qualified with a dive at Mt Martha on my 14th birthday.

Coming from such free and unregulated times the current requirements see restrictive to me, though probably not to those of you that are used to things the way they are.
CrazyChenski
Lord of the fish
kayak: Clarkeski Dusta

Post by CrazyChenski »

Although I am PADI advance open water certified, I don't believe you need to be certified to use those equipment. Instead, it is the the diving operators would like to see you are certified before they take you on, for their insurance purposes.

If you doing DIY diving trips, There is no regulation or restriction to stop people buying diving equipment just because they are not certified.
Fishing is just like Accounting .... it is all about Optical Illusion ...............
yakhangger
Lord of the fish

Post by yakhangger »

I'm pretty sure though that you won't get your tank filled if you don't have a card to say your qualified, could be wrong,