Fixing my first attempt at 360 (Port Mac SBT)

A forum for member's kayak or fishing related videos
Jordo
Square eyes
kayak: AI

Fixing my first attempt at 360 (Port Mac SBT)

Post by Jordo »

As some of you may have seen, I have figured out how to make and upload 360 videos. This wasn't always the case, of course. My first attempt was a complete failure (some of you might remember). Now, 18 months down the track, I've been able to rectify that failure.

So a bit of back story behind how this video originally fell apart if you're interested:
I discovered 360 videos and started looking into them. The plan was to live stream in 360 an SBT capture so that people could share my excitement in real time! An awesome thought... The only camera in my price range capable of doing this at the time was the insta air 360, a camera that attached to my phones charging terminal. To mount this on the kayak I made a plastic cross that I attached to my fishfinder sun cover which could hold a cheap phone holder designed to sit on car air vents. I then had the phone, with camera attached, in a sandwich bag in the holder to protect them from the saltwater (as neither the phone nor camera were waterproof). As you can see in the video this setup led to a nice big blur right in a prime area of the shot.

The next issue was figuring out how to live stream. I planned to live stream to Facebook as it seemed easier at the time and more likely that my friends would see it in time. I could then upload the video to Youtube later. I did a practice live stream with privacy settings set so that just I could see it, and it seemed to work okay in my lounge room. The problems came when I forgot to change the settings back to public and when the phone reception got sketchy out offshore... I got this video of my first tuna for the day and in poor reception live streamed a glitchy 360 video of it to Facebook, where only I could view it... (FAIL). I then caught another couple of tuna further out where the reception completely failed me and I couldn't video at all.

Later, back in at shore, I realised my privacy setting mistake and rectified it, but it sort of defeated the purpose by that stage. On Facebook the video did turn out in 360 degrees. But, when uploading to Youtube I couldn't get it to work. It just came out as a 360 panoramic video, which looks horrible! And that led me to giving up on 360 videos for a good 15 months. Now that I have a bit more knowledge about 360 videos, I knew exactly where I went wrong and set about fixing the video. It took me only 15 minutes to download the video, inject metadata, and re-upload. This time the video is working properly as a 360 video. It was very satisfying to come back and fix this video on Youtube, after the original failure was so demorelizing.
Time spent in the ocean is time spent living.
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Re: Fixing my first attempt at 360 (Port Mac SBT)

Post by Reeling »

A taste of what's to come... Although I'd much rather be on the water with you watching it unfold in person :evilgrin:
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
Jordo
Square eyes
kayak: AI

Re: Fixing my first attempt at 360 (Port Mac SBT)

Post by Jordo »

Reeling wrote:A taste of what's to come... Although I'd much rather be on the water with you watching it unfold in person :evilgrin:
I agree, hopefully that will be the case with both of us catching a few this coming season
Time spent in the ocean is time spent living.