Windpaddle Sails - Any thoughts?

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
grt1
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: orange kingfisher, red 2014 Revo11

Re: Windpaddle Sails - Any thoughts?

Post by grt1 »

Shane, thanks for the info will have to look into this more for sure.
Geoff
0409 233 445
Zvejys
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Native Mariner 12.5 Propel

Windpaddle Sail on Native Mariner

Post by Zvejys »

I got the bigger windpaddle sail a couple of weeks ago and have had only a couple of plays with it.
The first time on a relatively still afternoon I had to wait for the wind to pick up and couldnt fold it back completely.
When the breeze picked up it cruised well, easy to handle and steer.
Second time I trolled for fun into a nice breeze, turned around and the evening seabreeze almost died.
Just a slight push is time as i put the cord behind my neck to keep hands free trolling.
Still experimenting / testing but looks like an easy downwind option.
Barracouta 55cm, Leatherjacket 40cm, Snook 80cm, Trout 60cm, Redfin 35cm, Flathead 49cm, Gummy 95cm, Silver Trevally 25cm, Squid 33cm, Austr. Salmon 52cm, Snapper 67cm
cotso
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by cotso »

They look like a bucket load of fun.would love to see some video of one in use.if you used your brains(seacraft) you really could extend your fishing range.
BAYSIDE WOOD TURNING & SELF STORAGE. New 20 foot vented shipping containers, CCTV security.24/7 access, your own main gate code and your lock. $200 per month. Ph 5981-8411
grt1
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by grt1 »

I also got the larger one of the 2 just after my last post but have not had a chance to use it yet
Geoff
0409 233 445
grt1
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by grt1 »

Well after getting the windpaddle back in july I finally had a chance to give it a try. I was out off frankston and only went out for a quick paddle, took the squid rod with me a looking at the wind direction decided to clip the sail on just incase. Any way paddled over to olivers hill and flicked the squid jig around for a short time and then decided to head back. On the way back the wind was coming from behind so why not try the sail, with a 5-10 knt wind the kingy was avaeraging 5-5.5kms and with a couple of larger gusts it was up to 6.5km. All in all a nice easy way to get back to the beach and I will have to take it out more often.
Attachments
P1000571.1.jpg
Geoff
0409 233 445
Zvejys
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Native Mariner 12.5 Propel

Windpaddle Sails - Any thoughts?

Post by Zvejys »

Since the last post I have had a couple of tries at driving into the wind, sailing back home and picking my car up later.
The first was from Aspendale to Mentone in summer, with a nice south-westerly at my back I flew home.
No fish at all, maybey too fast to troll.
A big drama at Mentone beach though with the waves up to 1m and breaking.
I flipped in the breakers, lost plenty of good gear and had lifesavers and kiteboarders helping me find stuff; very embarrassing.

This week I had a great afternoon launching from Brighton and sailing one-way with the north-easterly back to Mentone.
Driving down it looked almost too windy but when I got on the water the wind died and I started trolling with paddling only.
After a while a nice breeze picked up and I was away. Felt good to relax and rest the arms and back.
Tried to get two lines in, but stuck to one only with the Windpaddle sail.
Caught a nice salmon around Hampton but nothing else until Rickets Point where the pinkies went off.
Each time I pulled one in I couldn't even get much line out before another was on.
Ended up with four nice fish to 40cm. Pity I coulnt go back into the wind for another pass.
By this stage it was a bit blowier and waves of half a metre.
My first ever fish caught sailing/trolling and most ever fish caught trolling.
A beaut fishing adventure for me.
Barracouta 55cm, Leatherjacket 40cm, Snook 80cm, Trout 60cm, Redfin 35cm, Flathead 49cm, Gummy 95cm, Silver Trevally 25cm, Squid 33cm, Austr. Salmon 52cm, Snapper 67cm